Quantcast

∆=∆ I Sat on a Turd Day ∆=∆

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We just did a bunch of land clearing. Goals were to reduce fire danger, improve / protect some legacy trees and tree stands and to open a few acres to plant grapes. I’ve probably got a half dozen mid sized (24”) oaks and 3 dozen mid size dougs (all too knotty for commercial mills).

We found some old oaks that are 40”+ and some stands of dougs not quite as big. Left all of those standing…

eta: out here unless you’ve got multiple truck loads of commercially viable trees, you can’t even get someone to talk to you. I just want to use all those trees for something more than firewood…
Craigslist, wood working forums, etc. Local guys will want it. Look for places that do custom live-edge furniture; see who they buy stuff from or if they would do it themselves.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I did a quick google search after my post and the intarwebz say that @stoney is probably right.

However, I am happy to hear you’ve been able to mill after a year. My oak trees are sitting in stacks surrounded by 4’ of mud. I won’t be able to get to them until June.

I figured a 660 was probably the minimum for milling. I’ll probably start with something small and soft - like some 24” dougs.
It all depends on if you are air drying or kiln drying. Kilns=mill that shit asap. Air it’s a little different game. I use the rule of think 1 year per 1” of board. So the 12’x3”x48” walnut I milled is going to be 3 years at least. But if I can let dry for a year still as a log it will help with some of the end splitting.
For @Adventurous Id try to find a used set up. But the bigger issue is if you have a dry well vented place to stack and stick your milled lumber. If not don’t waste your time

Also forgot, I’m only milling live edge. If your end goal is dimensional lumber a band saw mill is much faster/cheaper and the timelyness is also a factor too. Ok I’ll shut up now.

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I keep seeing Alaskan sawmills pop up on marketplace for cheap money. Tempted to grab one and do something with all the downed hardwood on my property, but it probably isn't worth it.

Good lumber is expensive. Sadly.
They can be hard to operate. We have a portable sawmill that we leveled a spot and put in rails so we could mill our own lumber. Works great!