Quantcast

•• Monday GMT ••

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with many state borders between me and my family. My wife is quite close with her family, however. Perhaps dysfunctionally so, and I’m not ready for a divorce.
There is a reason I moved 700 miles from my family in Los Angeles to Humbolt county in 1978 and Last year we shipped my Mother in Law off to the middle son in New Mexico from near us in the East Bay. I miss her not. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Still alive and well though also.

/goes off to find a photo of the monstrosity they just finished on US40

Seemingly not, probably ~1ft below the concrete surface. I'll snap a photo in the morning as I'll welcome any ideas other than spending a fortune on rental tools from HD.
If it is just frozen [and you don't see any detritus], then maybe you should run a heating cable down the line while you're "scoping" things out?
1658802737561.png

Of course if this were my problem, I would ham-fist the heating cable and get it snagged on something inside the pipe, necessitating full jackhammering/replacement of slab and eleventy billionty swear words and North American pesos...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Bison are the kings of YNP. They are scary and never moved out of our way once when we encountered them on trails, which was practically multiple times a day. The brown bears fuckin ran 85% of the time.
I have basically no fear of wolves.

I feel like I can read Bison fairly well.
Moose? Much, much less so.
Big cats? Terrifying, but usually want nothing to do with you.
Grizzly? FUCKING NOPE

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah being around a bear while he is thinking/focused on food is not going to work out well.

Most bears ran before I could take their pics but here's two that really didn't care about us. One was far off and the other not so much. You guys are preconditioned for potato cam anyway...

Resized_20220725_210319.jpeg

Resized_20220725_205623.jpeg

That first one with the school bus neck had just beat up some wolves and been snacking on an elk carcass. Can I post a pic of an elk carcass after wolves and bears?

Attachments

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah being around a bear while he is thinking/focused on food is not going to work out well.

Most bears ran before I could take their pics but here's two that really didn't care about us. One was far off and the other not so much. You guys are preconditioned for potato cam anyway...

View attachment 179652

View attachment 179653

That first one with the school bus neck had just beat up some wolves and been snacking on an elk carcass. Can I post a pic of an elk carcass after wolves and bears?
July pics

pussy month

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

View attachment 179652

View attachment 179653

Have you watched the series "Alone"? The first season was nuts, there were a few tap outs because of bears.
I'll have our angry Australian animals any day over bears.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Have you watched the series "Alone"? The first season was nuts, there were a few tap outs because of bears.
I'll have our angry Australian animals any day over bears.
Yeah I don't want to run into bears in the woods. I haven't watched the show you mention so I can't comment on it. I will say there are basic rules which make things safer if followed.

The trick is not surprising them or getting in their way. I understand that's not always possible so I carry bear spray in bear country.

Hell I had a rattlesnake hanging off my shoe a little over a month ago.

In the woods moose are more common to see and are unpredictable and dangerous.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah I don't want to run into bears in the woods. I haven't watched the show you mention so I can't comment on it. I will say there are basic rules which make things safer if followed.

The trick is not surprising them or getting in their way. I understand that's not always possible so I carry bear spray in bear country.

Hell I had a rattlesnake hanging off my shoe a little over a month ago.

In the woods moose are more common to see and are unpredictable and dangerous.
Deer kill more people than any other wild animal by a large margin. I assume that includes swamp donkeys.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@6thElement has a resident bear or three that maintain his garbage cans, IIRC.
They like breaking into garages too, to take care of any garbage you might have forgotten to put out into the dumpster for them. (Neighbourhood house from this past week)

#fullservicebears

20220723_124029.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They like breaking into garages too, to take care of any garbage you might have forgotten to put out into the dumpster for them. (Neighbourhood house from this past week)

#fullservicebears

View attachment 179666
That obviously didn't happen because syadasti read something on the colorado fish and wildlife page that said that was impossible

gonefirefightin

free wieners
We followed rules that lady didn't follow. In Pelican Valley the YNP wouldn't even let us use tents - we had to stay in their backcountry cabin (@gonefirefightin knows it). Pelican Valley has an 8pm curfew so the bears can roam freely.
Their ignorance of calling it a "predatory attack" is even more asinine than the ignorance of the food handling of the party. One simple rule of bear country is "possession" if it feels it can have possession of a food source (humans included) it will persist.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
images.jpg

#OneLessBear

Meanwhile in Idahoozle, they've killed more than a handful of grizzlies the past two summers.

Sawtell Peak [and its plentiful pine nuts] is THE migratory corridor for bears leaving YNP for the Centennials / Gravvellies...

#ButMyFreedom[to leave food outside my house and/or campsite]

Last year:

This year:

Attachments

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you ever want to take a culinary field trip, there are mountains outside of carson city that are nothing but pinions. I've gone and picked them a few times (and dealt with that god awful sap). The range is called, wait for it, the pinenuts. Depending on how long you want to put up with the sap, you can walk out of there with trashbags with minimal effort.

Last edited: