Quantcast

'01 Monster issue

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
Hey,

finally got around to service my Monster and can't get cartridges out. Footnuts or whatever they are called won't let them go. It feels like they are unscrewing, but them all of a sudden they start to tighten up again. And that's holding cartridges from the top so they don't spin along with those footnuts. Any ideas how to get them out?

Thanks in advance

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
By uppers you mean stanchions? I thought you're not able to untill you undo footnuts.

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
kidwoo said:
Take off your topcaps then you'll be able to remove the stanchions.
BS. They are held by neg spring which is attached to carts and all other guts. :nopity:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
IgorK said:
BS. They are held by neg spring which is attached to carts and all other guts. :nopity:
Sorry, you got me.

Okay, here's the REAL way to get to the carts...

Grab a pair of vice grips big enough to get around the stanchions. Be sure to get the part down by the lowers cuz it's the best. While holding the vice grips, get a 3/8" drill bit and "poke" the damper rod down into the top caps. You have to remove the preload knobs first.......us a ball peen hammer and swing perpendicular to the fork legs. Once you've "freed up" the damper rod, use the vice grips to unthread the topcaps. Remember, they're reverse threaded and can be really stubborn. Don't be scared to use a little muscle.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
kidwoo said:
Sorry, you got me.

Grab a pair of vice grips big enough to get around the stanchions. Be sure to get the part down by the lowers cuz it's the best. While holding the vice grips, get a 3/8" drill bit and "poke" the damper rod down into the top caps. You have to remove the preload knobs first.......us a ball peen hammer and swing perpendicular to the fork legs. Once you've "freed up" the damper rod, use the vice grips to unthread the topcaps. Remember, they're reverse threaded and can be really stubborn. Don't be scared to use a little muscle.
you forgot the part about the acid bath and 50 grit sandpaper

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
IgorK said:
Hey,

finally got around to service my Monster and can't get cartridges out. Footnuts or whatever they are called won't let them go. It feels like they are unscrewing, but them all of a sudden they start to tighten up again. And that's holding cartridges from the top so they don't spin along with those footnuts. Any ideas how to get them out?

Thanks in advance
If you're holding the top of the cartridge rod, that won't work. It spins freely inside the cartridge. You have to keep the lower part of the cartridge from spinning while you loosen the footnut. I usually loosen the footnuts a few turns before I even take the fork apart - then it's much easier to take them off after you have the springs out, because you don't have to hold the cartridge so tight. If you still have trouble removing the footnuts after that, once the oil has drained, put the spring and top cap back in and compress the fork while you loosen the footnuts. The spring pressure will hold the cartridge lowers from spinning. Good luck!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
kidwoo said:
Sorry, you got me.

It's vise grips you need then..........................Mine kept slipping with Channel locks.