Quantcast

00-04 subaru outback, legacy, and liberty headunit removal, install and more, no 56k

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
My brother had an extra cable that came with his new head unit that i could use as an auxiliary in cable, so i decided to take my head unit out and get it all hooked up and i made a walkthrough for it to.

enjoy

1.Pop off wood paneling around the shifter and unscrew the two screws on the top

2.if the black center piece gets in the way, then open the center console and unscrew the two screws holding the piece in

3.disconnect the cable for the climate control

4.remove the ashtray, then unscrew the two screws holding in the ashtray frame

5.pop off the wood paneling around the head unit and climate control
(you may have to pull the gray part next to the paneling a little bit to get it to pop out)

6. unscrew the 6 screws around the climate control piece two on each side, and 2 on the bottom

7. unplug all cables from the climate control, head unit, and cigarette lighter

8. and it's out

now, here's where i installed the cable for the auxiliary in

1.drill 2 1/4" holes in the back of the compartment

2. put the rca jacks in the two holes (not actually necessary right now)

3. cut one end of the audio cable and strip the cable, then solder the out side wires (negative) to the tab on the plug and then the inside wires (positive) to the center piece and then tighten the nuts to the jacks

now installing is pretty easy after you've taken it all apart
plug everything back in screw in the 6 mounting screws and pop the the wood paneling back on, then screw the ashtray frame on, then screw the black center piece in, and put the change thingy back in then pop the wood paneling back on over the shifter...and DON'T FORGET TO HOOK THE CLIMATE CONTROL CABLE UP

and there ya go...you can now play music off of your ipod laptop or whatever else

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the ipod mod for Impreza's and foresters is MUCH easier. Did you thing about routing it under the center console and having it come up through the armrest? I'm thinking about doing it for mine, but the g/f uses a shuffle, so we would need two plugs...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I'm guessing you have the premium sound package?

I'm going to be driving one soon that has premium sound. Did you need any kind of special equipment to wire that HU in or did you just need a harness to interface with the factory wiring?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
I'm guessing you have the premium sound package?

I'm going to be driving one soon that has premium sound. Did you need any kind of special equipment to wire that HU in or did you just need a harness to interface with the factory wiring?
i put that head unit in there the first week i had the car. i had to buy a wiring harness and that compartment that i screwed the rca jacks into then all i had to do was remove all that stuff, then unscrew the old one, solder the harness to the factory wires, and then screw the new one and the compartment in and put it all back together...removing this head unit is by far one of the easiest ones i've ever removed

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
i put that head unit in there the first week i had the car. i had to buy a wiring harness and that compartment that i screwed the rca jacks into then all i had to do was remove all that stuff, then unscrew the old one, solder the harness to the factory wires, and then screw the new one and the compartment in and put it all back together...removing this head unit is by far one of the easiest ones i've ever removed
So I'm guessing there's no external amp in there then. No weird impedences on the speaker system or anything? Just plug and play.

Good stuff.