Quantcast

04 Skareb Platinum, or 04 Minute?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm stuck at a crossroads in my life. I'm trying to decide on a new fork, a brand new 04 Skareb Platinum, or a used 04 Minute 2:00. I'm going to be using it for XC and Marathon/24 Hour racing. I weigh in around 170ish right now, but by mid season it normally drops under 160.

And now, a vaunted pro/con list:

Pros of the Skareb:

-Lightish (3.4lbs)

-SPV

-100mm of Travel

-Brand New

-No known reliability issues

-Devours bumps when setup right

Cons of the Skareb:

-$25 more than the Minute

-Perhaps more flexy because of 28.6 stanchions

Pros of the Minute:

-Perhaps stiffer, 30.0mm stanchions

-100mm of travel

-Supposedly uber-plush when it works and is dialed in right

-Cheaper (25$)

-Sexier (integrated graphics! yum!)

Cons of the Minute:

-Heavier than the Skareb (.3lbsish)

-Used (Who knows?)

-Reviews on the Minute show it having a terrible reliability record (Although supposedly this one has just been rebuilt)

So...thoughts?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
me = '04 Skareb Plat. towards the end of last season - so far so good :thumb:

BUT, note: make SURE you use the proper length bolts for your brake caliber!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMcG said:
I'd just stick with the Fox fork that you already have on your bike.
It's mine now. :sneaky: I figured I needed to standardize Fox forks for my Hardtail, race bike and trail bike. Life is good, although I haven't the money to get a fox for the Gemini. Although I did make some kind of effort to convince XBTX to stay with the fox.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I've had a Skareb Platinum for over a year now. It developed a 'click' when it went thru its travel, but Manitou fixed it under warranty, even though it was out if the warranty period by 3 months :thumb: The only thing it lacks is small bump sensitivity, but it's SPV, so it goes without saying. BTW, mine was the 80mm model. The only thing about it is that it's on the bike I'm selling :(

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Westy said:
It's mine now. :sneaky: I figured I needed to standardize Fox forks for my Hardtail, race bike and trail bike. Life is good, although I haven't the money to get a fox for the Gemini. Although I did make some kind of effort to convince XBTX to stay with the fox.
Haha...meh. Fox smox, maybe I'll get an F100x off of eBay...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
motomike said:
Skareb. My minute developed a click also, as it went throguh the travel.
I really wonder if the internals on these things are the same, with just fatter stanchions/lowers on the Minute.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
xbluethunderx said:
I really wonder if the internals on these things are the same, with just fatter stanchions/lowers on the Minute.
I would guess maybe a larger SPV chamber in the Minute, but that's just pure e-speculation.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
If there's a bunch I would guess there's a reason for that...usually the good forks are hard to find on Ebay....just food for thought....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've heard a lot of people don't like the Terralogic technology. I'm wondering if it would mess up the feel of my full suspension.

What I'd REALLY like is an F100RLT...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
genpowell71 said:
You can never go wrong with a Marzocchi. I've owned both and I just bought an All mountain 3 for my new ride. I think it'll be much better than my old minute.
I had an 02 Marathon (the year they were light) 100mm that I really liked, but the new ones are heavy, and there is no 100mm Marathon Race. Edit: The AM is waaay too heavy, I was trying to keep this around 3.5 lbs. Will be used for endurance racing, so I wanted something beefier than a SID, but lighter than a Float...

This thread was totally in vain. My mom had to make a CC payment over the weekend before I could buy the skareb from Greenfish, and by Tuesday they were all gone. Oh well, I picked this up on eBay for 350...brand new, just need to change the travel to 100 when I get it :D

J

JRB

Cool - I wish I could've just swapped Julie's Skareb Platinum for your float, but she likes it pretty well. I hear good things about the reba. I liked my duke race.

blue said:
I had an 02 Marathon (the year they were light) 100mm that I really liked, but the new ones are heavy, and there is no 100mm Marathon Race. Edit: The AM is waaay too heavy, I was trying to keep this around 3.5 lbs. Will be used for endurance racing, so I wanted something beefier than a SID, but lighter than a Float...

This thread was totally in vain. My mom had to make a CC payment over the weekend before I could buy the skareb from Greenfish, and by Tuesday they were all gone. Oh well, I picked this up on eBay for 350...brand new, just need to change the travel to 100 when I get it :D
2 things wrong with that...

1. I'm not a weight weenie
2. Its all about what you ride and how you ride.

There isnt anything wrong with what you want the fork for, but like I was informed about, 70% of people on here are into freeriding and aggressive trail. So a heavier fork isnt a big deal to them. But hey, thats the great thing about choice...