Quantcast

'01 Psylo SL topping out

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think when I had that in my old Psylo race an oil change in the damper did the trick. Its not hard to do. But you have to be careful not to damage all the plastic parts and getting all the are out requires care and time. I think the spring side has few parts to break. If you've lost some oil from the damper I think it will all be contained inside the right leg. Air in the damper could be the culprit. Does the lockout still work? I found mine only worked when I had just overhauled it. A few weeks later there would be up to 2 cm of movement with the lockout on.

I was hoping you'd chime in, oldfart.

I tore the fork down last night. I didn't find anything broken, and the oil was not hydrolyzed, so I cleaned everything up and reassembled it.

One point of confusion was a rubber donut inside one of the fork legs which I take to be a bottoming pad - OD same as ID of legs, hole in middle same diameter as damper shaft. The exploded drawing in the manual is at best obscure - it seems to be depicted just below the seal kit for the legs, but it's not numbered. The drawing seems to indicate that there should be one in each leg, but I only found one.

Now that SRAM owns RockShox, there seem to be no manuals on the web site, and SRAM does not seem to offer tech support.

J

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I had the air version of the Psylo race, but I seem to recall that rubber bisquit in the bottom of each slider. My TALAS has them too but they are hard to see down in the bottom. I haven't pulled the wifes Psylo SL apart yet so I don't know what's in the spring side.

Originally posted by oldfart
I had the air version of the Psylo race, but I seem to recall that rubber bisquit in the bottom of each slider. My TALAS has them too but they are hard to see down in the bottom. I haven't pulled the wifes Psylo SL apart yet so I don't know what's in the spring side.
There should be one in each leg. Duke/Psylo lower leg bottom bumper kit, part number 11.4308.196.000 per SRAM/RockShox.

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
my psylo did that alot, so i just opened the top and put in some oil for a quick fix. there is no permanent fix, becuase rockshox suck, theres nothing you can do but buy a better fork

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
This may be a "duh," but I figure I'd post it anyway: Remember that the cold(er) temperatures will change how the oil in your fork acts and give a very different feel to your fork. I know mine's a completely different beast when the mercury dips below 45.

Turns out the oil change didn't fix it. This started happening before it got too cold, and I have ridden with this fork two winters or so.

In a conversation with LBS mechanic, I was told that the dampers fail frequently, so I guess I'm going to order another. Forty bucks for a damper is way cheaper than $400 and up for a new fork. Unfortunately, I'm not going to find one before the 'Nam ride Friday.

Besides, I got to looking and have decided that if I replace the fork, I need to think a lot about exactly what to get. I started out hearing Z1, then found that there are a truly confusing number of variations, then the same LBS guy suggested considering a Manitou SPV-based fork... I'm bewildered.

J