Quantcast

€£¥ Monderp gmt ¥£€

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The new builds I've seen in our area are all low, 2ft off the ground and stapled up to the boxes. Nothing around here is flood risk though, so that could be of difference. Thinking about it, California builds are like what you've shown. Probably local code variance. Either way, the stapling of the wire to the front of the stud is the fucking scary part.

@jonKranked Mine

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'd lease if I had a company picking up my auto expense, that way you're in a new vehicle every 30 months or so.
Otherwise yea, I usually own cars for a loooong time in order to make $$ sense.
Minus the M, that's generally my plan unless I borked it. Plan for the Subaru is another 10 years, same with the Infiniti. The Infiniti will be fully paid off with the M being sold, then we're done with cars for a decade unless they get wrecked. We average about 15-17k per year.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
i'm hoping to get at least another 6 years out of it. although the wife is already talking about wanting a new car, and her current one isn't even paid off yet :think:
You're screwed.

We've not had a real car payment since ~2006 when we paid off our van. So now we have:

'96 Subaru Outback
'01 Honda Odyssey
'14 F150

All paid off and basically worth nothing... :D

It's when you negotiate a better purchase price with financing and then make a payment to pay it all off in month 1.
This is how we bought the truck... Costco program, finance through Ford Credit to chop a hefty amount off the top, then pay it off a month later.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You can't win that. Pay cash for a 3yo Honda minivan. Trust me.
the last time i drove a minivan i totaled it, so.... no.

to be fair though, neither of our cars can hold more than 4 people (5 if you're squeezing in the back without car seats), so this will likely prove problematic down the road.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You can't win that. Pay cash for a 3yo Honda minivan. Trust me.
If you'd be looking at a top trim model anyway then the Pacifica Hybrid is actually a good deal. I got mine for invoice - $1k - $7.5k Federal - $5k Colorado (not applicable to JK, of course). Compared to a slow-depreciating Honda a new vehicle with a warranty* seemed like a good idea.

* Yes, it's a FCA. Built proudly by Canadians, though!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
If you'd be looking at a top trim model anyway then the Pacifica Hybrid is actually a good deal. I got mine for invoice - $1k - $7.5k Federal - $5k Colorado (not applicable to JK, of course). Compared to a slow-depreciating Honda a new vehicle with a warranty* seemed like a good idea.
I dunno. Chrysler products NEVER seem like a good idea to me... esp if you're gonna keep them for 10-15 years. Or 20. Actually, probably realistically, 25. :D

the last time i drove a minivan i totaled it, so.... no.
Yeah - but you're an old man with kids now.

to be fair though, neither of our cars can hold more than 4 people (5 if you're squeezing in the back without car seats), so this will likely prove problematic down the road.
Trust me... :homer:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah - but you're an old man with kids now.
her outback has roughly half the miles as my impreza does. the current plan is whenever my impreza goes, she gets the new car and i take the outback. right now she likes the subaru ascent (despite the fact it isn't really available yet, but won't be an issue by the time we're looking). however it's not substantially larger than an outback, but does have a 3rd row of seating.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
her outback has roughly half the miles as my impreza does. the current plan is whenever my impreza goes, she gets the new car and i take the outback. right now she likes the subaru ascent (despite the fact it isn't really available yet, but won't be an issue by the time we're looking). however it's not substantially larger than an outback, but does have a 3rd row of seating.
3rd row seating is a sham, unless you're talking a van. :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
my vehicles

2000 Mercedes C280 Free 100k on the odo
2003 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel single rear wheel Paid off in 2003 145,000 on the odo
2011 F350 Crew Cab Diesel dual rear wheel bought used for 38K paid off. 105k on the odo
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI recall trade in of our old TDI. we paid 4k plus tax, its paid off. 14000 on ODO now 60 miles when we got it

Ran my 2003 Volvo to 260000 when the motor finally died

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think our car averages about once a year. I was annoyed when I washed all the winter dirt off a couple of weeks ago and discovered some a'hole had doored it leaving a few dents...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.