Quantcast

☆☆☆Friday GMT☆☆☆

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! What's on your agenda this weeked?

The weather in Montana has been the suck all week, rain every day and unseasonably cold temps meant no riding for me all week. Bummer. It's looking up as we're moving away from steady rain to thunder storms which always make me ride faster...

The trails should be rideable again by Sunday, my legs should be pretty fresh by then. :)

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
mumble mumble grunt....need some coffee

Lots of crap on my plate and I only have Saturday to do it but somehow I will fit in a good ride between geting my tires rotated and balanced, TB test for work, and some other assorted bs

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello! 2500 yard swim done before work. I got tired. So I hired a coach a while back to plan all my Ironman training for me. I got next week's schedule, and shit is starting to get heavy now. :dead: It is starting to resemble a part time job. BRING IT.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Spent last night ripping up a sheet of plywood and will spend tonight shaping said plywood. Also dialed in my doweling jig. Commence woodworking!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
^ That was one of the first things I saw when seeing if there was anything that would work well off the shelf. I have a specific location/orientation in mind, so it was easier to just design my own.

Wound up getting it 3D printed out of ABS from a place in Westford, coincidentally. Material alone was going to be more than 1/2 the cost of this route. Plus 3D printed enables me to do an otherwise impossibru cinch strap holder, which will be infinitely slicker. Interesting to see how it turns out. Pics upon completion.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hello! 2500 yard swim done before work. I got tired. So I hired a coach a while back to plan all my Ironman training for me. I got next week's schedule, and shit is starting to get heavy now. :dead: It is starting to resemble a part time job. BRING IT.
I was putting in 11-14 hours per week training for the half. I'm not a fit running as you, so I spent a ton more time doing that.

When getting your bike fit, one solid recommendation I received was to find a trainer that's not dedicated to a single theory or bike brand. A proper fit will first focus on comfort, second on your ability to put down power, then lastly aero. If the fit is to drop you as low as possible first, you're in the wrong place.

Also, a training coach is different than a swimming coach. Given your background in not swimming, a swim coach will help a ton. Don't forget that with your background, you will make up far more time running (and to a lesser extent bike) than you can swimming. You want to make sure that you don't blow up on your swim. Eating 2-3 minutes on the swim is carrying a 7sec faster pace on the run or 2sec/mile on the bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yello there.

Spending a full day in the office today.

Did a quick lazy ride last night, felt like crap but felt good to ride trails. I think I will ditch riding tonight to rest and do laundry, then there will be lots of riding tomorrow and Sunday. I'm taking 2-3 people on a tour of some good trails tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time deciding on the route. If it was just me, I'd do all the "down" trails in the forest, but that's a lot of climbing (for around here) and not sure how they feel about that. Not that I really care.. :busted:

I've seen two Audi RS4's over the last week, which is cool. I didn't even know that they existed here.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. It's slushing outside. I get to test my all-seasons today, as I was too lazy to change my wheels last night.

On a hot damn note, Wifey might be getting a substantial promotion at work. Her company is going through a restructuring to focus on new business and they want to move her from Sr. Director of Corp Marketing (with a serious weighting to new business) to VP of New Business. That will anchor her position as #3 in the corporate hierarchy. She'll go from a single direct report (her assistant) to two (one of whom is the Sr. Director of Project Mgmt) with another 20+ underneath him.

The restructuring is supposed to be a 90-day test, but all others they have done stuck. The owner of the firm made quite clear that this is a very large promotion and will be handled accordingly. Sounds like the house upgrade that she wants might be back in play and the M will become a garage queen. It also looks like I will be taking on more home load than I already have.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The restructuring is supposed to be a 90-day test, but all others they have done stuck. The owner of the firm made quite clear that this is a very large promotion and will be handled accordingly. Sounds like the house upgrade that she wants might be back in play and the M will become a garage queen. It also looks like I will be taking on more home load than I already have.
The key to getting ahead is to not spend the extra money once extra money comes in. Of course, I've made it a point to not become accustomed to a certain level of luxury...

:homer:

In other news, it is right on the slush/snow border here. I'd rather cold weather and true snow instead of this wet mess. It came just in time after we had sod put down. At least I can save a bit on the watering bill, I guess.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here. It's slushing outside. I get to test my all-seasons today, as I was too lazy to change my wheels last night.

On a hot damn note, Wifey might be getting a substantial promotion at work. Her company is going through a restructuring to focus on new business and they want to move her from Sr. Director of Corp Marketing (with a serious weighting to new business) to VP of New Business. That will anchor her position as #3 in the corporate hierarchy. She'll go from a single direct report (her assistant) to two (one of whom is the Sr. Director of Project Mgmt) with another 20+ underneath him.

you might need to get a second monocle and a top hat that's taller than your current one.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I was putting in 11-14 hours per week training for the half. I'm not a fit running as you, so I spent a ton more time doing that.

When getting your bike fit, one solid recommendation I received was to find a trainer that's not dedicated to a single theory or bike brand. A proper fit will first focus on comfort, second on your ability to put down power, then lastly aero. If the fit is to drop you as low as possible first, you're in the wrong place.

Also, a training coach is different than a swimming coach. Given your background in not swimming, a swim coach will help a ton. Don't forget that with your background, you will make up far more time running (and to a lesser extent bike) than you can swimming. You want to make sure that you don't blow up on your swim. Eating 2-3 minutes on the swim is carrying a 7sec faster pace on the run or 2sec/mile on the bike.
All good advice! I feel pretty fortunate in that all I really need to do is maintain my run fitness over the next 16 weeks. I know a lot of triathletes spend a lot of time working on that but I am already there. My main focus from this point on will be to build the up the bike strength. I'll still be running 30+ miles a week though with two hard tempo runs. I bought my tri bike from a highly regarded shop near Boston. I've put about a thousand miles on it and it fits like a glove. I think I am naturally a stronger cyclist than runner, so it'll be fun to see where my bike fitness is after concentrating on it for the next four months. I've never really "trained" on the bike and have always JRA.

I've got two swim coaches! One leads the masters workouts, and one is for one-on-one form work.

At this point a 12 hour-ish IM seems reasonable if not conservative. 2:07 pace on the swim (1:30), 18 mph on the bike (6:15), 8:30 pace on the run (3:45), 20 minutes in transitions. But we'll see where I am in 16 weeks.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The key to getting ahead is to not spend the extra money once extra money comes in. Of course, I've made it a point to not become accustomed to a certain level of luxury...

:homer:

In other news, it is right on the slush/snow border here. I'd rather cold weather and true snow instead of this wet mess. It came just in time after we had sod put down. At least I can save a bit on the watering bill, I guess.
I work off min % savings levels. We'll still be at over 25% savings, so I'm not concerned.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I work off min % savings levels. We'll still be at over 25% savings, so I'm not concerned.
In that case carry on. Higher savings levels yet == shorter time to retirement, though...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

You guys should DEFINITELY have another kid.

:D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sounds like the truck needs an engine replacement, or will be a participant in a push pull or drag sale. Either way, I am about to get royally raped.
No bueno.
That's balls. How old of a truck is it?

In other car news, just got confirmation that some new Bilstein dampers should be arriving here next week. Yay. :banana:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Stepped out of rehab into bright sunshine with just a few clouds, it's also 45 degrees so maybe a trail ride both Saturday and Sunday.

In other news I have graduated to including the rowing machine into my workout, as always the first day of anything different is cause for increased monitoring, in this case 5 minutes at 45 watts or 7 mets which is pretty basic. I've always liked rowing machines so this make the monitored workouts more fun.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
No big surprise, I'm riding both days this weekend, spring is here in full effect and it's supposed to be sunny and warm. Tonight is Bend Brewing Company 21st Anniversary Party and I've already looked at the tap list. A Plum Sour!!!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It's an 04' with 150k of hard miles on it, including actual off reading and light duty rock crawling. I haven't babied it.
Just pull an engine from a wrecked truck.
Assuming its a 4.6/5.4, those should be easy to find from a salvage yard.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Looks like I'm going riding tonight. Buddy said he's good to go, so I can't say no. I rode with him all of one time last year. Can't ever turn down a non-solo ride!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's an 04' with 150k of hard miles on it, including actual off reading and light duty rock crawling. I haven't babied it.
What exactly is wrong with the motor? 150K shouldn't be a problem at all. Unless running it hard meant never changing the oil or on inclines that had the oil pump sucking air. Or did that old timing chain break and put valves into the pistons?