Quantcast

03' Jr. T and Avid BBDB fitment issues

jaystizo

Chimp
Jul 23, 2003
Whenever I try to mount my front tire, the caliper is always rubbing the brake. It appears the caliper needs to be pushed in about 2-3 mm more or the rotor needs to sit about 2-3 mm outward. Aynone have these kind of fitment issues and know of a fix.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Sounds like you have a 6" brake with a fork designed for 8" rotors. 8" rotor oriented forks have the IS tabs set in ~5mm to make room for a fatter adapter. Hayes adapters will work with Avis brakes, and I think they make one for putting 6" rotors on forks intended for 8" rotors.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
when you say pushing "in" or "out" do you mean "in towards away from the fork leg toward the center of the bike" or do you mean "in towards the hub axle"?

If it's the first one, you just have to shim the caliper between the adapter and the fork mounts. Washers from an old V-brake usually work pretty well.
Also, this may sound silly, but have you loosened the post mount bolts between the caliper and the adapter and pushed the caliper all the way "inward."

edit: last thing, if you're running a shimano hub (or other cup and cone bearing hub) make sure the cones and locknuts are tight, and properly centered.

jaystizo

Chimp
Jul 23, 2003
I meant "in" towards the center of the bike.

Well here's the latest scoop. I called up Avid and they said their 6" brakes weren't meant to fit on a QR20 fork. The only alternative is to buy the 8" Hayes adaptor (which I ended up doing) and put a 8" rotor up front (which I did as well)

jaystizo

Chimp
Jul 23, 2003
Oh, I bought mine used from somone. It didn't come with the manual but I just checked out their website and found it.. thanks

Originally posted by skinny
If you read Marzocchi's '03 owner's manual that comes with the forks, you'll see that all the QR20 forks are meant for 8" discs. Check out page 43.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I had to shim out my 8" avid discs too. The suggestion avid gives is to buy a hayes 8" adaptor. I thought it was funny that avid doesn't have an adaptor for their 8" brakes that fits forks designed for 8" rotors.:rolleyes: