Quantcast

03 AC 1 Travel upgrade

sea4myself

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
Recondo Beach,Ca
This my first post, don't know if I'm in the right place. I met a guy the other day who told me that there were aftermarket shock pivot arms for my 03 Giant AC1 that would give me 8"-9" of travel. Has anyone heard of these, where to get them, and does it change geometery or BB height?
Thanx---

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bad idea.

There are many ways to change the travel on those bikes. Betd (www.betd.co.uk I believe) makes upgrade rocker arms, I'm sure there are others.

However, here's what can happen:

- First, if it doesn't require a longer shock, then all it's doing is increasing the leverage ratio on your shock. This is bad for the shock, will require a much higher spring rate, and can make your suspension feel like crap.

- If it doesn't increase the leverage ratio, you'll need a new shock as well as new rocker arms.

- There's a good chance it will skyrocket your BB height and steepen your headangle

All of these things are silly - the frame is not built to be an 8-9" travel freeride rig. It's a lightweight "do anything" bike with an emphasis on the burly side.

If you're going to drop $200+ on rocker plates, and $300+ on a new shock (because simply increasing your leverage ratio is a bad idea), you may as well save a little more and get a real 8-9" travel frame.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Well no one that i know of makes any upgrades that give you 8 or 9 inches but there are a few that can give you up to 7. Betd is one of them and so is sgf components which is the one i have, is all you need is a higher spring rate ,it wont kill your shock or change the bikes geometery and it made my bike ride much nicer .

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
sea4myself said:
I appreciate the imput. I'll look into it, sounds like I should leave it alone.
Thanx alot
Yea, I say that if it works, don't fix it! Dude, your bike is fine the way it is....just be happy thatcha got such a sweet ride. :think: