Quantcast

02 Hayes HFX Mag caliper vs. 03?

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
How much better are the new 03 calipers than the 02s? I have another thread in here: "brake upgrade opportunity from my LBS". So, I had everything put on, a recap for those who don't know... they offered me a trade on my Hayes mech discs for Hayes HFX Mags, including new rotors all for $200. I got a really smoking deal, however after I went on my first ride I was looking at the calipers and the front caliper is the older 02 version that looks a little bigger and is not vented and the rear is an 03 vented. I think they were all supposed to be 02s. I called them up just asking out of curiosity and they said no problem they'll switch out the front one for an 03. I just called today and talked to another guy to see if they got them in yet and he was saying the other guy should have never done the deal because they didn't make anything on it, but not to worry they are still going to do it. I feel kinda bad fir them, should I just stay with what I have or have them put on the 03 caliper?

Sorry for the long winded post.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I think any improvement over the '02s is slight - there's the vent issue which is only a real issue if you're doing a lot of extremely long descents while dragging your brakes - and the old style caliper design has worked just fine for the past I don't know, 10 years? I've also heard that the new caliper is easier to get all the air bubbles out of when you're bleeding it, but again, the old one wasn't exactly difficult.

Suffice it to say, the old caliper isn't going to be holding you back any.....

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If they'll put the other '03 on there for no charge go for it. Don't feel guilty... just patronize the shop in the future, they sound like a good establishment.

If they change their minds though, don't worry about it. The '02s are fantastic brakes.

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Yeah, its just that I believe I was supposed to get a left over 02 set front and rear as this is an upgrade that was offered on the 02 Bear and Stinky. So, I think I just got lucky getting the rear 03 caliper.