Quantcast

»» Nomad - new or old??

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Based on my experience with Santa Cruz and other bikes of theirs, I've decided to bump up to the Nomad. I do mostly XC and AM riding, but I live now at the base of several ski mtns (bike lifts) so I wanted the option to go burly..My question is should I fork over for something new (like 2010 or newer) or spend much less and get a Nomad from 2008? I'm seeing so many of both and I simply don't know enough about their designs to decide. I understand '08 was the last American-made model, but I'm not sure if that's been much of a difference. I've seen several 08s in great condition, used by people who just never put these tanks to the test. Or I could spend more than 2X that amount for something very recent. Thanks for reading!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If you plan to do a lot of lift riding you should have a lift bike and a trail bike. If finances are tight go cheap/used/oldish on both. You'll still be happier than trying to use one newer/more expensive bike for everything.

Ridge_Rider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
East Coast
I've had both and I would go new for sure, the older models are better descenders, but the newer models (the Al or the Carbon) are much better all-arounder bikes and the collet axles are much easier to maintain.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, I guess I just want a full-suspension bike for my XC riding and just want to do a little of lift riding..definitely not looking to make it my primary mode. If I could get a complete Nomad from '08 with lots of updated parts for, say $1800, bad deal? Here are some of specs and its seems very well-maintained:

6.5 inch of rear travel fox dhx5.0 shock
2011 rockshox lyrik rc2DH 170mm travel fork.
stram x9 everything
Juicy 7 disc brakes
2011 revolution 32 rims
maxis minion dhf front tire 2.5
Max is high roller rear tire 2.5
Straight line flat pedals

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I bought an '08 Nomad with the exact same intention and built it tough.

Then I put it on some lift-serviced runs and immediately wanted something burlier.

Then I got a Driver 8 and now all I want is a V10.

I suggest that you don't buy one bike to do it all, especially if you live at the bottom of a lift(s!).

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I would rent a few bikes at the mtn and try them out to see if you are hooked. Both something in the 6in range and a full on DH bike. Then, determine what you want. If you want a full on DH and a trail bike, then go used. DH bike and something like a 4in xc/trail. If you are happy with a 6in, then get a new Nomad.
Price of a new nomad would be the same as a used DH and trail bike.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
That's great advice. I can say, though, that I'm definitely not going to get into full-on DH stuff. I've done it before and it's great, but I'm more of an xc/am guy. So, that's where the Nomad seemed to fit. Burly enough for some mild DH/FR, but really solid for AM riding. Seems like the 08 Nomads were a good lot and not much has changed design-wise since then. It would be hard to shell out $4500ish for a new Nomad when I could grab a clean used one for less than half from 08.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I've had both and I would go new for sure, the older models are better descenders, but the newer models (the Al or the Carbon) are much better all-arounder bikes and the collet axles are much easier to maintain.
After a few Santa Cruz experiences - including a VP Free that was so maintenance heavy it was ridiculous - I wouldn't have an older generation bike at any price. Of course there are lots of older VPP bikes running about under people who obviously have a different opinion to me. Everyone i know who has tried the new collet axles wouldnt go back though.....