Quantcast

'06 Boxxer Ride U-turn problem

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
hey fellow monkeys
so i have just recently acquired a 2006 boxxer ride. everything works great except one thing (which i have neglected checking during inspection :disgust1: ). like the title says, it's the u-turn.
starting from any amount of travel except the minimum (138 mm, max is 178), and compressing the fork hard enough, the travel is decreased when the fork returns to its normal position. when i do this a few times in a row, i can see the u-turn cap rotating.
here's a video on youtube that demonstrates the exact same problem that i have.

so i popped the capped and checked underneath. the detent balls and springs seemed ok. do you guys think it's an internal problem? anyone else had had this problem??

thanks a lot!

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
The problem most probably lies with the nylon insert at the bottom of the U-turn spring.

Usually when customers come in with this issue the nylon insert is damaged or the spring section where it moves around has been deformed.

Pull out the U-turn assembly (requires you to loosen the bottom retaining bolt on the fork) and inspect the lower area.

To loosen the bottom retaining bolt, unscrew it a few turns so there is a small space between the bolt head and the outers of the fork. Tap it with a rubber mallet/equivalent until it goes into the outers, then you can remove the assembly from the top.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Well, if you want to remove the U-turn assembly, take off the cap and remove the steel balls and springs, put them aside.

Get e friend to hold the bike for you during all this, or hang the saddle on a fence/equivalent.

Remove the bottom retaining bolt as earlier instructed and let the oil drain into a pan or some kind of container. There is not a lot of oil in that leg so the container need not be huge.

If your bars are not in the way you can unscrew the U-turn assembly and pull it out.

If you want to take the outers off completely, do the same drain procedure with the other leg, remove front wheel, remove brake caliper and any zip ties/fasteners holding your brake hose to the lowers.

Now simply flip the bike and pull the outers off, again take care of any excess oil coming out of the fork.