Quantcast

♧♧♧Tuesday GMT♧♧♧

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just got back from hiking on Teton Pass.
Absurd conditions, it's like march snowpack, with 20" of blower on top.
Chest deep at spots.
We are supposed to get 30" more this week.
Avie conditions are getting quite spicy, be safe, powderhounds!
Wife is a bit waffly about hitting Jackson - she's angling for Big Sky. I'm going to have to put the hard-sell on her.

New water heater is hot. Novel.

Only have one little weep around the newly installed pressure regulator valve. It, of course, is the closest item to the main, so I have to turn off the water and drain the whole fucking system again. :mad:
Wet people's problems.

Rode twelve miles and some spare change in a couple of inches of wet, somewhat compacted snow. Preparing for beer thirty.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode this afternoon in balmy 40F but the dirt is deeply frozen already. Bunch of ice on trails but mostly grippy, although the studded tires season is just beyond a corner. No crashes today, great fun, even found a new friend on a Transition Scout and his uber-fast Jack Russel terrier.

Now it's Trillium time. :cheers:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Wife is a bit waffly about hitting Jackson - she's angling for Big Sky. I'm going to have to put the hard-sell on her.
You should come out.

"SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...24 TO 30 INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS TO AROUND 36 INCHES MAINLY ABOVE 5500 TO 6000 FEET. LOWER ELEVATIONS WILL SEE RAIN ON THURSDAY AND WILL LIKELY ON SEE 4 TO 8 INCHES OF TOTAL SNOW"
Gonna be sick up high.
Bummed about the rain down low, though...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
@stoney Company stock purchase plan this month. 5% discount and from what I've been told, it has been good post Enron. Company stock vs 401K contribution? A balance? General question, looking for a knowledgeable source. We are a utility, so business is generally good.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You should come out.

"SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...24 TO 30 INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS TO AROUND 36 INCHES MAINLY ABOVE 5500 TO 6000 FEET. LOWER ELEVATIONS WILL SEE RAIN ON THURSDAY AND WILL LIKELY ON SEE 4 TO 8 INCHES OF TOTAL SNOW"
Gonna be sick up high.
hot damn ...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Srsly. I've heard horror stories of what happened to folks post Enron. Retirements that were entirely company stock because it was teh awesome.
Regardless of who the company is I would never tie my retirement to a single company's performance. Diversify your portfolio and give those poor hard working Wall Street fund managers an opportunity to manage your balance to $0.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
@stoney Company stock purchase plan this month. 5% discount and from what I've been told, it has been good post Enron. Company stock vs 401K contribution? A balance? General question, looking for a knowledgeable source. We are a utility, so business is generally good.
Dude - eat that ESPP shit UP. It's free money. That said - you're gonna want to sell it (to realize the gains) and put the proceeds in a nice low-cost index fund a la @Toshi . When you sell will be the rub - short term vs. long term and all that.

But that right there is FREE MONEY.

Our company offers an ESPP at 15% discount. I'm eating that shit up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and gonna use proceeds for a new bikee next summer.

Goddammit. The FSM hates me and won't let me rep you. :mad:

10 avalanches here over the weekend. Leave AT gear at home...it's gonna get gnarly
Yeah. No worries. I don't touch that shit. I got responsibilities, ya know.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
You should come out.

Gonna be sick up high.
This is the one thing that has me hesitating until the last minute to decide. I've heard some horror stories of re-frozen Jackson Hole. :D

It does appear that the pineapple Hand of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is about to diddle you guys as well as we here in CO:

HoG.jpg

Srsly. I've heard horror stories of what happened to folks post Enron. Retirements that were entirely company stock because they had no idea WTF they were doing.
Fixed that for you.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Looks like a fun time...

I went for an awesome xc ski. Has to have been the best opening ski day ever. Shin deep powder. Great beers and burgers afterwards.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dude - eat that ESPP shit UP. It's free money. That said - you're gonna want to sell it (to realize the gains) and put the proceeds in a nice low-cost index fund a la @Toshi . When you sell will be the rub - short term vs. long term and all that.

But that right there is FREE MONEY.

Our company offers an ESPP at 15% discount. I'm eating that shit up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and gonna use proceeds for a new bikee next summer.

I agree with this. Do both: max out your tax-deferred plan and hold index funds there. Also buy as much as you can with the ESPP and hold for exactly as long as you need to to make the gains at the long-term capital gains rate. (It's 1 or 2 years--check your plan. Edit: 1 year.) Then sell that shit, lock in your gains, and pour that money back into index funds.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Dude - eat that ESPP shit UP. It's free money.
fwiw: my last company had an espp, discounted at similar rates. That stock went from around $34 to $3 in about 4 months. (now trading at $.10, $14B market cap to bankrupt in less than a year. Fascinating story, really)

There's a lot more to consider than the discount, but i don't know anything about jimmydean's company.

Also, is 4am, wtf am i awake?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I woke up at 4:30 but thankfully rolled over and slept until my alarm. Weird ass dreams were had.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
fwiw: my last company had an espp, discounted at similar rates. That stock went from around $34 to $3 in about 4 months. (now trading at $.10, $14B market cap to bankrupt in less than a year. Fascinating story, really)

There's a lot more to consider than the discount, but i don't know anything about jimmydean's company.
These are the sort of stories sausage-boy was probably referring to. I worked with a guy who was with Worldcom and rode that baby (along with his retirement which was a LOT of company stock) right into the toilet. It made him very, very bitter (and rightfully so).

But yeah - Nick brings some voice of reason... there obviously is risk, being common stock, of bad things happening and the "free money" being not so free.

That said - if you have some confidence that the company isn't run by a bunch of complete morons, it might be easy money.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Our company ESPP offers a 15% discount and no holding period outside of quarterly earnings and insider trading regulations. I lost about 30K in 401K assets in 2012 and have not jumped back in yet.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I agree with both @Toshi and @Nick. Take advantage of the ESPP, but be judicial about how much risk you want from your company. You already hold risk in the aspect that they are your source of income. Generally I would say max out your 401k (at least up to the match, as that's free money) then look into the ESPP with a smaller amount. Depending on the kind of ESPP, it might be before tax funds that you can't access until after you turn 59.5. We can talk offline if you want to get into more specifics about it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Offer/exercise is not long-term/short-term gains.
Ah, you are right, of course. I don't get why there's a difference between qualified and not then, as the initial discount seems to be logged as ordinary income either way and the STCG/LTCG is just holding for a year like usual.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ah, you are right, of course. I don't get why there's a difference between qualified and not then, as the initial discount seems to be logged as ordinary income either way and the STCG/LTCG is just holding for a year like usual.
Qualified you will pay income taxes upon distribution and you are limited to access until 59.5 (or 55 if you leave the company after that age). Often they will have a larger discount in qualified plans.

Non-qual, the initial discount is income, but the gains are lt/st depending on when you sell. ie. 5% initial discount at income, 10% gains at cap gains.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Qualified you will pay income taxes upon distribution and you are limited to access until 59.5 (or 55 if you leave the company after that age). Often they will have a larger discount in qualified plans.

Non-qual, the initial discount is income, but the gains are lt/st depending on when you sell. ie. 5% initial discount at income, 10% gains at cap gains.
Ok, access might be different. Still ordinary income for the initial discount and LT/STCG for the gains from that discounted basis in either case, right? Oh well. Not something I have access to anyway as a state employee.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, access might be different. Still ordinary income for the initial discount and LT/STCG for the gains from that discounted basis in either case, right? Oh well. Not something I have access to anyway as a state employee.
Income only with qualified, income & cap gains with non-qual. Anything qualified will always be at income.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Income only with qualified, income & cap gains with non-qual. Anything qualified will always be at income.
Hmm, I'm not sure about that:

Turbotax page linked above said:
Qualifying Disposition:

You sold the stock at least two years after the offering (grant date) and at least one year after the exercise (purchase date). If so, a portion of the profit (the “bargain element”) is considered compensation income (taxed at regular rates) on your Form 1040. Any additional profit is considered long-term capital gain (which is be taxed at lower rates than compensation income) and should be reported on Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree with this. Do both: max out your tax-deferred plan and hold index funds there. Also buy as much as you can with the ESPP and hold for exactly as long as you need to to make the gains at the long-term capital gains rate. (It's 1 or 2 years--check your plan.) Then sell that shit, lock in your gains, and pour that money back into index funds.
Thanks, that sounds like a solid plan. I honestly have not looked at the company stock since I started. I pass my 6 month probation Jan 1, so I was starting to take this gig more seriously since it looks like they are keeping me around. I know based on the company meetings we have had that we are doing well. I know there was a heavy rebuilding post Enron, but being a solo company that has been around or 125 years has its advantages. :rofl: