Quantcast

ΩΩΩΩ Torsdag GTM ΩΩΩΩ

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Off to VT for a long weekend of riding.
Basing out of Burke but agenda includes dh at Killington tomorrow, some new stuff near KT this afternoon and a full day of xc/park/shuttles at KT/Burke on Saturday.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Could we just skip ahead to late October please?
i am expecting temps to be in the 70's when i get back to nc next week....thanks.

sleeping in the back of a 4 runner will not do your back any favors.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Third morning in a row with 5:15 wake up to go swim. I had a good 25 mile road ride last night and managed to avoid getting thunderstormed on. Keeping all the efforts easy this week with a half marathon on the Saturday agenda.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! I slept in until 6:45 today. I should be off work by 2PM and on the trail by 3:30 or so. The opportunity for daytime riding in decent weather should not be missed. I'll be in Spokane at the end of the month, weather looks better there.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Dad's birthday today, he made it to 72 years of age. Having some green chile and cake this evening to celebrate. Then I think he's getting back on the road tomorrow, headed back out in his camper for a trip.

The sickness lingers. I'm still one ginormous hacking booger factory.
I've been having trouble with allergies lately, and I think it's been amplified by a couple of wildfires in Colorado.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
On yesterday's post-work ride, I cleared a sketchy bridge water crossing no one else dared attempt in front of 5 coworkers. Required one of those sweet "front brake, swing-the-rear-end-around-for-alignment" moves to get onto it, too. Consisted of boards sitting on top of a 20ft aluminum ladder supported only at the ends. Wheels wound up falling in between the boards and rode across the second half on the rungs.

Best part is, there's video proof said feat occured (I swear it was sketchier than it looked):

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
There was no choice.
I took one years ago prior to an interview for promotion, there were something like 4000 questions concerning paranoia and theft / miss use of company property and acceptable levels of drug and alcohol consumption. Somehow I passed... also a lot of "what would you do" if you saw such behaviors in others who were also in charge of protecting / maximizing company assets.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I took one years ago prior to an interview for promotion, there were something like 4000 questions concerning paranoia and theft / miss use of company property and acceptable levels of drug and alcohol consumption. Somehow I passed... also a lot of "what would you do" if you saw such behaviors in others who were also in charge of protecting / maximizing company assets.
Very different from the one I took. This was Neo-Pi-R test which is about personality dimensions with 250 questions.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Dad's birthday today, he made it to 72 years of age. Having some green chile and cake this evening to celebrate. Then I think he's getting back on the road tomorrow, headed back out in his camper for a trip.

I've been having trouble with allergies lately, and I think it's been amplified by a couple of wildfires in Colorado.
How'd the lift go? Everything feel pretty baller after the alignment?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm a sneezy mess, too. And in the tired club, thanks to teething baby that woke up far too early.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Boss signed me up for a voluntary mentorship program, and told me after the fact during my mid-year last month, stating "I hope you're ok with that?"...to which I responded "Do I have a choice?" and it sort of ended there. Sort of forgot about it until last week, when I got a meeting invite from her boss/site engineering manager (who is running the program) for the "program kickoff meeting and icebreaker lunch" that's 1/2 a day long. Rather than begrudgedly go through some BS I'd much rather not be at, I emailed my boss saying thanks, but no thanks. I worded it as respectfully and politely as possible that I appreciate the opportunity, but really have no interest.

So now she (or I, really don't care which) has to tell her boss that I'm retracting my "acceptance" to the program.

So I guess career limiting...not really. But definitely not the best move if I wanted to move up in the engineering dept at this place...which I don't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Boss signed me up for a voluntary mentorship program, and told me after the fact during my mid-year last month, stating "I hope you're ok with that?"...to which I responded "Do I have a choice?" and it sort of ended there. Sort of forgot about it until last week, when I got a meeting invite from her boss/site engineering manager (who is running the program) for the "program kickoff meeting and icebreaker lunch" that's 1/2 a day long. Rather than begrudgedly go through some BS I'd much rather not be at, I emailed my boss saying thanks, but no thanks. I worded it as respectfully and politely as possible that I appreciate the opportunity, but really have no interest.

So now she (or I, really don't care which) has to tell her boss that I'm retracting my "acceptance" to the program.

So I guess career limiting...not really. But definitely not the best move if I wanted to move up in the engineering dept at this place...which I don't.
it's all in how you spin it. "i'm too busy for this shit"

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
it's all in how you spin it. "i'm too busy for this shit"
That's 1 of 2 driving factors. The other being I don't believe a mentor is something that should be assigned to you. I have plenty of people I consider "mentors" inside and outside of my company/field, but I consider them so based on their accomplishments/attitude, not because their name was picked out of a hat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's 1 of 2 driving factors. The other being I don't believe a mentor is something that should be assigned to you. I have plenty of people I consider "mentors" inside and outside of my company/field, but I consider them so based on their accomplishments/attitude, not because their name was picked out of a hat.
yea, my company has a formalized mentorship program, but it's more for people that are on management tracts. eff that noise.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My girlfriend is in the program at her work. In fact, last night (for the second time in about a month), she had to spend about an hour on the phone with her mentor at 7:30pm talking about who the fuck knows what. It delayed the process of us getting beers.

And that my friends, is the real issue at hand.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My girlfriend is in the program at her work. In fact, last night (for the second time in about a month), she had to spend about an hour on the phone with her mentor at 7:30pm talking about who the fuck knows what. It delayed the process of us getting beers.

And that my friends, is the real issue at hand.
is your girlfriend not capable of multitasking? one can be on the phone while drinking beers

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
How'd the lift go? Everything feel pretty baller after the alignment?
That whole process was quite the adventure... lots of frozen bolts and stuff. New springs are REAL stiff, so compressing them to assemble the struts was... challenging. But yeah, it's all in and back together. Truck drives awesomely well, I love the new suspension. Gained about 4-5" of lift on the front, way more than the stated 2-1/2" because the front shocks were so badly worn out. I do have an ABS light on now, which is not super bueno and will likely need to go to a shop to get sorted.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Monday the forecast for my Pisgah trip this weekend was looking really shitty, but today, it rawks, down to a 20% chance of rain.

Looking forward to spending all day in the woods without the sound of traffic. Last chance to rip the crap out of some rocks and roots before they get covered in leaves. Fall is not my favorite season for riding simply because I have to slow down in the corners and to avoid holes that get obscured.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Last chance to rip the crap out of some rocks and roots before they get covered in leaves. Fall is not my favorite season for riding simply because I have to slow down in the corners and to avoid holes that get obscured.
man . . . I love it when the leaves come down. for some reason it makes me ride with more (blind) confidence not knowing quite what i'm rolling over. never really had it bite me with a bad wreck yet *knocks frantically on wooden desk*

re: mentorship . . . my boss keeps trying to "mentor" me - i've got no time for that crap; i have mentors in the field and could move up/leave if i wanted to. but i don't, for a number of reasons. so i just smile outwardly and roll my eyes/laugh inwardly.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I wish I could have a mentor who could teach me about actual engineering. Not just a single company's repertoire, but honest to goodness engineering/manufacturing principles that aren't specific to a single product or industry. Perhaps I'm just being cynical but that kind of knowledge seems to be in short supply these days.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
man . . . I love it when the leaves come down. for some reason it makes me ride with more (blind) confidence not knowing quite what i'm rolling over. never really had it bite me with a bad wreck yet *knocks frantically on wooden desk*
I have a tendency to pop off of water bars, roots, etc. and have eaten shit too many times from landing in leaves. On OVT I hit so hard after getting taken out by pine needles and leaves on hard pack, that it took a few minutes to compose myself. Full on DH racing style crash without pads. Actually hit with enough force to knock the nose piece out of my glasses.