Quantcast

'05 66R vs. '03 Super T...revisited

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I started this debate a while back when i had the option of buying a
'05 66R for cheap. well, i ended up buying it for a friends hardtail with the hopes of reducing it to 110mm, but i didn't do any research and just assumed that i could reduce it that much (he wanted a super burly fork that would be really stiff for park/street...and it was CHEAP!)

so anyway, it's not going to reduce enough for his hardtail, well, not enough to make any difference from the sherman that's on it now. i got it for dirt cheap (about the same price i paid to fill up my mini-van ;) ) because it has a short steer tube that won't fit most beefy rigs, however, if i put my SIC stem on the demo it'll fit perfectly with no spacers.

so the question stands again. should i swap out the '03 SuperT for the 66? I plan on keeping the super t for places like sugar and windrock (i hope to finally make it out there this year), but for the everyday stuff that i ride around here; ie: "burly trailrides", dirtjumps and fast, pedally DH runs...would the 66 serve me better? the headangle is roughly the same as is the travel. i measured the axle/crown on both and they're within 1/4" of each other and within 1/2" in travel.
the 66 is 2 years newer and feels pretty good, it also "looks" burlier with the larger stanchions and is slightly more tuneable....but is it DH worthy? is the superT really that much better for southeast DH?

one last thing....keep in mind that i am a sport class DH racer but i ride the demo year round for just about everything other than street/park. i CAN'T afford another medium travel rig for the "do it all" stuff so i'm trying to find the happy medium for the demo that makes the local stuff less of a chore and will still handle all but the burliest DH courses.

so whaddaya think?

i hate picture-less threads so here's a pic w/ the superT

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
don't get me wrong, i love mine too and i'm not getting rid of it. i'm just trying to find out if the 66 can handle everything the super t did...and by the looks of it, i'm assuming that it can.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the only reason to me to use the 66 would be for tighter turning or x-ups,

since you have it, throw it on and use it, see what you think, it won't hurt anything.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i just put it on and played around on it in my neighborhood....in the dark ;) it feels great, even without any air preload since i don't have the adapter for the right leg. the rebound adjust seems to be about the same as the super but easier to use (no flathead screwdriver required). it feels much more "flickable", but that is partially attributed to the shorter stem and height. i'll probably race it like this at an upcoming SuperD race and play around in the rock garden to see if i can tell a major difference in handling. it feels a lot like my super t but with even better top-out buffering....i guess time will tell whether or not it will be as good for racing as my beloved superT.

i took a few pics of it. i haven't cleaned my bike since the icycle night DH race earlier this month so it's pretty filthy.

and my new headbadge that i made. .223 cal/5.56mm :thumb:

edit: don't mind that screw sticking out from the bottom of the head tube, i have yet to trim my homemade headlock ;) it was set up for my P2 with a longer steertube.