Quantcast

02 Z1 Wedge vs 00 Xvert DC

Mar 27, 2003
I have a problem. I'm debating these 2 forks. I could trade my current fork (02 MXC w/Ecc) for the Z1 Wedge, or pay $100 for the Manitou and sell the MXC.

I'm not sure about the dual craown thing. It will go on an Instigator frame that will be used as an all around bike, trail riding, a bit of street, and maybe a DH race or 2.

I want more travel and coil springs, which both forks would provide. The X vert has external preload and rebound, the Z1 internal. Weight is not a huge deal but I don't want a complete pig, and
I'm starting with a 7lbs steel frame.

Both forks are in good shape, but I'm more worried about durability with the X vert. Also the seller claims the Xvert has 100mm of travel I have read 120mm. Anybody know the real number?
I have zero real experience with dual craowns. Help a brother out.

DomDil

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
I cant believe you guys are saying the z1..its crap, It feels quite terrible, and although the manitou is a few years old, the TPC+ cant be beat, I rode a 2000 Manitou X-vert, and I would take it over a z1 wedge any day of the week, so much more plush, and very adjustable, I would go for the manitou.

DomDil

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Also, the X-vert has 120mm, and the only downside is your turning radius will be smaller with the dual crown.
And I would be more worried about the durablity of the z1, i've heard of so many with cracked stantions, creaking crowns, etc, the X-vert is an all around great fork, and remember, the x-vert dual crown was a $1200 fork when it came out.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Originally posted by DomDil
Also, the X-vert has 120mm, and the only downside is your turning radius will be smaller with the dual crown.
And I would be more worried about the durablity of the z1, i've heard of so many with cracked stantions, creaking crowns, etc, the X-vert is an all around great fork, and remember, the x-vert dual crown was a $1200 fork when it came out.
My Wedges are killer, strong, and smooth as silk. The only downside is the lack of adjustablity. But how many time do you adjust your setting on the trail? I never do...
My buddy gave my his almost new 2000 X-vert, and within a week the lower snapped. I would take a a internal adjust 'zocchi over a any manipoo... Never heard of any Wedges having problems, and can only speak from personal experience and what I see coming into the shop.:rolleyes:

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
the wedge ain't much of a DH fork - real basic valving, like the Jr.T. It's essentially a '01 Z.5, everything's the same.

I'm sure the structure of the Wedge is stronger than the Manipoo but it won't feel great on rocks and stuff.

Frankly I wouldn't want either one.