Quantcast

03 xtr rear derailleur adjustement barrel?

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by Echo
Was I drunk when we adjusted your derailleur? I thought it was there. :confused:
no you weren't drunk but you have been awake for only a few seconds. I think I remember telling you about it and we played around with the shifter barrel on top.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by oldfart
03 has only the one at the bar. No need for two now is there?
I like adjusting from the one at the bottom, but maybe that is just me, the one at the shifter is hard to turn since it so close to the shifters.

Could I add one? probably not.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It'd be a good trick to adjust your derailleur while riding with one on the rear :). But I know what you mean. The one at the shifter is a bit cumbersome to use while the bike is in the stand. Easy while riding though. And the one on the rear is prone to damage. I have a parts drawer full of slightly bent but still servicable derailleur barrel adjusters. As well as ones salvaged from broken derailleurs which are in good shape.

If you need more adjustment than is available with one adjuster than the cable wasn't tightened enough, or you didn't give a good enough Ted Nugent when you first installed it. You should shift a freshly installed gear cable into the lowest gear for regular derailleurs or highest gear for low normal derailleurs and then grab the cable on an open run like across the top tub and pull hard. That helps seat the housings and ferrules so that when you now adjust it, it won't go out in a big way when it seats later.