Quantcast

'05 White Bros DH1.8: Front Wheel Dish?!??

Alright, I need a sanity check here. I thought I was going nuts until I called WB tech support and verified my suspicions: the only way to center the goddam wheel between the fork legs is to dish the wheel ~15mm to the right (non-disk) side of the hub. I was assured this wouldn't compromise the strength of the front wheel, but... :think: I've never had to dish a front wheel to get it to run centered, and this seems a rather poor solution to what seems to be stupid legacy issue.

According to the tech I talked to this is somthing WB addressed for '06, meaning you no longer need to dish the wheel to get it to run centered. Which leads me to think that, despite assurances to the contrary, having to dish the wheel (IMHO) excessively is indeed not only a pain and stupid, but also a strength issue...

Anyone have experience with later-model WB DH forks and dishing the wheel? I'm a little hesitant to muck up my Outlaw wheelset before I'm certain that re-dishing as much as seems needed won't line me up for Taco City a short distance down the road.

Thanks! :thumb:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Actually, on a disc front wheel it is typically dished toward the brake side. I'm not sure the reason you have to dish the wheel differently for the white bros fork, but it seems to me that is should build a stronger-than-normal front wheel.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
You're not dishing your wheel excessively to get it to run centered on the DH1.8/2.0 forks. It is a dishless wheel. They're 120mm spacing as opposed to 110mm (hence the little spacer that you have to run on the axle) so you should only have to pull it 5mm to the non-brake side to get it to run centered. Whoevery told you 15mm is fully on crack and should be punched in the nuts.

I think they changed it to get in line with the industry standard spacing of 110mm so people don't have to worry about the voodoo magic that is wheel truing. :rolleyes: I remember flymybike saying something about this....

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
SilentJ has it. Regular disc wheels are all dished. The point of 120mm is that you can add a spacer to a regular 110x20mm hub, build the wheel undished, and the rim ends up centered.

You can also use a 120mm hub for greater strength, but I don't know who makes those.