Quantcast

✪⍟✪ Thurs GMT✪⍟✪

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fuck our healthcare system. My drugs (anti-seizure) have been covered by our insurance to the tune of $45/quarter going back 2 years. Our company changed the policy slightly (same plan number, etc) and added non-generic drugs to your deductible. I just spent $3400 for 3 months worth of drugs and it only took $2640 off my $6000 deductible.

Shit like this is why I'm voting for Bernie. We need to get our country caught up with the rest of the civilized world and have universal healthcare. I don't care if it has us paying slightly more in taxes, because the healthcare costs will clearly offset the difference. I'm lucky in that we can pay for this. If we didn't have the extra cash flow, I'd be a walking time bomb.
Thanks Obama! Switch to generic drugs then. If you think you will be getting non-generic drugs in a government-run healthcare, you are dearly mistaken.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks Obama! Switch to generic drugs then. If you think you will be getting non-generic drugs in a government-run healthcare, you are dearly mistaken.
As I understand it, doctors in Medicare have the ability to override generic if the generic doesn't work. It doesn't work for me, which is why I am on brand name.

And my epilepsy is considered a protected "illness", as I would have a pre-existing condition otherwise. I can't get insurance on my own without the ACA.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As I understand it, doctors in Medicare have the ability to override generic if the generic doesn't work. It doesn't work for me, which is why I am on brand name.
Then the generic isn't an equivalent and therefor isn't the same drug. One of the reasons generic drugs are cheaper is that when it is filed with the FDA they do not have to go through the same level of clinical trials. They do have to prove that it is an equivalent, ie chemically identical active ingredients, same biological reactions, same metabolites etc. If the generic doesn't work for you, it is likely there is a placebo effect happening somewhere, or someone is pushing a similar, but not equivalent medication.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Then the generic isn't an equivalent and therefor isn't the same drug. One of the reasons generic drugs are cheaper is that when it is filed with the FDA they do not have to go through the same level of clinical trials. They do have to prove that it is an equivalent, ie chemically identical active ingredients, same biological reactions, same metabolites etc. If the generic doesn't work for you, it is likely there is a placebo effect happening somewhere, or someone is pushing a similar, but not equivalent medication.
Having seizures with it vs. no without it is a very large placebo effect then. Same dosage on both and I have minor seizures on the generic. Similar, but not equivalent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As Westy says, generic and brand name are not necessarily the same drug.
No, I am saying that they are the same drug if it is filed as an equivalent generic under the FDA. The manufacturing processes can be different, non active ingredients can be different, but at the end of the day it is the same shit.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No, I am saying that they are the same drug if it is filed as an equivalent generic under the FDA. The manufacturing processes can be different, non active ingredients can be different, but at the end of the day it is the same shit.
That's what I was referring to. Active ingredient is the same, but other stuff can be different. I didn't know I was on brand name to start with then generic, as the insurance company just changed it (and I just took it, didn't really track the drug name). I started having auras, which are very minor seizures. When my dr switched to another option, which was the brand name, they went away. Not sure why, but there was a difference.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Speaking of "fuck for profit health care":
Had breakfast with a Flight Attendant based here whose been out for sometime with stage 4 colon cancer. She wasn't even initially expected to still be alive at this point but some aggressive chemo and surgery has halted the growth of her tumors, at least for now, which of course, is "good". But the horror stories she had about dealing with our mutual employers so-called benefits department brought back some really bad memories and feelings for me from my accident. I just can not get over how some pencil necked fuckwad can sit in an office at corporate and have no problem trying to push her, or me, or any of the other number of employees with similar stories off the pay roles, deny care, or even fail to just engage in basic communication about potentially life altering/threatening/federally mandated care decisions. God damn it makes me angry.

Also, rode my bike down to the coffee shop, nice ride, good weather. Went down pretty hard on a patch of ice and got a pretty good patch of road rash on my knee and elbow. The ride home was fairly painful. Hit my head hard enough I probably ought to look at new helmets.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've hit a record today; my inbox has received 16284 new emails, in just the last 2 hours.

:edit: we're up to 16537 now.

I'm about to go smack someone.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
No, but I have worked in the pharma industry where I spend 90% of my dealing with FDA regulations.
What I see, and this is personal experience for myself, and for those housed at my place of employment, is that the pharmacy is not exactly always offering you/the patient a genereric for the medication you need, but a generic substitute that would in theory have the same effect.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
what functional group?

i've spent a little bit of time in pharma, both innovator and generic.
Final packaging of an IV antibiotic. It was a novel product with an expired patent. Being the final step in the manufacturing process, we were responsible for all the final regulatory crap, even though all we did was put powder in glass vial.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What I see, and this is personal experience for myself, and for those housed at my place of employment, is that the pharmacy is not exactly always offering you/the patient a genereric for the medication you need, but a generic substitute that would in theory have the same effect.
Think of it like buying Dasani water vs Fiji water, same shit, different package, different price.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
What color is your dress?
Definitely better than yours.

Had our awareness level raised regarding shell-game operations violating terms and conditions product allowances. We do alot of proprietary volume, and also have exclusive and semi-exclusive distribution. Amazeballs how far some business-types will push the rules applied just to make cents on the dollar.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Think of it like buying Dasani water vs Fiji water, same shit, different package, different price.
No, its more like dasani vs creek water. Different product, different drug. Read... Substitute generic. Not a genereric for the name brand, but what is a different drug in a generic that in theory has the same effect and in reality does not work right at all.

We have people that come in that are balanced on their meds, doc will not pay for what they are already on, so they substitute something different. It's never pretty, specially when they are messing with anti psycotics

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
When I pick up meds for my glucose I ALWAYS ask, " is this what was prescribed?". Is this a generic for what was prescribed? ".

It's scary how many times I am told " No, its something different, its what insurance approved.". Then the battle starts

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I pick up meds for my glucose I ALWAYS ask, " is this what was prescribed?". Is this a generic for what was prescribed? ".

It's scary how many times I am told " No, its something different, its what insurance approved.". Then the battle starts
http://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafely/understandinggenericdrugs/ucm167991.htm

Generics will vary from brand names about as much as the brand name will vary from batch to batch in regards to chemistry.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I am pretty sure you are missing what I am saying.... Itbis becoming more and more normal to use a substitute medication. Ie two completely different meds. As two totally different formulations with the same intended outcome

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am pretty sure you are missing what I am saying.... Itbis becoming more and more normal to use a substitute medication. Ie two completely different meds. As two totally different formulations with the same intended outcome
That makes sense.

I suspect I may be in the same boat. I am on a biologic for arthritis, expensive stuff. The alternative is low doses of what is a cheap chemotherapy drug that causes liver and lung damage over time. Company got new health insurer, got a call from them yesterday. I suspect they don't want to cover the expensive stuff that isn't going to slowly kill me.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah that's what I was trying to get across.

It happened to the wife when lil man was born too. She was prescribed lovenox injections twice daily for a month. Pharmacy filled with heparin at four injections daily. Response was..."its the same, just different dosage...". Needless to say they are very different, lovenox is about 300 a shot and I think the heparin was 35 for the month