Quantcast

'00 Z2 Atom 80

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
'00 Z2 Atom 80, whats da poop on them. the reason I ask is I have had one since '03, but have not completely utilized it, and was wondering if it was still worth messing with. It's neon green looking...

AND...does anyone have the manual for one?

Thanks

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good fork. I bought several used Atom 80s for family bikes (since they could be had cheaply and are easily overhauled to work like new). They're pretty bombproof, since the damper is simple, they're short travel, and they're from the era where Marzocchi failures were rare.

My buddy pounded one for a few years before he finally upgraded to a 6" travel freeride bike - he really put the fork through more than it was intended to take, and it still kept ticking. It still is ticking, as a matter of fact, on my dad's bike.

Not the stiffest forks around, being a bolt on arch (at least I think the 00 was a bolt-on, the ones I was buying were 98/99) and 30mm stanctions, but good, solid, reliable forks.

If it isn't a bolt on arch, it'll be the bonded M-arch, which you should watch carefully for cracks. Those bonded arches were short lived since they were very prone to failure.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Mines a bolt on. I've had it, and actually bought it from a dude on here 3 years ago...

or was it 4...:think:

Than manuals they offer show a dual crown fork...so the manual is still being sought. I'm guessing that the fork would make a decent DJ fork...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm sure it'd be fine for a DJ fork if you're smooth. Just keep in mind it was made as an XC fork and the stress of casing a jump or repeated bad landings might easily cause it to fail.

The dual crown fork was the Mr. T. Cool fork, it could be converted between single crown and dual crown.

It's only got a simple SSVF (ported) damper, so other than blowing a seal, there's not much that goes wrong with them. Replacement seals are inexpensive and not that hard to replace.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
binary visions said:
I'm sure it'd be fine for a DJ fork if you're smooth. Just keep in mind it was made as an XC fork and the stress of casing a jump or repeated bad landings might easily cause it to fail.

The dual crown fork was the Mr. T. Cool fork, it could be converted between single crown and dual crown.

It's only got a simple SSVF (ported) damper, so other than blowing a seal, there's not much that goes wrong with them. Replacement seals are inexpensive and not that hard to replace.
Thanks! :thumb:

OK next question, what are the ultimate dynamics of the wiring harness for the Flux capacitor, especially in it's super-heated state when it reaches the correct speed?

:p :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sirknight6 said:
OK next question, what are the ultimate dynamics of the wiring harness for the Flux capacitor, especially in it's super-heated state when it reaches the correct speed?
6.318 x 10^34.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BikeGeek said:
Dude, don't take shortcuts, you know it's 6.317598.
Well, you have to consider your audience and dumb it down accordingly ;)

Ditto the comments on the Z2. I've been running a '98 on my bike since 2000 and it's been awesome.
Those forks are real gems. Not the lightest or the stiffest or the most technologically advanced, but for those who bike in the real world, with real jobs that limit riding time and real situations that are sometimes not kind to riding equipment, they just perform and perform without complaint and without hassle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sirknight6 said:
hhhmmmm.......I think I was just insulted, not sure though...:think:
Nah, I gave you three decimal places.

Insulting would have been, "I'd tell you, but you wouldn't understand."

:D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
binary visions said:
Nah, I gave you three decimal places.

Insulting would have been, "I'd tell you, but you wouldn't understand."

:D
Understand what????:confused:

:p :D

I got that interview this afternoon, and I'm as nervous as hell...this banter is a great distraction.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sirknight6 said:
I got that interview this afternoon, and I'm as nervous as hell...this banter is a great distraction.
Ohh, yeah. Hey, I don't think I posted in that thread, but congrats anyway on getting the interview and good luck with it.

Just tell him you understand the dynamics of the flux capacitor, and you're a shoe-in. Isn't that something every budding paralegal aspires to understand?