Quantcast

+√π© Shart-a-Day ®π√÷

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We don't push nitrogen into the rooms per se, but have a machine that scrubs out the O2 in these resin beds and puts the scrubbed atmosphere back into the rooms. Other people use nitrogen generators though. Its something we have looked at before. It works really well on rooms that are hard to seal up.
Correct me if I'm wrong but o2 makes fruit ripen quicker. So essentially two ways of trying to accomplish the same thing, no? Does one prove to be more effective than the other?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Is nitrogen why they don't decay?
We bring the o2 down to around 2% and let the co2 come up to 1.5%. We also hold the fruit at around 33 degrees. These days alot of people are also cheming the room before its sealed. Its probably a combination of all these things which prevents ripening. Also the condition of the fruit going into the room plays a big role.

Correct me if I'm wrong but o2 makes fruit ripen quicker. So essentially two ways of trying to accomplish the same thing, no? Does one prove to be more effective than the other?
Each system is basically dumping nitrogen back into the room. One system re-circulates room air and uses just big ass vacuum pumps. The generator system is pushing outside generated nitrogen into a room, maintaining a positive pressure to keep all the leaks from letting outside air in. It requires a big ass 150 psi air compressor / heating equipment.

If you have tight rooms the air compressor is over kill. Tight rooms can be sealed up and then you get to watch the fruit consume all the o2 in the room and the co2 starts climbing. Once on set point we introduce o2 to keep the fruit alive. If you dont vent in o2 the levels will drop so far all the fruit dies and it is a knarly mess.

Leaky rooms can require constant baby sitting to keep on set point.