Quantcast

➰➰➰I don't know what day it is GMT➰➰➰

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Its snowing here now, but no where near as bad as that...

I got the Subaru back. I am not a happy camper. This marks two front strut failures, one on each side, within two weeks. wtf mate.

I found this on the shop's site, of the first failure... https://www.instagram.com/p/BCojUnoy_DS/

Now, I am not a mechanic, an engineer or in any way qualified to comment on this, but I am almost certain that they are not supposed to just fall apart like that.

The 2nd one kept knocking at low speeds and progressively got worse and worse until this past Monday when it started to feel like the first failure. The guys took that 2nd strut off today and the chrome lining on the shaft had basically pitted and fallen off. The odd thing is that where the damage is, is where the seal head sits. So basically, most of the time the damaged part is INSIDE of the strut body. I don't see how a rock could do that much damage. I also had boots around the shaft.

:rolleyes:
have you done anything stupid like lowering it or put wider wheels on it? Sounds like it could be binding.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Westy it is lowered less than an inch. The winter tires/wheels that I have been driving on for the last 5 months are the OEM size and original wheels. Summer wheels I ran last year for 6 months are exact same diameter, but an inch wider (and very little offset change).

The thing is, the struts are from a company called GTworx, who worked directly with Bilstein on the valving. These struts are made for THIS car and I am running the springs that GTworx themselves make and sells with the struts as a package. They've been on the market for at least 5 years and Googling comes up with zero reports of any sort of failures (one of the reasons why I went with these).

@Pesqueeb I am hoping..

About a week before the first one broke, I was literally less than a day away from selling the original struts. Thank god I procrastinated with meeting up with the dude...

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@Westy it is lowered less than an inch. The winter tires/wheels that I have been driving on for the last 5 months are the OEM size and original wheels. Summer wheels I ran last year for 6 months are exact same diameter, but an inch wider (and very little offset change).

The thing is, the struts are from a company called GTworx, who worked directly with Bilstein on the valving. These struts are made for THIS car and I am running the springs that GTworx themselves make and sells with the struts as a package. They've been on the market for at least 5 years and Googling comes up with zero reports of any sort of failures (one of the reasons why I went with these).

@Pesqueeb I am hoping..

About a week before the first one broke, I was literally less than a day away from selling the original struts. Thank god I procrastinated with meeting up with the dude...

Struts have to counteract the torque caused by the wheels supporting the weight of the vehicle. An inch drop shouldn't be a huge deal if camber was properly set once finished. A bad alignment that with more positive camber will increase said torque. Check your alignment.

In which direction did the offset change with the wider tires? Less offset with wider tires can significantly increase said torque, more so if your alignment is fucked.

The 1" drop would have included stiffer springs. If they are really stiff, they too will increase the torque. If above problems exist you could be screwed. It probably insn't the increased load on the struts, but if you are deflecting them enough for the shaft to rub on something that isn't a bushing, they will fall apart quickly.

I am assuming that where you live the roads suck. Lots of potholes with square edge bumps are brutal on cars. Consider this an accelerating factor to all the above items.

When I lived in Cleveland the roads were fucking terrible. People used to brag if their tie rod ends lasted 50,000 miles.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Westy Good points. I am running less offset on the summer wheels (48 vs 52 OEM), but they haven't been driven on for 5 months. Had an alignment done immediately after the Bilstein's were put in and then a few months after; everything in check and set back to factory. All bushings in the suspension are tight too, including the lower control arms, which have a tendency to wear out and was one of the first things we checked.

The springs are the softer of the two options they sell with the struts. They aren't stupid stiff like some idiots use out there. I've read that they are comparable to an M3.

I put 18000 miles on these before they acted up. I'd think they'd fail earlier, if they were binding?

Yes roads here are pretty shitty, generally haha. No so much the pot holes, but the cracks in the roads can be harsh. I try to avoid them as much as possible and I never crash through them like a tool. I see some fools go barreling right through holes and cracks in the road that even a transport truck will swerve around. :rofl:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@Westy Good points. I am running less offset on the summer wheels (48 vs 52 OEM), but they haven't been driven on for 5 months. Had an alignment done immediately after the Bilstein's were put in and then a few months after; everything in check and set back to factory. All bushings in the suspension are tight too, including the lower control arms, which have a tendency to wear out and was one of the first things we checked.

The springs are the softer of the two options they sell with the struts. They aren't stupid stiff like some idiots use out there. I've read that they are comparable to an M3.

I put 18000 miles on these before they acted up. I'd think they'd fail earlier, if they were binding?

Any unusual tire wear?

Was the shaft damage located on any particular side?

Do the winter tires have similar offset?

Did you go to a larger wheel?
Lower profile tire?
Is the final OD the same?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any unusual tire wear?

Was the shaft damage located on any particular side?

Do the winter tires have similar offset?

Did you go to a larger wheel?
Lower profile tire?
Is the final OD the same?
Tire wear is perfectly normal. Even wear across the surface of all the tires; summer and winter tires.

The winter tires/wheels have 52 offset, which is the OEM wheel specification (I'm using the OEM wheels). Summer tires are lower profile on a larger wheel.

Both the winter wheel/tire and summer wheel/tire combo have the same OD and is the same as how the car came from the factory.

Shaft damage was on all sides, on the one that came off today. The strut that fell apart two weeks ago had no damage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tire wear is perfectly normal. Even wear across the surface of all the tires; summer and winter tires.

The winter tires/wheels have 52 offset, which is the OEM wheel specification (I'm using the OEM wheels). Summer tires are lower profile on a larger wheel.

Both the winter wheel/tire and summer wheel/tire combo have the same OD and is the same as how the car came from the factory.

Shaft damage was on all sides, on the one that came off today. The strut that fell apart two weeks ago had no damage.

I think you will be rather happy with the stock struts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's like suggesting that I take the Fox 36 off my bike and stick on one of those horrible older Marzocchi's from a few years ago. :D
Except you are only allowed to ride on neutered trails with speed limits.

I'm sure those struts really help while commuting in traffic jams.

Perhaps I just don't get the \\\WRX factor, despite having owned one.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Hold up, these aren't like coilovers or have very stiff springs. I don't wear a straight brimmed hat and I drive like grandpa in the right hand lane, 90% of the time. :busted:

My setup is very very mild compared to most others. Heck, I still have the stock sway bars and end links. I do however have a kickass Forester hitch/bumper beam bolted to the back of my \\\\WRX. This allows for optimal airflow and beer drinking dynamics and seconds as providing the necessary platform for my summer time foot rest.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hold up, these aren't like coilovers or have very stiff springs. I don't wear a straight brimmed hat and I drive like grandpa in the right hand lane, 90% of the time. :busted:

My setup is very very mild compared to most others. Heck, I still have the stock sway bars and end links. I do however have a kickass Forester hitch/bumper beam bolted to the back of my \\\\WRX. This allows for optimal airflow and beer drinking dynamics and seconds as providing the necessary platform for my summer time foot rest.

Whatever makes you happy. Seriously. Most would look at what I have done to the old Volvo as dumb, but it makes me happy. However I fully understand that pretty much every problem I have ever had has been my own doing. The nice thing is that although I drive it most of the time, I depend on it for nothing.

In that respect the tune on the volvo is coming along nicely. Have had to sort out a few issues I blame on the idiot who designed the IAT and TP sensor mounting but otherwise things have worked great. Tuning acceleration and other transients just takes a lot of time collecting data. Someone with professional experience could probably do it quicker but I feel I am arriving at similar results. Shaved another second off of the 0-60 time, it is now faster than a modern economy crossover SUV, but it makes noises like I am taking the straight at Monza.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whatever makes you happy. Seriously. Most would look at what I have done to the old Volvo as dumb, but it makes me happy. However I fully understand that pretty much every problem I have ever had has been my own doing. The nice thing is that although I drive it most of the time, I depend on it for nothing.

In that respect the tune on the volvo is coming along nicely. Have had to sort out a few issues I blame on the idiot who designed the IAT and TP sensor mounting but otherwise things have worked great. Tuning acceleration and other transients just takes a lot of time collecting data. Someone with professional experience could probably do it quicker but I feel I am arriving at similar results. Shaved another second off of the 0-60 time, it is now faster than a modern economy crossover SUV, but it makes noises like I am taking the straight at Monza.
That's awesome. I think we need a drive-by video of it. :clapping:

1. Buy a car.
  2. Leave it stock.
  3. Use energy for something other than whining.
:D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Wouldn't touch [corrected - Tein] if you paid me. I would gladly take a set of Koni's on STI springs. Plenty stiff for fun, but not jarring.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Scratch that. I was thinking Tein (duh). Are you mated to the RCE springs? That's bizarre though. Call them or RCE to get it sorted.
Oh yes Tein..

Yep I have RCE Black springs on them. The shop I take my car to is actually taking care of all of this for me, they're already on the phone with them.

You'd probably like this shop, its awesome going there and just taking a look at what is being worked on or parked out front...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pro tip: All of those cars in those two photos are there for new head gaskets

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh yes Tein..

Yep I have RCE Black springs on them. The shop I take my car to is actually taking care of all of this for me, they're already on the phone with them.
RCE are good people. Helped me out with a ton of stuff back in Impreza days, even when it wasn't going to make them anything.