Quantcast

ÅÆØ > Tuesday GTM on Fire > ÅØÆ

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Voted in the local election today. First time in a long time I got to vote. Also fired up the new oven we have installed into the old fireplace today. It's much more efficient than an old fireplace and no smoke in the room.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
doggies got a breakfast surprise: turkey giblets mixed into their kibble. they are now napping at my feet. Coffee then some grub and off to deal with the insanity of the short bus. I have one group that is so out to lunch that I fear they might be driving me insane.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. It was colder than I expected for my track run this morning and my hands froze the entire time. Now I am at work and I am still cold. Fortunately, i have a large coffee sitting in front of me that will soon work its magic. 5 days until my marathon. 3:10 is the goal.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Oh FFS...I get a message that the background panel paint color on some signs we did for a Pinkberry kiosk in San Diego are not the exact shade of Tiger Drylac Breccia they are looking for. **sigh** Now I have to get a hold of the fabricator in Arizona and get this figured out - from North Carolina...while the owner is spinning around on his eyebrow and firing off emails to everyone and their brother. Love my job some days.

Y'all have a good one. I'm going to get some more coffee and maybe stab myself in the head with a pointy stick.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
My breakfast this morning sure was tasty. I took the leftover Spanish rice I made for dinner and cooked it up with some eggs and bacon. Then I topped it with some Mango and cucumber salsa I made over the weekend. Would bang again.

Maybe bikes today? Would like a woods ride but have a ton of stuff to do. Best get after it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

My rental Kia Sportage isn't so bad. Decent power, smooth and quiet and so far has averaged 27 mpg of mixed driving. Quite a departure from my large, heavy, loud truck.

Got a buncha bike stuffs in the back, off to the donation place today!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Got a buncha bike stuffs in the back, off to the donation place today!
Somewhere that takes old bike parts?
I'm after somewhere I can take worn out bike tyres instead of just putting them in the dumpster.

Snowing on the mountains in the distance, hopefully won't reach the house so I can ride this afternoon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
'Morning. It was colder than I expected for my track run this morning and my hands froze the entire time. Now I am at work and I am still cold. Fortunately, i have a large coffee sitting in front of me that will soon work its magic. 5 days until my marathon. 3:10 is the goal.
good luck babs, don't forget your shoes and socks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My breakfast this morning sure was tasty. I took the leftover Spanish rice I made for dinner and cooked it up with some eggs and bacon. Then I topped it with some Mango and cucumber salsa I made over the weekend. Would bang again.

Maybe bikes today? Would like a woods ride but have a ton of stuff to do. Best get after it.
last night i used leftover carne asada, peppers, mushrooms, onioins, and rice and beans, and refried beans and a shitload of jalapenos and some cheese to make the best burrito i've had in ages.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
car monkeys:

my wife's 2014 outback has a bunch of console lights on (check engine, cruise control flashing, and parking brake flashing despite parking brake not being on). it started when we took it to pep boys for the headlight bulb change. they pulled the battery to try to get it and they came on when it was reconnected. when it was at the dealer for the bulbs the looked at it, but when they checked with the scanner it wasn't throwing any codes. so they want it back in for full diagnostic. i checked google and it said disconnect the battery so i did that and left it unplugged overnight. no dice, lights still on. any thoughts? would like to avoid another trip to the dealer if possible.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
car monkeys:

my wife's 2014 outback has a bunch of console lights on (check engine, cruise control flashing, and parking brake flashing despite parking brake not being on). it started when we took it to pep boys for the headlight bulb change. they pulled the battery to try to get it and they came on when it was reconnected. when it was at the dealer for the bulbs the looked at it, but when they checked with the scanner it wasn't throwing any codes. so they want it back in for full diagnostic. i checked google and it said disconnect the battery so i did that and left it unplugged overnight. no dice, lights still on. any thoughts? would like to avoid another trip to the dealer if possible.
Basics first. Check the area they did the work at. See if anything was pinched/damaged. Sounds like something got picked together somehow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Basics first. Check the area they did the work at. See if anything was pinched/damaged. Sounds like something got picked together somehow.
i'll give it a look but there's not a whole heck of a lot in the immediate vicinity of the headlight assembly.

one other thing i forgot to mention, there's an every so slight delay when starting the car that wasn't there before. 1 second tops.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
car monkeys:

Those three lights being on is a signal the car is in limp mode, maybe. I forget...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
car monkeys:

I think the bigger question is why you would take it to someone to have them change the headlight bulb. :clue:

I'd second what @DirtyMike said, check the whole area over. Make sure all wires are connected and the connections are tight and haven't been pinched or anything.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
car monkeys:

its the head gasket indicator light

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Somewhere that takes old bike parts?
I'm after somewhere I can take worn out bike tyres instead of just putting them in the dumpster.

Snowing on the mountains in the distance, hopefully won't reach the house so I can ride this afternoon.
Somewhere that will re-use still good stuff.

Unfortunately I've never found a source to recycle old tires, which is rather bothersome to me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My four year old tried to break out of school yesterday. An alert parent stopped him, but her 4 y.o. son managed to take off half way down the block. she was pissed. Didn't say hi to me when she saw me (she usually would). She sent me an email later to say what happened. The school people had no clue. I know my kid doesn't like school and is constantly trying to escape, but the school's responsibility is to keep him safe...

When I let my wife know she darn near blew a gasket. She flies back home tonight. I'm willing to wager that the first thing she says when she gets off the plane is "we should send him to forest school or his old daycare".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the bigger question is why you would take it to someone to have them change the headlight bulb. :clue:

I'd second what @DirtyMike said, check the whole area over. Make sure all wires are connected and the connections are tight and haven't been pinched or anything.
the dealership were the ones who ultimately replaced the bulbs, if there was something major wrong in the vicinity they likely would have noticed it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Cold and wet today, pretty much the weathers plan for the next few months. I have a bad feeling about this winter.

@jonKranked I would start again with the battery. Make sure you are getting good voltage and it makes good connections. Sounds like it might be something weird there.

My car has a unique feature (only available in the C5 generation) that allows you to run a manual diagnostics mode and it checks and displays all the error codes in each of the systems. They are labeled with an H for "history" and C for "current" and you can clear them. On the way to the vet last week my car started jumping and doing weird things and I kinda limped it into PetSmart. When I went to leave, I got a ton of lights and it ran like crap. I cleared the error codes and it was fine the whole way home. Then on the way in this morning it did it again with the jumpy throttle and threw a check engine light. I made it into the office, but the common error is "P1631 Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect". It seems the funky little key pill is dying. I need to switch to the wifes key (her's is brand new), I guess.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i'll give it a look but there's not a whole heck of a lot in the immediate vicinity of the headlight assembly.

one other thing i forgot to mention, there's an every so slight delay when starting the car that wasn't there before. 1 second tops.
Hopefully they didn't short something. That's how my Volvo died - a short in the O2 sensor wires blew up the ECU.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning Monkeys.

Cold and wet today, pretty much the weathers plan for the next few months. I have a bad feeling about this winter.

@jonKranked I would start again with the battery. Make sure you are getting good voltage and it makes good connections. Sounds like it might be something weird there.

My car has a unique feature (only available in the C5 generation) that allows you to run a manual diagnostics mode and it checks and displays all the error codes in each of the systems. They are labeled with an H for "history" and C for "current" and you can clear them. On the way to the vet last week my car started jumping and doing weird things and I kinda limped it into PetSmart. When I went to leave, I got a ton of lights and it ran like crap. I cleared the error codes and it was fine the whole way home. Then on the way in this morning it did it again with the jumpy throttle and threw a check engine light. I made it into the office, but the common error is "P1631 Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect". It seems the funky little key pill is dying. I need to switch to the wifes key (her's is brand new), I guess.
Sounds like a dying ECU. :nerd:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
connections seem clean, the battery is new within the last few months. should i disconnect both terminals? i only disconnected negative last night.
I would not really worry about just trying to clear the lights. You might have an actual problem, that will popup later. I personally wouldn't clear the lights without knowing why they came on in the first place. And the fact that the light bulbs were changed at the time that the lights came on, might just be a coincidence.

Instead of taking it to Subaru for a full diagnostic, which I'm guessing will cost you cash, go to one of the local auto parts stores and borrow one of their scanners.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would not really worry about just trying to clear the lights. You might have an actual problem, that will popup later. I personally wouldn't clear the lights without knowing why they came on in the first place. And the fact that the light bulbs were changed at the time that the lights came on, might just be a coincidence.

Instead of taking it to Subaru for a full diagnostic, which I'm guessing will cost you cash, go to one of the local auto parts stores and borrow one of their scanners.
did you read the part in my original post where the dealer ran their scanner and said it wasn't throwing any codes?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I drove in this morning, as I was lagging after riding home at the end of a 14 hour day yesterday.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
connections seem clean, the battery is new within the last few months. should i disconnect both terminals? i only disconnected negative last night.
I would think just the neg would be plenty, but maybe. The pos terminal bolt on mine was too rounded to get a wrench on, so I got one from the dealer for $1.72, went home and dropped it under the battery try. :panic:

I couldn't see it, so I went back, got another and was extra careful. Then after I tightened the hold down bolt, I dropped my 13mm deep socket down the same damn hole. When I shined a light down, I could see both the bolt and the socket sitting next to each other. Went to Ace and got a retractable magnet for $2.39 and got both out. I always thought about getting one of these whenever at Harbor Freight but never have. Now I don't know how I lived so long without one. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
did you read the part in my original post where the dealer ran their scanner and said it wasn't throwing any codes?
You also said that they want you to come back for a full diagnostic, which I am willing to bet that you will have to pay for. They're called stealerships for a reason. :tinfoil:

I would at the very least independently verify that there are no codes, before handing the car over to them and paying their diagnostic fee. Or more importantly, taking their word that there are no codes and finding a work-around to get the lights to go off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You also said that they want you to come back for a full diagnostic, which I am willing to bet that you will have to pay for. They're called stealerships for a reason. :tinfoil:

I would at the very least independently verify that there are no codes, before handing the car over to them and paying their diagnostic fee. Or more importantly, taking their word that there are no codes and finding a work-around to get the lights to go off.
hence i'm trying to figure this out myself before we take it back in. good call on the independent code check.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Last place in trivia last nite. DFL FTMFW.
I was just there for the Melvins on tap though.

Flying to FL tonight on a red eye. may need a bottle of cremant and a benadryl to pre game it.