Quantcast

◇♢◇Thurdsday GMT◇♢◇

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Drove to work this morning to get wife to some women conference in Boston. I am quite sure that the asshole in a Ridgeline with a Trump sticker who almost pushed me out of the road and who was driving single in a HOV lane was on his way to State police barracks.

Now back to the usual mehh program.

Last edited:
Drove to work this morning to get wife to some women conference in Boston. I am quite sure that the asshole in a Ridgeline with a Trump sticker who almost pushed out of the road and who was driving single in a HOV lane was on his way to State police barracks.

Now back to the usual mehh program.
"asshole in a Ridgeline" is redundant.

So yesterday I'm driving Hilarie up to South Burlington where she sells crap at an antique store, and she asks me to drop her off at the store and take the key to her CR-V to the Honda dealer because it "needed synchronization", this based on some instrument panel indication she couldn't quite remember followed by a conversation with one of her thrift store buddies.

I drop her off and drive up to the Honda dealer, and to the best of my ability repeat her request. The service writer gets puzzled, and digs out a senior mechanic. He and I agree that absent the car, it's impossible to figure out what she's describing. I return and pick her up, at which point she insists on going back and pestering the dealership, which she does to no good effect.

We return home, I get into her car, start it, and don't observe anything out of the ordinary, which I report to her. Later in the evening, she goes out of the house for a bit and announces that the indicator's saying the car needs a new battery. Of course, she can't comprehensibly describe exactly what she saw on the instrument panel.

This morning I went out, started the CR-V and drove it out of the garage, and sat for a while watching the instruments (in typical idiotic automotive UI design, this car has no less that two graphic displays plus the usual mess of lights and indicators by the speedometer...). I have never particularly paid attention to how long it takes a contemporary car to fully boot up, but it's well over a minute.

Eventually, by the speedometer, I get the word Key with a flashing battery icon next to it. Aha. Replace the 2032 battery in the key fob and everything's hunky-dory. Side note is that there are no instructions in the manual for replacing the key battery...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Buying "small batch/curated/hipster filtered thru a sock" Bourbon for my right hand person at work, tomorrow is his last day. Suggestions??

Attempting to press in American BB cups into frame tonight, yay. Frame in warm space, cups in cold.

EDIT: pressing in with tube spacer inbetween cups that may yet need another spacer, yay again.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Raining since 4pm yesterday. did my home gym workout routine for over and hour.

I need to call the repair shop and get an update as to when my trucks locks and ignition will be replaced. kind of sucks having to do all my errands in a paratransit van

Moar coffee

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Snowy Continental Divide is snowy.

I think the $3 thermometer outside the kitchen window has frozen in place...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

My manager hardcore fuxored me yesterday. Asked me to prepare a report, which I did, then asked me to attend a meeting he "couldn't make" to "review the report". Straight up asked him if I needed anything else to be prepared for this meeting, he said no. I show up and get blindsided with something that he's been squatting on for the past 8 months that is now on my plate. And to think he had the nerve to afterwards to reply all and ask if I could get it done today...>:(

TLDR = Boss deserves a swift kick in the pickle.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
tonight is bike night. we got 6" of snow on Monday, but I'm not sure how much of that is left after above freezing temps yesterday. if anything, it'll be hard, compacted, frozen corn. oh well, a bike ride is a bike ride. My new cockpit arrived on Tuesday, so I swapped my current cockpit onto the fat bike. Shorter stem and wider bars should make a yuge difference in comfort and handling. it's funny, it seems that fatbikes are like cottages for furniture: it's where your old stuff that's not quite dead goes to finish its life while you get nice shiny new stuff for your "real" bike/home.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
-3* this morning when I went to the gym. Car struggled to start this morning and I'm thinking it's not the battery, but more the oil. The car struggled to get going once I got into gear. It's at the point of needing an oil change, so it might just be gummy in the morning.

Swam this morning - 1750yds. 50min run tonight. That will be done on the indoor track at the gym.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mornin!

My manager hardcore fuxored me yesterday. Asked me to prepare a report, which I did, then asked me to attend a meeting he "couldn't make" to "review the report". Straight up asked him if I needed anything else to be prepared for this meeting, he said no. I show up and get blindsided with something that he's been squatting on for the past 8 months that is now on my plate. And to think he had the nerve to afterwards to reply all and ask if I could get it done today...>:(

"Sorry, man - I'm not feeling well. Doc says it might be a pretty serious case of FTS."

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Workout comeplet, one hour each on the treadmill and eliptical. Need to score speedo to insure I get the pool to myself. Now what to do for the rest of the day... RMSS wrapping.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Snow forecast for this afternoon, so everyone is working from home. Rumor is an ice storm is supposed to hit around 10, then some snow on top of that around 2. Should make for fun times downtown. I will stay here, thanks.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
working fron home until later this afternoon, as both kids are now sick. 6yo coughed so much last night he made himself puke.

gotta find some time in the next few days for at least a quick ride. maybe sat afternoon or sunday? hrm.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Snow is on the way here as well. I'm sick, so I don't really care at this point.

Though, be able to hit the dirt this weekend would be swell.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mornin!

throw him under the bus. and / or go over his head.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
throw him under the bus. and / or go over his head.
Seriously. I consider myself to be very lucky in that I work for a supportive boss who doesn't look to toss me under the bus. The main point she made to me is she never wants to be blindsided like that in a meeting with something I did that she wasn't aware of. I keep her aware of what I am doing, but she doesn't need to tell me what to do.

I will say this end of the year business will try to be avoided next year, at least from where I sit. Seems "by end of year" was a common theme and nobody paid attention until a month ago.

Wow. I bought a Dell laptop maybe a year ago, it has always run slower than hell and has had a tendency to post in the event log complaining about hardware problems. I finally got off my ass and called Dell support this morning - got a tech very quickly who was very proficient in addressing and rectifying the problem, which required a BIOS update and update of Intel video drivers. He's still poking around checking for other nits as I type this.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Some on the monkey might also find this funny.

Son bought a used Subbie (I told him not to) that seemed like a good deal. He's had it about 2 months now. He told me last weekend it seemed like it was running hot on his way home. After putting a half gallon of water in it, I knew something was up. Had him start it up, got it warm, then looked in the radiator and saw a nice flow of bubbles.

Oil is clean, but I told him I was almost sure it was a head gasket. Took it to the shop down the street, they want $900 to fix it. I think he only paid $1800 for it and it just had the timing belt done. I'm on the fence as to fix or forget. He doesn't have the cash to fix it. I'm on the fence.

Told him next weekend I'll get my car done and he can borrow the truck until we figure out what to do. The truck needs work, too. But it runs just fine.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Year? 2.5L I presume?

Def the head gasket. And $900 is actually a pretty damned good price for that job. Unless they are only going to do one side. Then he should run away.
I was thinking the same thing on the price, didn't even consider only doing one side. It's a '96 Outback.

<edit> Its a shop 2 blocks away and he knows the guy

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I was thinking the same thing on the price, didn't even consider only doing one side. It's a '96 Outback.

<edit> Its a shop 2 blocks away and he knows the guy
Have him charge people $10 a whack to beat the car with a baseball bat. I'm sure he could raise enough money to buy a working car in no time.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Head gaskets on Subaru's are a pain in the ass. Stupid boxer.
Funky ass motor. A friend of a friend (who seems to have WAY too much money) is always posting up about some JDM Subbie crap pushing 600+hp, they still sound like ass. :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Progressive news from our HR department regarding vacation time:

"the defined amount of time is open for employees to use as needed."

:monkeydance:
Uhh... Do we work for the same company? I just got that email yesterday.