Quantcast

-°-° Saturday GMT °-°-

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Did a ball numbing ride with Canadmos and his Canadian crew this afternoon followed by Mexican food. Wish I could have ridden more with em’ but this crazy cold weather and nasty cold I am getting over whipped my butt this week.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Did I miss something here?
Not really. My boss and eye did not agree on the scope and purpose of my jorb and things went south. The paycheck was nice, but the BS was pretty tough to deal with daily. I am a technician, not a PowerPoint Professional.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Today's ride has me reconsidering a fat bike
For snow riding - their intended purpose - they're actually pretty bitchin'. Only reason I don't have one is there's so few days here where the conditions make them advantageous.
sry...but FUCKING KILL LIST

Totally normal, because you know IT'S JANUARY OVA HERE. :rant:
dude, it’s riding in january. break your devil sticks over your knee and ride your fucking bike grinning ear to ear.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So that's enough to do 2 or 3 pair of skis?
When are you going to apply this magical space age polymer fairy glitter?
Got the 3 ski kit. I figure I should avoid wasting it on my Mantras in case I ditch them after this season, but let’s do up one of yours... Sat the 12th if you’re not planning on heading up that day?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I grew up in New England. I went to college in Maine. I went to grad school in Chicago. Over the past 30 years my parents have lived in upsate NY and midcoast ME. from that cumulative experience, and having lived in temperate NC for over a decade, where 90% of the year I can ride great terrain in shorts, I have nothing but this to say: FFFFFFUUUUUUU WINTERRRRRRRR, and take your fatbikes, pogies, gloves, and lame-ass justifications for such with you to your arctic hell. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've always maintained that fat bikes are purpose built bikes, and for that purpose they are very good.
The only fat bike I've ever ridden was a Pugsley on the beach and it was pretty bitchin. That was almost 10 years ago before they were a thing. After seeing the "mini-fat" full carbon rig in Hood River, I knew it was over.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When do you figure you'll get some snow?
If/when we get a nor'easter down here. At which point there's too much snow for even a fat bike.

They're kinda why I don't have one. My region doesn't get a ton of snow. On the occasions we do, it's either so little a fat bike doesn't offer any real advantage, or so much it's not worth bothering riding at all. On an average winter there might be a dozen or so days where snow conditions are ideal for a fat bike. And I have a hard time justifying another $2k+ on a bike that's gonna get used that little.

If/when we get a nor'easter down here. At which point there's too much snow for even a fat bike.

They're kinda why I don't have one. My region doesn't get a ton of snow. On the occasions we do, it's either so little a fat bike doesn't offer any real advantage, or so much it's not worth bothering riding at all. On an average winter there might be a dozen or so days where snow conditions are ideal for a fat bike. And I have a hard time justifying another $2k+ on a bike that's gonna get used that little.
How many miles have you actually ridden on a fatbike and in what conditions?

Probably around 20 or so miles between demos and just hopping on friends bikes. The demo I did was about 4" of snow but the trails had already been packed down.
So with twenty miles total riding experience, how do you are possibly in a position to pontificate regarding what they're useful for? If you don't want to get one, fine. Otherwise, STFU, it gets boring.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So with twenty miles total riding experience, how do you are possibly in a position to pontificate regarding what they're useful for? If you don't want to get one, fine. Otherwise, STFU, it gets boring.
Every time someone says something disparaging about fat bikes (regardless of the validity) his butthurt-ometer flies off the charts.
That's OK, we are all fallible to logical fallacies. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I emailed the Midge yesterday but haven't heard back (yet.)

Last email I got said he's been in the weeds learning some webcoding for his free-tirement/fun-employed
resale shop in town.

I lurk for the MTB content -- not so much the Facebook aspect -- the skatalogical output is just a side benefit...

On that note though, I do have some monocle wok (personal good news) to share:

I am closing on two properties this month in Island Park ID, which is very close to my favorite riding in the Henrys Mountains west of West Yellowstone, which was on @TreeSaw's tour last summer.

One (tiny) cabin is in Macks Inn and will be a Yellowstone summer rental but it is winter-friendly re: family fatbiking and XC skiing in Harriman State Park, which is part of a 200 mile fatbike sufferfest this weekend:

http://fatpursuit.com/

ETA Vimeo of the locale in wintertime:

Breeder content: the rental is also a stone's throw from the terminus of Big Springs National Recreation Water Trail: a lazy family friendly three-hour float (4.5 mile) through beautiful scenery originating just outside Yellowstone...

After we get it fixed up, the rental should cover costs of the summer-only (at this point) family cabin in the woods with Yale Creek running through it and only 10 minutes away from "new to me" epic biking in the Southern Centennials (Keg Springs CDT local loop FTW...)

So @StiHacka @johnbryanpeters @Pesqueeb @Serial Midget, and other traveling monkeys I'll have plenty of room for anyone who wants to explore the high alpine singletrack goodness and/or Yellowstone.

SWMT/NEID Monkeyfest Part Duh in 2018...
Sweet!!! Congratulations! Maybe we will have another road trip in the future. I'd love to hit some more trails and float with the kids!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Dude they're fuckin' bicycles. You don't need to read a damn dissertation on it. In general you can tell within 5 minutes of riding one whether or not you like it or it sucks a fat one.
Hey, you are not the one saying you need to become an authority first in order for your argument to hold water! ;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
One (tiny) cabin is in Macks Inn and will be a Yellowstone summer rental but it is winter-friendly
will it be available for a day or two towards the end of september.....will be in MT/WY/ID area from 9/20-10-2?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did a ball numbing ride with Canadmos and his Canadian crew this afternoon followed by Mexican food. Wish I could have ridden more with em’ but this crazy cold weather and nasty cold I am getting over whipped my butt this week.
Can confirm. Twas COLD out.

It was colder this morning in North Carolina than what it is here in Ontario right now. FRIG.

Good times.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Not really. My boss and eye did not agree on the scope and purpose of my jorb and things went south. The paycheck was nice, but the BS was pretty tough to deal with daily. I am a technician, not a PowerPoint Professional.
Man, jimmydean....I'm sorry to hear that. I am in a similar position here at my jorb. Increasingly, it's becoming more about how well we navigate a software platform and report on projected billing, and less about actually managing a project.

"....no, Mr. Customer...I didn't get those proofs sent to you for approval because I spent all of my time trying to set up a spreadsheet for what I think my billing will be in April...."