Quantcast

'01 QR20 Plus hub compatible w/20mm axle?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I *think* you can. I think I remember a few friends doing it and that it involved making/buying a new bearing spacer or something like that.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've run regular 20mm hubs on QR20 forks. I can't remember how we got the QR out. It might have been with force. Are you trying to use the marzocchi hub and just find another axle? I don't think this would give you a stiffer setup.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If I'm thinking you're asking the question I'm thinking I'm answering your qr20 axle is the same as a regular 20mm axle exept it has the quick release and skewer running through it rather than bolting on. You can use any 20mm hub with the QR20 system and you can use the marzocchi qr20 hub on any 20mm fork. At least that was how I understood it, the spacing is the same on all forks and hubs and the axle diameter is the same for all forks and hubs reguardless of the QR20, tulio or hex lock marketing jargon associated with it.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
The older - I think up to '01 hubs have an axle with raised flanges that sandwich inside the hub behind the bearings. You need to tap out the axle with the bearings to get it out, it doesn't slide through like a standard 20mm axle. These aren't really compatible with thru-axle forks as I understand, the inside diameter of the older bearings doesn't let you use a standard 20mm axle.

The older hubs "sort of" work with the newer forks. The end faces of the dust caps on the older ones are different than the newer ones. I'll try to take pics tonight to show the differences.

The newer QR20 hubs have a thru axle and can be used with bolts or the QR20 skewers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
The older - I think up to '01 hubs have an axle with raised flanges that sandwich inside the hub behind the bearings.
Youre thinking of the 1999 and 2000 QR20 system I think.

2001 was the start of QR20+.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
OK, I took the end cap/grease seals off the Marzocchi QR20 hub's axle and now the Monster's 20MM thru axle will fit through the hub bearings but not the grease seal/end caps. Do you have to get different end cap/grease seals(without grippy serrations) to use a QR20 Plus hub with a 20mm thru-axle? :confused:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
if it had the "D" shaped dropouts originally, it wasn't an 01 QR20+ hub, it was actually an '00 QR20 hub.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by Jm_
if it had the "D" shaped dropouts originally, it wasn't an 01 QR20+ hub, it was actually an '00 QR20 hub.
I don't know anything about "D" droputs, but the 20mm axle fits. It's just that these gasket thingies in the hub end caps(which are tightened with tiny set screws) won't go all the way onto the 20mm axle. The o-ring gasket thingy is too tight a fit to slide onto the thru-axle.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
do you have a picture? I thought that a 20 mm axle was 20 mm and should slide through the hub reguardless of how the axle attatches to the fork. Just junk the whole idea and get a psylo, they're superior forks anyways. :devil:

voodoofu

Chimp
Sep 22, 2006
I don't know anything about "D" droputs, but the 20mm axle fits. It's just that these gasket thingies in the hub end caps(which are tightened with tiny set screws) won't go all the way onto the 20mm axle. The o-ring gasket thingy is too tight a fit to slide onto the thru-axle.

Did you ever find out how to fix this issue??