Quantcast

06 Specialized Bighit III

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I have settled it, this weekend was my last on a full suspension xc bike at snowshoe. I have decided to buy a 06 bighit III and i was woundering what size i should buy. This is going to be used for mostly downhill and some mild freeride. i was woundering if there are any upgrades that need to be done like a Ti spring, i weigh around 155-160lbs. i am gitting a deal from a LBS on a "blemished" 06 for only $1800. it will only have a 3 inch long buy 3mm wide scratch on the underside of the down tube.

Thanks,
~Matt

vpsaline

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
I bought a 2005 Norco A-Line, a very similar frame (but I wont get into that too much). The first thing that comes to mind when upgrading these 3,000 FSR bikes is the fork. The 888vf just doesnt do it for me. Change it before it prematurely kills you. Once thats done, the rear shock and and brakes are already good enough. So Im not sure how good EX325 wheels + hubs are , but maybe concentrate your upgrades on wheels next.

Buy which ever size is "blemished" lol, that 1800$ size fits your wallet just fine :rofl:

Small 400lbs spring; Medium 450, Large 500.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
specializedride said:
I was woundering what size i should buy?
I weigh around 155-160lbs...
How tall are you ?

Change things when they break or when the performance is really poor.
I have a 2006 SX trail and the stock components are better than I expected
....even the 'so often bashed' 66VF is doing it's job pretty well.
I changed the standard 7.5WT oil for 5WT oil and played with the oil heights.
The EX325's are on the heavy side but are still straight and true.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
an 1800.00 Big Hit 3 is a damn good deal. There is a West Coast pro team that is actually running Big Hit's instead of Demo 8's for weight savings. They're swapping out some stock stuff for sponsor parts and building up silly light rides. Exact same geometry as Demo 8 as well. Enjoy!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
specializedride said:
I have settled it, this weekend was my last on a full suspension xc bike at snowshoe. I have decided to buy a 06 bighit III and i was woundering what size i should buy. This is going to be used for mostly downhill and some mild freeride. i was woundering if there are any upgrades that need to be done like a Ti spring, i weigh around 155-160lbs. i am gitting a deal from a LBS on a "blemished" 06 for only $1800. it will only have a 3 inch long buy 3mm wide scratch on the underside of the down tube.

Thanks,
~Matt
Smart, ask what size you need w/o listing your height. :rolleyes:

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Bicyclist said:
And what size is the scratched one? You need a small or a medium.
they have a medium with the scratch,they also have a small with a bigger scratch over the specialized on the down tube of that bike but it doesnt look very good and costs more for some reason $1950 for the small.. i ride a large spcialized stumpjumper for xc.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just get what feels comfortable. Don't get a medium because it's cheaper; if it doesn't fit right forget it.

You ride a large Stumpjumper?!? That's crazy. Is it the 18" or the 19" (assuming it's the HT)? I'm 5'11" and I'd buy a 17 (medium) for XC.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Bicyclist said:
Just get what feels comfortable. Don't get a medium because it's cheaper; if it doesn't fit right forget it.

You ride a large Stumpjumper?!? That's crazy. Is it the 18" or the 19" (assuming it's the HT)? I'm 5'11" and I'd buy a 17 (medium) for XC.
it is the fsr. i had the seat tube cut down 4 or so inches, i also put a smaller stem on. it fits alright it is just a tad tall though.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I am willing to bet that the Medium will feel better at 5'8"... I know shorter people who have ridden a large and I ride a Medium at your height and it is just right.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i know it sounds stupid but should i run clippless pedals like crank bros mallets. i am used to being able to hop around cliped in and i can jump, drop, and corner better. i want to know if there are any serious dangers of running clipless? i have crashed prety bad and have always have came uncliped. i have never ben "stuck" in my pedals. i think i will go with the medium frame but i will test ride them first.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't know, a small may be better at your height. I'm on a medium Demo 8 and I'm 5' 11" - 6'.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
specializedride said:
i know it sounds stupid but should i run clippless pedals like crank bros mallets. i am used to being able to hop around cliped in and i can jump, drop, and corner better. i want to know if there are any serious dangers of running clipless? i have crashed prety bad and have always have came uncliped. i have never ben "stuck" in my pedals. i think i will go with the medium frame but i will test ride them first.
I ride all the stuff at Whistler clipped in...I also race clipped...I just started getting into dirt jumping and that's the only time when I toss flats on...just cause the learning curve is a little steep when you come up short and have to go to work the next day and be coherent....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im 5'9" and the medium fit me. 5'8" is the cut off. The small felt good to me too.

How old are you? Are you going to get any taller? If so get the med. If not get the small. I like my bikes on the small side.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Kanter said:
Im 5'9" and the medium fit me. 5'8" is the cut off. The small felt good to me too.

How old are you? Are you going to get any taller? If so get the med. If not get the small. I like my bikes on the small side.
I am 15 so i am going to grow some more. probally going in to order it tomorrow.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Get the med. My wife is 5'8" and she rides a med.

Why do you have to order it? I thought they had a scratched one in stock.