Quantcast

06 world cup blown seals

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
So after riding Diablo yesterday, as i was ready to put my bike on my car I noticed something strange about my fork, the seal was missing on the air cartridge side. Well it was all the way up at end of the stanchion. and so was the black thing underneath it(bushing?). I had like 130psi in it. I don't have a warrenty on it because I bought it off of ebay brand new. So what do have to do in order to get it fixed. I'd rather do it myself if I can rather then give it to my local shop. I remember i saw a pdf file on here a long time ago with the disassembly of the whole fork. Does anyone have that? I'll post pics later.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just so you know just because you bought it brand new off Ebay doesn't mean you don't have a chance at getting it fixed if it's there problem. Hell I didn't even know that forks had to be bought from "authorized" dealers. I know some bike companies do that but I wasn't aware of parts companies doing that.

Something like you posted should be a simple fix. If you don't have the part I'd shoot RS an email with that pic attached or call them. You don't have much to loose. They will either tell you yeah we'll get that part out, or tell you how much it costs.

I think of all the Easton bars, Hayes brakes, Thomson posts, Truvativ cranks........all the parts that are bought online and many still will get warrenty if it fails or is a defect. Buying complete bikes or frames is a little different, but parts usually ok.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
well, if it was air pressure that popped the dust seal, then your problem isnt really the dust seal in itself, you see, there shouldnt be any air pressure on the dust seal at all, it should all be in the stanchion, so if the case is indeed that air got in the lower leg space, then your original problem is most likely a faulty seal at the bottom of the stanchion.

the dust seal you can just cram back in where it belongs with the object of your preference, like a key or coin or whatever.

that black thing is the oil seal btw.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
sn0wboarder said:

i don't think you blew a seal, and the black peice is the oil seal not a bushing.... it seems like you just had a snap ring break (between the grey dust seal and black oil). if it was from air presure your fork would have no presure/spring rate left. and the air seal is at the bottom of the inner leg not on the outer legs anyway.

go to the hardware store and get a new one. push the black oil seal back down, install the snap ring over it, push the grey dust seal back down and ride away.... pretty simple repair

if you are unsure of the part in question, just pop up the grey seal on the other leg and take a look at what is underneath

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
The black seal popped off and caused some oil to spill. So I pretty much have to disassemble the whole leg and pour in oil too. Does anyone know what type of oil goes into that leg? Thanks guys

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
vitox said:
well, if it was air pressure that popped the dust seal, then your problem isnt really the dust seal in itself, you see, there shouldnt be any air pressure on the dust seal at all, it should all be in the stanchion, so if the case is indeed that air got in the lower leg space, then your original problem is most likely a faulty seal at the bottom of the stanchion.

the dust seal you can just cram back in where it belongs with the object of your preference, like a key or coin or whatever.

that black thing is the oil seal btw.
That is exactly what i thought when i read this.

You need to get the seal head at the bottom of the stachion checked out, that shouldn't happen.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
sn0wboarder said:
The black seal popped off and caused some oil to spill. So I pretty much have to disassemble the whole leg and pour in oil too. Does anyone know what type of oil goes into that leg? Thanks guys
you only need a small amount of oil in there. in the new boxers the oil in the lower legs is only there to lube the bushings (not for damping like the old ones.

you are actually supposed to fill them from the bottom. undo the bottom bolts and pull the lowers off about an inch while the fork is upside down... then pour the oil through the bolt hole.

everything you need to know about your fork can be found here (scroll down to about page 9 and you will see it explained.... 15cc of 15wt filled from the bottom)
http://sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-4311-775-000 2006 Boxxer Service Guide.pdf

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
check if you lost pressure in the air spring.
if not, then just relube and reassemble the oilseal/dust seal

if you indeed lost pressure in the air spring, YOU WILL NEED a new seal.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
peachy said:
u also need a bit of that 15wt on the air chamber.

ummm, no.... not unless he takes the air chamber apart and dumps the oil out of it. both the air chamber and damping are "closed" systems in the new boxxer. that means if you take off the lower legs the only oil that comes out is the 15cc that is thre to lube the bushings.

yes, rockshox recomends changeing the 3-5cc of oil in the air chamber every 30 days or so... but in this guys case it is not needed (unless he opens the air chamber and dumps it out)

sn0wboarder... have you figured out if you lost air presure yet due to the air seal leaking? like i said before, if you did not lose any air then the problem is probably just a broken snap ring.

the fact that you said you noticed it at the end of the day when you were putting your bike on the car makes me think that the air seal is fine... if it had leaked you would have had your spring rate cut in half (or almost none at all)... you would have noticed that on the trail when your fork blew through it's travel on every hit.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
julian_dh said:
so is it possible to pry up your seal to clean the inside and drop in some triflow?
yes, and it should be done often. i pack a little grease under mine and then put a few drops of lube on the stachions before every ride to keep everythiing smooth. just make sure to wipe off the excess so you don't collect more dirt.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
I disassembled the leg and did everything the service guide said except for checking the seal. Assembled it back together and put 120psi in. I figured I'll find out if the seal is bad by riding. For the past two days that I've ridden my fork felt fine. Changed my tire today and took it for a spin. It felt like there was 200psi in that chamber. Check the pressure, it says 50psi. Ok somethings not right. I unscrewed the bottom bolt and a burst of air shot at me. Yup blowen seal.