Quantcast

ƷƛƸ Friday GMT ƷƛƸ

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i haven't been climbing consistently enough lately to be at the level to take the lead climbing course at my gym. our gym requires you to be able to climb every 5.9 route in the gym to take it, plus you have to have your own rope for lead.
My main climbing partner in the way back was a soaking wet 125#. She had to strap into the anchors on the floor so she didn't get yanked into oblivion. Much amusement was had the first time she tried to belay (against my suggestion).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
WOOOOO happy Friday yall!

Ride last night was PRIME. The dirt was perfect, with just the right balance between a letting the tires slide a little bit and providing mondo-levels of grip.

I've ridden in that spot twice this week and both times I've seen a guy cruising around in full enderpo mode with goggles and half shell helmet. These are XC trails...

Also ran into a guy pretty much wearing one of these :twitch:;
Thank you to Strava fly-by feature, I was able to find a picture of said dude. One piece skin suit.:confused:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
5 mile zombiejog at 5:30 this morning

My wife thing decided to ruin our lives with alpacas. Shes been wanting an alpaca for a while. I finally caved and said ok, so she bought seven of the fucking things. At least they supposedly taste good so there is that. So the last two months have been all my spare time building corrals and shade structures from used building materials. Building the stuff has been fun though, power tools, beer and bong shed. My lady is getting pretty good with the nailgun with a baby on her back. Everything is old west themed, built the goats a little saloon and now they get in bar fights over alfalfa. We also named it alpacastan. At least i get to go ride my bike today.
I need to show this post to my wife. She's been bugging about alpacas or goats for sometime. We'd need a big enough property to deep pit them pasture them, so for now it's not happening.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My wife thing decided to ruin our lives with alpacas. Shes been wanting an alpaca for a while. I finally caved and said ok, so she bought seven of the fucking things. At least they supposedly taste good so there is that. So the last two months have been all my spare time building corrals and shade structures from used building materials. Building the stuff has been fun though, power tools, beer and bong shed. My lady is getting pretty good with the nailgun with a baby on her back. Everything is old west themed, built the goats a little saloon and now they get in bar fights over alfalfa. We also named it alpacastan. At least i get to go ride my bike today.
pics/stfu

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
i haven't been climbing consistently enough lately to be at the level to take the lead climbing course at my gym. our gym requires you to be able to climb every 5.9 route in the gym to take it, plus you have to have your own rope for lead.
The gym I'm at makes you take the lead test on a 10b or harder. Currently they have nothing set between 10a and 10d that you can take a safe whip from (they reset the wall for a comp a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten enough routs back up) so he's testing on a 10d which is probably right at the limit of what he can lead. I'm sure he would have passed by now if we were testing on an easier climb lol.

You should definitely send all those 9's so you can take the lead class. Leading is way more fun and way more satisfying. The only problem is that you'll never enjoy top roping the same way again. Also, look into gym cut ropes. You can get a 30m or 40m rope pretty cheap (I just picked one up for $70).

My main climbing partner in the way back was a soaking wet 125#. She had to strap into the anchors on the floor so she didn't get yanked into oblivion. Much amusement was had the first time she tried to belay (against my suggestion).
Big guy problems. My girlfriend is usually my belay partner and she weighs in somewhere around there. When I take a lead fall on her, she meets me half way :rofl:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
23 road miles on teh hard tail. Beautiful day but the dirt is definitely moist so i feel like I chose wisely. Stretch of construction on hwy 24 made for a super dicey mile or so. I remain unconvinced that rational people road ride. It's now Gin and Tonic time.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The gym I'm at makes you take the lead test on a 10b or harder. Currently they have nothing set between 10a and 10d that you can take a safe whip from (they reset the wall for a comp a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten enough routs back up) so he's testing on a 10d which is probably right at the limit of what he can lead. I'm sure he would have passed by now if we were testing on an easier climb lol.

You should definitely send all those 9's so you can take the lead class. Leading is way more fun and way more satisfying. The only problem is that you'll never enjoy top roping the same way again. Also, look into gym cut ropes. You can get a 30m or 40m rope pretty cheap (I just picked one up for $70).
i'm not sure what grade they test at for the lead cert, you've gotta be able to top rope 5.9, but the routes they have set for lead go all the way down to 5.7.

right now i've been climbing so infrequently that i'm barely putting up anything 5.8. i want / need to drop like 20lbs, and i'm trying to get serious about it, but have been struggling for a number of reasons.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
bouldered after putting the kid to bed. i really gotta find a more reliable belay partner. bar for wings and beers afterwards, thankfully not crowded. came home, more beer, shed, dishes, passed out on the couch.
I'm not a climber, but I always thought bouldering was defined by no ropes, and therefore no belay?!

Isn't it a bit hot in your neck of the woods for Alpaca?!

It's still morning but I have decided to take 4 hours for lunch and hit the trails for 2 of them. Need to stop by the bike shop and get a proper XC helmet as the enderpo is too hot for me and, as @canadmos pointed out, they are all XC trails around these parts. Enjoy your frozen burritos IMA go riding.
Get this one and report back on breathability... I'm very curious: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Open-Face-Helmets,53/Kali-Protectives/Interceptor,18627#product-reviews/2733

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Went on a work field trip to our distribution warehouse in exchange for a half day. Any time I don't have to spend in front of my computer is time well spent. Already hit up the bike shop on the way home.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
i'm not sure what grade they test at for the lead cert, you've gotta be able to top rope 5.9, but the routes they have set for lead go all the way down to 5.7.

right now i've been climbing so infrequently that i'm barely putting up anything 5.8. i want / need to drop like 20lbs, and i'm trying to get serious about it, but have been struggling for a number of reasons.
Yeah, stupid climbing is so weight dependent. I'm definitely the only guy in the gym over 200lb who climbs hard shit on lead. I feel like I could finally crack 5.12 if I dropped 10lb but I really like beer and I have a late night snacking habit that might be bong shed related.

PS Keep in mind that gym grades are super variable and the one I'm at seems to grade pretty soft. I'm nowhere near sending 5.12 outside. I can barely get up a hard 10 on real rock.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, stupid climbing is so weight dependent. I'm definitely the only guy in the gym over 200lb who climbs hard shit on lead. I feel like I could finally crack 5.12 if I dropped 10lb but I really like beer and I have a late night snacking habit that might be bong shed related.

PS Keep in mind that gym grades are super variable and the one I'm at seems to grade pretty soft. I'm nowhere near sending 5.12 outside. I can barely get up a hard 10 on real rock.
well, weight is only part of it. it's really strength to weight ratios. there's a few bigger dudes at my gym who can put up 5.12+ routes no problem.

right now i'm around 210# and my strength is pretty much crap. double whammy so i need to drop weight and get some strength. but i like beer an awful lot

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
In.

Business as usual. Boy is still mad at the world and not going to School.. So, I've left it to him, no games or electronics or fun, instead, I'm putting him to work at my parents place to get their yard finished...

I'm still a mechanic, not a mangler yet.. But still exploring opportunities to move up.

Decided my car is no longer for sale, I'll just work harder to afford to keep it rather than crush my "soul" (see:ginger) by selling my double unicorn....

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
well, weight is only part of it. it's really strength to weight ratios. there's a few bigger dudes at my gym who can put up 5.12+ routes no problem.

right now i'm around 210# and my strength is pretty much crap. double whammy so i need to drop weight and get some strength. but i like beer an awful lot
Install a pull up bar or hang board in your bong shed. You can get faded while you get fit :banana:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

i stumbled upon that actor jason momoas instagram.....that fucker is huge and can climb...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Super happy with my ride this afternoon. At the end of last season I was riding this loop in about 85 minutes and nailing all the tricky up hill bits. The first rides I did this year were in th 105 minute range, today's ride was just under 90 minutes, summer legs may be back...

At the bike shop I picked up a specialized helmet that came with 2 sets of pads, my fancy pants Troy Lee that cost a lot more only come with 1 set and it currently stinks like ass :monkey:

I have to be back at work in less than hour, debating if shower is needed...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Winter beard is gone. I look like I'm 12. :disgust: Pretty sure winter beard will = full time beard when it comes back. I don't care what the wife says.
Mariko likes to marvel that I had no beard in my wedding photos. May that never occur again (both another wedding and no-beard-ness).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Went Fishing, cooked and ate them. Walleyes are tasty. So where the Perch. Drinking beer now. Batting cages if the weather holds out. Bongshed remains elusive.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Install a pull up bar or hang board in your bong shed. You can get faded while you get fit :banana:
you're in east bay, did you hear about that gym in SF that lets people smoke while they work out?

edit:
now that I think about it. I feel like cops would just line up at the exit of said gym and wait for their food to come to them.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
you're in east bay, did you hear about that gym in SF that lets people smoke while they work out?

edit:
now that I think about it. I feel like cops would just line up at the exit of said gym and wait for their food to come to them.
A quick googling shows that you are right!

New San Francisco gym will allow members to smoke pot while working out

A former pro football star and an advocate for athlete marijuana use have teamed up to open a gym in San Francisco that they say will be one of the first in the world to allow members to smoke pot while working out.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-pot-gym-20160706-snap-story.html

Not sure why the cops would wait there rather than at the local bar. It's legal to smoke in a private setting, and they would have to prove a driver is impaired, which is way harder to do with pot than with alcohol.