Quantcast

□■□ Monday GMT □■□

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fortunately the cold/tight combo numbed me back to the balls of my feet fairly quickly. But yeah - I had to take numerous breaks. It was so fucking cold. I had my NF Himalayan down mitts with hand warmers and my fingers were STILL getting cold on the tram run. :dead:
tell me again the story of why you people like skiing so much?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Annual neuro appointment this morning so I can keep getting my anti-seizure meds. New nurse practitioner is uh... attractive. Uncomfortable eye contact after doing physical test and eye exams (she got real close like). 10/10 would do again.

The updates to the Anschutz Medical campus in the last year are amazing, as Toshi can point out. The traffic in the area is a bit dodgy, I'm not sure why Toshi decides to ride in that area. I wouldn't put it high up on my to do list.

Otherwise work around the house over the weekend. I got the self-leveling concrete put in where we are laying tile in the basement bathroom. I ran just short, so I get to do another layer sometime this week and can hopefully get the base layer installed during the week. Wifey wanted to look at a bunch of houses this weekend, including new builds in Backcountry. The bubble was burst on that when we found out that beyond the cost of the house, you have to pay an additional $20k+ for a lot. It's not a lot on the house, but when you put it into the total cost it adds up and puts what would be the top end of my comfortable range for the house over the mark of go for.

I am now officially one week from my last training, so I get to run tonight and see how much concrete dust I get to cough up. So yeah!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
How the heck did you cope with the pain? I have super tight Lange boots - super precise for tight aggressive skiing - but they are also super painful and cold. I frequently have to jump out of them to get the blood flow to my toes again.
I come from a ski racing background and I can't stand those super tight/stiff boots anymore. My boots now are a semi-freestyle terrain park type boots and they are amazing. Super flexible and very comfortable. I even took out the stock insoles and put in a pair of Dr Shoals... I could wear those things all day without thinking twice.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
because they have actual skiing. not the downhill ice skating that exists on this side of the continent
That's pretty much why I stopped skiing..that stuff sucks. Oh and the lift crowds when half of Toronto decides to go skiing on the weekends.

Though, on my failed hike attempt on Saturday, I did see some ski tracks going down some of the ridges out in the bush in the powder. That stuff looks fun and might be worth a pair of short skiis?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
because they have actual skiing. not the downhill ice skating that exists on this side of the continent
Hell, when I look at the stuff Heidi and GFF get, it is NOTHING like the rain/snow mix the Mt Hood gets. I tried to snowboard here when I first moved. But the number of great snow days I had in 3 years I could count on one hand. I made 5 different trips to Bend and all failed to result in ski weather. My stuff has been in a bag for at least 10 years since I took the boy up years ago.

When it comes to bikes and motos, the weather is almost never a factor. After all the driving, the cost of tickets, expense of beers, all for meh conditions was frustrating. I am glad there are those that can enjoy it, though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When it comes to bikes and motos, the weather is almost never a factor. After all the driving, the cost of tickets, expense of beers, all for meh conditions was frustrating. I am glad there are those that can enjoy it, though.
when i still snowboarded regularly, we'd carpool, and have a cooler full of parking lot beers. same as lift beers. coleman stove to cook ramen.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The updates to the Anschutz Medical campus in the last year are amazing, as Toshi can point out. The traffic in the area is a bit dodgy, I'm not sure why Toshi decides to ride in that area. I wouldn't put it high up on my to do list.
I'm on the sidewalk next to Peoria from 25th to Montview and am on roads on campus. Everything else is on a dedicated multi use path, though, so as long as someone doesn't hop the curb on Peoria and pin me to the golf course fence…

Our lot premium was $25k, fwiw, and I was super psyched it wasn't higher since it's a big lot by my builder's standards.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
tell me again the story of why you people like skiing so much?
I readily admit it's an expensive, often uncomfortable experience. East coast/cascade concrete comments hold true, too, although I had plenty of fun at Stevens and Crystal. That just goes to show how much fun a good day can be if it outweighs all that.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That's pretty much why I stopped skiing..that stuff sucks. Oh and the lift crowds when half of Toronto decides to go skiing on the weekends.

Though, on my failed hike attempt on Saturday, I did see some ski tracks going down some of the ridges out in the bush in the powder. That stuff looks fun and might be worth a pair of short skiis?
See post #10 for the skis you are looking for.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Machine groomed granular?
I think they mean ice sheets, sometimes covered with deeper snow. :D I grew up on hills that had no grooming whatsoever, very little snow making, and it rained every other day even in good winters so the trails were either ice with natural bumps or ice glazed bumps. I like East coast skiing. :busted: Since wife's knee injury I don't ski that often anymore therefore I am gonna stay with my torturous almost-plugs for a little longer, I guess.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think they mean ice sheets, sometimes covered with deeper snow. :D I grew up on hills that had no grooming whatsoever, very little snow making, and it rained every other day even in good winters so the trails were either ice with natural bumps or ice glazed bumps. I like East coast skiing. :busted: Since wife's knee injury I don't ski that often anymore therefore I am gonna stay with my torturous almost-plugs for a little longer, I guess.
Bullet-proof blue ices is what I've heard it referred to an.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
As an alternative to snowshoes is agree. Thosr could be fun for scrambling around in the snow, likely quicker if you could skate on them.
I don't see why you couldn't skate in them. They have metal edges and the ability to use several different bindings and boots.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
when i still snowboarded regularly, we'd carpool, and have a cooler full of parking lot beers. same as lift beers. coleman stove to cook ramen.
My truck got 8 mpg and lift tickets alone were $50+ back then. It was $100 easy. I was going with a buddy, but he got sucked into Everquest. :rofl:

None of my friends skied then, either so it was just me going up to carve. There are times I miss it, but even on the company trip to Tahoe a couple years ago, I opted to snow machine both days and the now was crap then, too. But the snow mobile didn't care, so I didn't either.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I was at MJ almost 2 hours before chairs started turning. I was really close to just staying on the road and heading out there.
You hit MJ that day? Yeah - you should have stayed on the road. That day was epic in every sense of the word. 27" was the measurement at mid-mountain - the trees up top were more like 3-4 feet. :monkeydance:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hey now, that stuff can be fun if you love skiing very fast with big carving turns (I guess that's the ski racer upbringing in me)

That photo is groomed packed powder. Nothing like "granular" - I supposed blue ice would be worse than granular, but if conditions were that shitty I wouldn't ski. :D

And for the record - I *love* to tear up groomed pow, but it's a distant 3rd place behind legit pow and then chopped up pow.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You hit MJ that day? Yeah - you should have stayed on the road. That day was epic in every sense of the word. 27" was the measurement at mid-mountain - the trees up top were more like 3-4 feet. :monkeydance:
It was still deep and there was nobody around, but not that's deep. That being said, Copper a few weeks ago was lower thigh deep in the trees. That was stoopid.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Cold today and yesterday. Cold enough to make the woods trails killer for riding bikes on them. So I did a 26 miler in the woods yesterday and some lunch laps today. Unfortunately, our luck of shit weather return over the next few days with temps in the low 40's and rain. Rain in the winter is lame.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I am interested in what you speak.

I had these for a while.....they were fun :busted:

LOLZ :rofl:

I have a couple pair of these ones in my basement collecting dust. I got them as an xmas gift many years ago.

The only time they actually came in handy was when teaching my wife and other friends how to ski.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
LOLZ :rofl:

I have a couple pair of these ones in my basement collecting dust. I got them as an xmas gift many years ago.

The only time they actually came in handy was when teaching my wife and other friends how to ski.
I think that is one good thing about them; if you can ice skate, you can jump on those and get the hang of it right away.

Obtain any speed or big bumps and you're in for a hairy ride, though. :rofl:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well son of a fuck.... The surprise new bedframe for the wife just back fired big.. Just for the call the store had a pipe burst and flooded everything. Bed frame was in the basement under four feet of water..... Well this just sucks ass

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well son of a fuck.... The surprise new bedframe for the wife just back fired big.. Just for the call the store had a pipe burst and flooded everything. Bed frame was in the basement under four feet of water..... Well this just sucks ass
On the plus side, at least it was their basement and not yours.

I may have missed the boat on this surprise bed frame, but is this something special? I'm guessing it will be replaced at no cost to you?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You have the RM posts to document you greatness. In Denmark you say its the thought that counts not sure if that will fly with the old lady.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
On the plus side, at least it was their basement and not yours.

I may have missed the boat on this surprise bed frame, but is this something special? I'm guessing it will be replaced at no cost to you?
Yeah the wife has had her eye on it for some time. Normal price was 2600 or something like that. Got marked down to 1237, I had it put aside to pick up after the move. Super nice and make of white oak, headboard was a little over 400 pounds type nice..... The part that super sucks is it's a one off so no go on replacement