Quantcast

06 sx trail

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Yesterday I got to jump on an SX Trail and get a feel for that set up and I saw the owner of that bike ripping it up on some trails and drops.....WOW! I had no idea that bike was capable of doing so much! I have to say that I likes it so much I am now considering selling my VP-Free frame so I can get one. And now for the questions... Does anyone out there have any idea what the weight of 06, medium SX Trail frame with the fox dhx 5.0 is? Also, is the SX Trail the same frame as the 06 Enduro or does the SX Trail have thicker tubing?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Don't know the weight, but I'd guess it's around 9 lbs for frame and shock. It's a totally different frame from the Enduro. It's beefed up and slackened out. Basically a mini DH bike.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
dexterq20 said:
Don't know the weight, but I'd guess it's around 9 lbs for frame and shock. It's a totally different frame from the Enduro. It's beefed up and slackened out. Basically a mini DH bike.
Word to your mama! :stupid: wood-dog check your pm's

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
word is right. Minni DH bike is a good way to put it, Im demo'n a 06SXT, I love the thing, will be offiacally my ride in the summer.

They seem to be able to take some killer hits - I've gone deep off a 14ft drop many times with mine. Its smoother then the bighit its replacing by far!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The frame is slackened but it's not beefed over a regular Enduro. The weight difference is in the coil shock alone.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
punkassean said:
The frame is slackened .
from what specialized says, the sx and sx trail are design specific, putting a longer stroke shock on a reg. enduro would steepen the HA and raise the b.b.,

using the sxtrail shuttle still doesn't give you the full adjustability of the boost valve. ('06 sxtrail can still use both high and low shock shuttles w/ dhx coil with full adjustability of the boost valve, not stuck with only 1 option as you would be on the regular enduro frame) There are geometry differences in both the sx and sxtrail not only due to shock sizes and mounting hardware but frame components/pieces as well.

punkass mentions it in this mtbr thread.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=98458&page=3

I would venture to guess, that the tubing thicknesses are gonna be very similar as the weights are within a very close range.

by the way the sxtrail is sick!

edit: I may put in a call to specialized monday just out of curiosity to see if any of this can be confirmed, tubing thicknesses, shock shuttles, geometry, frame pieces so on...

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
biker3 said:
Yup, Dexter is wrong. All the enduro frames are the same, including the SX. They just use different shock lengths to change up the Geo. Specialized is way smart when it comes to saving money.

Really! So I could buy an enduro and slap a 9" by 2.75 shock and have the SX Trail? Same tubing and geometry? Are you sure about this? I thought the SX trail was the all-around a$$ kicker while the Enduro was the lighter weight all Mtn bike. Granted I know you are going to drop weight by the component specs but for an all around lighter weight trail bike, I assumed that lighter tubing would aslo be used!

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Castle said:
by the way the sxtrail is sick!

Oh yes sir-ie, you bet your pants it is! If it wasn't, I would be thinkin' about giving up the vpfree for one!

By the way Castle, if you meet up with us on the 4th are you going to bring your SX Trail?

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
as punkass said-they are all the same frame, only the shock lengths change it--you could buy the sx frame(the black and white one) and put a 8.75x2.75 dhx and have a sick looking sx trail frame. mines a kick ass ride, lasted me a month in whistler, but broke the chainstay on the wall ride on the last day. spec wasnt too bad with the warranty and had it back in order soon after

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
ufdff15 said:
the rear end on the sx is actually longer than the sxt according to my friend that has a '05 SX and a '05 SXT
4mm's to be exact
www.specialized.com
the top tube lengths are all over the board as well from model to model, these are not the same frames

biker3

Turbo Monkey
They aren't different frames. Its not just changing the shock. They use different shuttles, link, and shock lengths to get the geometry changes. I work at a specialized dealing shop. They use the same forged HT, Same forged BB and tubing they just change up the shock mounts and what not. The sizing might be somewhat different but as far as construction goes, they're the exact same.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
so changing the shock "hardware" can shorten the chainstays and change the TT length? If you go to specialized site and look at the geo for both sx and the sx trail you will see that they are different. There are many different #'s and none of them are the same frame to frame.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I never implied that the SX and the SXT were the same. I was referring to the regular Enduro bikes and the SXT being virtually the same tubing thickness wise and geometry wise. The 4" travel SX is VERY different in many ways.

fatnold

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Sunny Sydney
don't get confused between the sx and the sx trail. the only similarity is the name. the sx is a 4" travel 4x bike. low bottom bracket and short rear. the sx TRAIL is more or less a heavy duty enduro.

i have a 2005 enduro pro and a 2006 sx. i believe the rear triangle is heavier wall tubing on my sx than my enduro and assume the sx trail is the same. ( i hope so because i have snapped my enduro swing arm.)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
You can't switch the shock shuttles around from Enduro to Enduro, either. There are a ton of huge threads on MTBR about this. The SX Trail has special, beefy chainstays that are a little bit longer. These also serve to lower and slacken out the bike. I had to draw some pics to see how that works, but with the same length seat stay, the longer chain stay places the rear axle higher up, lowering and slackening the bike.

I really want some SX Trail chainstays for my 2005 4x SX, especially now that I got a Vanilla coil shock for it.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
bikenweed said:
You can't switch the shock shuttles around from Enduro to Enduro, either. There are a ton of huge threads on MTBR about this. The SX Trail has special, beefy chainstays that are a little bit longer. These also serve to lower and slacken out the bike. I had to draw some pics to see how that works, but with the same length seat stay, the longer chain stay places the rear axle higher up, lowering and slackening the bike.

I really want some SX Trail chainstays for my 2005 4x SX, especially now that I got a Vanilla coil shock for it.
how positive of this are you? i might have messed up saying hte sx and sxt are the same frame...but when i broke the chainstay on my 05 SXT, specialized initially sent out a green enduro chainstay, i simply didnt like the color change, so i sent it back for the sxt chainstay-im not too sure if they are different at all.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Look at the frames, look at the numbers, and draw some triangles on an X,Y graph. The only way to make the chainstays longer is to make them longer. Between the SX and the SX Trail, I know for a fact that the SX Trail has longer and stronger stays.

'05 SX=420mm cs, '05 SX Trail=424mm cs, and an extra gusset.

Now, Specialized could have completely redesigned the link and seat stays also, but the amount of effort that would take in comparison to lengthening and beefing up the cs would be a lot more. There are a ton of reasons why the stays are longer on the SX Trail, inlcuding clearance with the vertical and forward axle path.

mtbr has a great couple threads about this on the Specialized forum. Oh, and the main frames between the SX Trail and SX ARE different, an SX Trail shuttle will NOT fit on an SX or a regular Enduro. Soon I'm going to mount a Vanilla R to my SX, I'll let everyone know how it feels with some ride time.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
my friend that owns both '05 SX and SXT measured the stays and the sx actually has longer stays than the SXT. they are the same #'s are bikenweed said just opposite. It doesn't make sense why but that's how it is.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
ufdff15 said:
my friend that owns both '05 SX and SXT measured the stays and the sx actually has longer stays than the SXT. they are the same #'s are bikenweed said just opposite. It doesn't make sense why but that's how it is.
So you're saying the website is wrong? :think:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
bikenweed said:
So you're saying the website is wrong? :think:
Don't sound so shocked, Marzocchi openly admits that they get a headache reading their own site, and what they do find is usually wrong. Giant once told me they checked the site and couldn't find a way to even get into it. After correcting that, they found that none of the bikes had the right names, let alone details. Websites are just info spots and places to gain contact info. They aren't Bibles or lawbooks.

It does make sense that Specialized would just modify an existing frame, as sad as it is. You would atleast HOPE that they would have done something to correct broken frames, however! Warranty or not, I don't care to learn that the rear half of my bike is divorcing the front halfway down a slope. That sucks, I really like the SXT....

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Sorry about getting of topic but When is the separate compression ( High/Low) adjust coming out for the Avy shox's. I thought i heard this was coming out i may be wrong. If it is or isn't would an Avy be a good upgrade for a sx trail 06 that is used for mostly DH. Just thinking so please don't get on my case.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
how well does the SXT work for DH? Because if I do go through with getting one, I will still race it on DH courses with my Shiver. Does it compete well with other longer travel bikes?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
It acelerated better then my friends stap supreme 05. It can fly. and for the flat parts just pedal it out. I have a good solid build and it has held up fine on DH runs at 37 pounds. Im not rally a racer but a DH for 3 hours a weekend on really rocky fast trails. I would tell you to put a little heavier tubes to help stable it out but that it. It is a solid bike.

Here is a pic.

im running M6 ti

Here is another one.