Quantcast

02 shiver vs. 03 boxxer

Dan250

Chimp
Sep 2, 2002
Hey I’m looking for some advise from people with some experience, I am looking for a fork for mostly racing and some freeride/drop whatever, I was originally set on the 03 boxxer race but I have been waiting for ever and can get a used 02 shiver in good condition for around the same price. Anyways what are your opinions on the two forks ?

Thanks a lot for any help dan

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
get the shiver, i keep heaing about the boxxer RACE. most times when its set in the 6" setting. plus the shiver is upside down and can handle bumpy terrain better. also stiffer with the 35mm legs. the boxxer does have the 32mm legs this year, but its not worth it unless you get the world cup. and that costs more then a Shiver or a Monster. or well almost any other race fork out there.
also the shiver has the HSCV valving which helps you from botteming out and handling small bumps but slows down for those harder hits. Boxxer has "black box" technology. whatever the hell that means.
get the shiver.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
How much do you weigh, what bike is it going on, what terrain do you ride, and how well do you maintain your bikes?

Not sure why DHS thinks you have to get the world cup. It's the same fork as the team, except it has Ti Ni stanchions, which don't do a thing except look pretty and make the stanchions VERY scratch resistant. Boxxers are fantastic race forks, and the team is equal to the 01 and 02 forks plus it has adjustments that actually work.

Anyway, the shiver will give you an extra inch of travel, about 2 more lbs of weight, and marzocchi reliability. It's a fine race fork, if the weight doesn't bother you and you want the geometry of a taller fork.

Dan250

Chimp
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by ohio
How much do you weigh, what bike is it going on, what terrain do you ride, and how well do you maintain your bikes?

Not sure why DHS thinks you have to get the world cup. It's the same fork as the team, except it has Ti Ni stanchions, which don't do a thing except look pretty and make the stanchions VERY scratch resistant. Boxxers are fantastic race forks, and the team is equal to the 01 and 02 forks plus it has adjustments that actually work.

Anyway, the shiver will give you an extra inch of travel, about 2 more lbs of weight, and marzocchi reliability. It's a fine race fork, if the weight doesn't bother you and you want the geometry of a taller fork.
thanks for the info guys

i am 160lb, its going on a 02 bb7, mostly dh and freeride stuff i will be using it for, and my bike is maintained well

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well if it were a V10, Giant DH, M1, or something in more the race bike catigory i'd say boxxer. but if i had a BB7 it'd be getting a avalanche... or a Shiver DC.

dan250

i'm about 160 and ride a Karpiel Disco with Avalanche front and rear. best fork i've ever owned. DHF-8
its heavy but the upsidedown fork tracks a whole lot better then the monster i had on it before. plus steers better.