Quantcast

06 Boxxer worldcup - Too stiff ??

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
Heres the problem, my fork is pretty hard in the beginning of the travel now, with whatever Air pressure i put in it. Even at 100psi i need to push about 40 pound on the handlebar to make it move and now my hands are killing me ( Compression and floodgate all the way off ). Its been ridden for 2 months since it been fully rebuilt / oil change. Anyone know what could be the problem ? I got a race in 2 days :clapping:

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
found that on dropmachine. could that be the problem ?

''There also seemed to be an issue with air sneaking beyond the damper, into the bottom of the leg. This effectively creates a second air spring, but one that’s beyond the control of the Motion Control system. Again this was easily cured with a quick teardown and rebuild, but still is a problem unique to this fork.''

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Take off your wheel and caliper adapter. Let all the air out of your left leg. Flip your bike upside down. Unscrew the cartridge bolts on the bottom of your Boxxer. Slide the lowers off the stanchions. Thoroughly clean and then lube the hell out of your seals and wipers with Judy/Sram Butter or Slick Honey. The lube the bottom (part going into lowers) 1-2" of your stanchions with Judy/Sram Butter or Slick Honey. Replace lowers and slide them 4-6" onto the stanchions. Fill the bottom of your Air leg with 5-10cc of 5wt oil, fill the bottom of your MoCo leg with 5cc MAX of 5wt oil. Slide the lowers all the way back onto the stanchions and replace cartridge bolts. Replace wheel and caliper adapter.

Since Boxxers don't operate on a true full oil bath system, dry internals can lead to significant friction. Try refilling your air leg and see if that helps. If not, you may have damaged bushings or bent stanchions or lowers. That's something you'll want to have a mechanic inspect to determine whether or not there is any damage.

Another spot that may be experiencing some friction is the o-rings on your rebound and lower air piston cartridges. If you've never really worked with suspension forks before, this may be something you'd want to let a mechanic take care of as well.

As you can probably see there are a number of possible causes for your problem, and unfortunatley only one or two fixes are simple. Try the one I described above and if it doesn't help, bring it to your LBS.

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
alright, thx to matt for fixing it. had to take off the air on the left side, flip the bike upside down , unscrew both the lower bolts and tap them with a hammer untill the stancion move from the lower. lower the fork at full travel letting the air from the lowers out and tightening the bolts.

Have to get the fork serviced soon ... its feeling better now but not like new