Quantcast

00 Super T burst oil after hitting hard

mudanoman

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bay Area
Hey,

I came up short on a road gap and when I landed oil from my 2002 Marzocchi Super T exploded all over my frame and shorts. I pumped the fork after I got back up and noticed that oil was dripping like mad out near one of the seals. Did I blow a seal? Never had this happen so I am not sure what to do next. I was planning to send it back to Marzocchi and have them examine and fix it. I wonder if there was any internal or structural damage done to the fork. Would it be worth fixing and keeping or selling? I am only 150lbs and never thought this would happen. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan

PS. I will try to post a clip or pic once my buddy finds time. :D

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
You probably blew a seal... where is it leaking? top (around stanchions) under the seal (between the seal and the tubes) or at the bottom?

there's not much to zocchis and you might have had too much oil in them (bottom out the fork with too much oil in it, there's no where for it to go but out)

the seals are like $50 bucks a set, and they're easy to change.

you may have just popped the seals out of their seats (they're held in by friction) in which case you could take the forks apart, put the seals back in, and put em back together (watch the oil level when you refill em)

the bushings are huge (by comparison) and Ive not seen too many cases where the stanchions were bent (and it was pretty darned obvious)