Quantcast

'04 SGS DH Pro shock hardware question

Aug 11, 2003
First off I'd like to throw my positive comments into the mix regarding the '04 SGS DH pro. I recently replaced my Banshee scream/monster T combo with a complete SGS DH pro and it's made a world of difference on the race course (just recently attained enough points to bump myself up to expert class). I found it a bit weird buying a highend bike from Sportchek (the exclusive distributors of Iron Horse in Canada), but the bike is fantastic. I find myself carrying more speed into rugged corners and pedaling hard throughout the rough stuff.

My question is a simple one. What are the dimensions for the bottom reducers/bushing/sleeves to connect the 4-way Swinger to the e13 linkage? It seems I have worn down the aluminum sleeve that fits over the reducer and between the shock and the e13 linkage, leading to a small amount of vertical play in the linkage. I am looking to order replacements, assuming that they are a standard part that can be ordered through my Manitou dealer. If they are a standard part, does anyone know the part number?

Thanks in advance

Simon Hirota

hirotasa at mcmaster.ca

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't know the part number but what you're most likely experiencing is the DU bushing getting worn. Usually this is all you wil need to replace/ask for. Chances are your reducers are fine and you shouldn't need to replace them. They'll usually last longer than the DU bushings.

Aug 11, 2003
I'd thought that is might simply be the DU bushings, but when I torque the hardward down to specs. the aluminum sleeves that slide over the reducers can spin freely. I'm pretty sure that they should fit snuggly between the shock and linkage.

Simon

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm trying to remember what the 04 IH shock mounts look like. I've only seen a few at this point. You have two sleeves that fit over a long shaft that is the DU contact bushing (3 pieces total) OR do you have just two aluminum reducer pieces that both fit into the DU bushing?

I think it's the former which is how my norco is set up. If it is the 3 piece system, I had play as well on my brand new bike. I got the two sleeves on each side tight by making some shims that fit over the shaft that contacts the DU bushing, thereby making the sleeves that fit over that shaft more snug when the shock bolt is tightened. If you have actual play when you have everything tight, and grab the seat/frame, then I would still say it's your DU bushing. Anything else would either be the shaft is too thin to sit snug within the DU bushing, or the sleeves are too short for the shaft (the issue I had).

Hopefully an actual IH owner can give you some more info.

Aug 11, 2003
The IH has two reducers that fit into the DU bushings on each side of the shock. An aluminum sleeve fits over top of of each reducer. I've got some info to order some new hardware, but I may also replace the DU bushings sooner than later to tighten things up.

Simon

Aug 11, 2003
Yep, 5 pieces including the DU bushing. The Manitou site indicates that I should call them for info on the hardware kits for the 4-way Swingers. I know that I need 8x60mm mounting hardware, but the kits appear to be 3 pieces not 4...

Simon

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I have the fix to the problem I think.

Call IH x 209 and ask Bruce for the new linkage brace bolts!! Some of the stock ones were wrong and bottomed out early.

-ska todd

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
The problem is that the inner sleeves (that go directly over the shock bolt) are ever so slightly too long, so the nuts at the end of the shock bolt, bottom on that instead of on the linkage. All the SGS's I've seen have had this issue, but it's reasonably easy to fix (provided you haven't bent your shock bolt, which I have) by simply taking out the innermost (to the bolt) spacer/reducer thingy, and filing about 1mm off the OUTER end of each one, more if necessary.

Ay Todd, would you know if the Aus importer has any spare shock bolts?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
thaflyinfatman said:
Ay Todd, would you know if the Aus importer has any spare shock bolts?
If he doesn't we can send more down your way.

-ska todd

Aug 11, 2003
Thanks for all the help everyone. I've got the necessary parts coming my way. For now my bike is good to go. A special thanks to Iron Horse customer service for the quick answers.

Simon