Quantcast

'03 Super T, What holds the lowers to the uppers???

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Swapped my Z150 for an 03 Super T a month or 2 ago, haven't really gotten a chance to ride it until recently. Tonight we were simply testing a ramp we built for a step-up(WAS going to be this weekend). Popped off the top and the freakin lowers and wheel popped off the stanchions! Trashed my damn seals, fluid all over my brakes, etc, but after inspection, I can't find ANYTHING that was retaining the lowers other than a good vaccuum. But as I was sitting here, I just remembered that there USED to be a small black knob on each side, they aren't there anymore, just two little holes that are now grooved to the top, so apparently the knobs got ripped off on the jump. I see there is a small groove slightly below the knobs position, any chance there was SUPPOSED to have been an E-Clip or something on there?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
There is supposed to be an e-clip for each leg under the preload adjuster knob. That's pretty much the only thing holding the lowers on.

This is probably why Marzocch switched to a threaded top cap and jam nut arrangement on the newer forks.

Mike

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
INSIDE of the bottom of each stanchion is a big c clip that holds the damping cartridge inside stanction. The cartridge is bolted onto the bottom of the lowers, and those c-clips and bolts hold your entire fork together. Some retard probably forgot to put the clips back on and it just now popped apart.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
zane said:
INSIDE of the bottom of each stanchion is a big c clip that holds the damping cartridge inside stanction. The cartridge is bolted onto the bottom of the lowers, and those c-clips and bolts hold your entire fork together. Some retard probably forgot to put the clips back on and it just now popped apart.

Uhh... i don't think so. Every fork i've ever had are secured at the top, but I've just never had a year with the C-clips, I've had two this same year, but I had aftermarket air assist on both, so it was a threaded cap rather than this E-clip crap.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
No Zane is right. Now that I remember. There are the clips on the top caps to hold the damper rods but there are inserts in the bottom of the stanchions, held by big circlips, to keep the cartridge from pulling out the bottom of the leg. The Shiver is different. It's only held together by the little circlips on the top cap.

Mike

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Dartman said:
No Zane is right. Now that I remember. There are the clips on the top caps to hold the damper rods but there are inserts in the bottom of the stanchions, held by big circlips, to keep the cartridge from pulling out the bottom of the leg. The Shiver is different. It's only held together by the little circlips on the top cap.

Mike
The cartridges are BOLTED to the bottom of the legs. Thats what the nuts/bolts are on the bottom of a Super T, they have an O-ring seal, Just apply a bit of side pressure to a cartridge and pop that bolt loose and the cartridge slips right out.
But it's all cool, I got the E-clips, rebuilt the whole damn thing and it's ready to rock.