Quantcast

06'888RC2X Question

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
If you have one and are the original owner how was it out of the box?Just purchased one and have a few concerns.Left side top cap cannot get loose(marzocchi said some got assembled with lock tight and to heat it up first).Compresing the fork it feels very stiff/sticky and can hear springs scraping or something making noise(Marz said that they took a little while to break in)all other includeing my 04'888 was butter out of the box.What is everybodies first hand experience?Thanks

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
If you have one and are the original owner how was it out of the box?Just purchased one and have a few concerns.Left side top cap cannot get loose(marzocchi said some got assembled with lock tight and to heat it up first).Compresing the fork it feels very stiff/sticky and can hear springs scraping or something making noise(Marz said that they took a little while to break in)all other includeing my 04'888 was butter out of the box.What is everybodies first hand experience?Thanks
It happened exactly the same to mine. I purchased it a month ago and practically distroyed left cap trying to loose it.... Additionally, right lower is absolutely tight and both cartriges felt very raw.

Vitox found another one with exactly the same symptoms. He replaced the left lower bushing on it, but doesn't get better. It seems is a problem with the left lower drilling or milling. Now is going for guarranty... seems no other choice.

I found a friend who wanted to switch lowers to sell it in better shape and i forgot about the sticky feel. The rawness in the cartriges is close to disapear after 6-8 rides.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Add 3 more...half of my team got them this way! Stiff and a clunking sound inside. You couldn't set up sag or preload. I had mine changed within a week. 1 fork started to work proprely after some hard runs, and the other friend had changed forks lowers after some "medium" improvment.
They are all now working without problems!

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
Its totally normal. When i got mine, the springs were scraping like crazy. I had to replace the springs with the heavy ones anyways, but when i switched them, i realized the stock springs didn't have the rubber coating on them like the replacement springs did. Put in the new springs and the scraping was gone.

The break in took about 20hrs of riding, but it gets better and better every ride. It like butter now, just kind of different than the older 888's which were butter out of the box.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
it took my 66RC2x 8 hours of riding for ten days at whistler till it felt perfect butter. sucks up everything. It is by far now that best feeling fork i have owned.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili

have you tried removing the fork from the crowns and seeing if this sticky compression is from both or just one of the legs?

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Out of the box I was disapointed with mine compared to the 05 which felt great from the start. It took about 5 rides before it started to feel buttery smooth. Mine still makes a sound like oil shooting through a hole, but not like when it was new. I changed the oil after 2 rides to 10Wt FYI...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Fill that beast up with some 'extrude-hone', and ride it for a few hours. That should make all the surfaces mate real nice and smooth.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I think i see some more 'metal flake' oil in your future Mr White.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Mine was good. But I had the Works done to it. It was Tuned for me at Marz and it has been smooth as butta. :biggrin:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Is that some new sales gimmick? Yes the forks were butter before and the "works" upgrade didn't net you anything better feeling really. But for 2006 you'll definately feel a difference from a "works" over a stocker...

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i got my 888 back in april. it has been amazing. i did blow one seal with dirt and got it rebuilt. Prolly could use and oil change right about now. Been a set it and forget it fork!

i've got about 20 days of riding on it and i'm gonna sell it soon for next years air model. I'm super stoked on marz.

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
if you got a chrunching sound its most likely the spring holders are worn. you need to shave them down. UNLESS ITS BRAND NEW.

open the fork up. you need a cassette tool with no middle thing on it. then open it with that. carefully look at how it losens up(the top caps to the damping rod). then use a wrench small enough to fit in between the spring. do both. then take out the springs. the springs will be attached to a white spring holder. THAT IS WHAT IS MAKING NOISE. originally it was to hold the spring very tight so it wouldnt move on the holder. but if it gets loose you have to shave it down. it will take a while but well worth it.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Fill that beast up with some 'extrude-hone', and ride it for a few hours. That should make all the surfaces mate real nice and smooth.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I think i see some more 'metal flake' oil in your future Mr White.
Maybe some Ti springs will smooth it out.

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
im making the post now about how to fix the crunching of the 66rc, 66rc2x, 888rc, 888rc2x.

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
This process is only for the 66 and 88 rc2x models. both use the same damping and structure. on difference is the spring size and travel.

If you are getting crunching from your fork and has not been that way for a while then this is for you.

The bike shop will not fix it since they do not know how. all they will say is to get a new cartridge.
Marzocchi WILL NOT SEND YOU THE PART NEEDED. They want you to send the fork in. THE PART COST $180.

Starting the tutorial

STEP 1

These are the tools you will need.

1. cassette tool(you can buy one without the long thing to stick through the Qucik release hole).
2. a big File. used to shave down the spring holders.
3. a wrench that can fit between the spring coils.

Step 2

this is my 66rc2x. it is being hanged so i can work on it. you must have something to hold your bike.

Step3

take off the caps and screws

Step4

Make sure it looks like this also Take The Air Out Of The Fork.

Step5

use a big socket to hold the cassette tool because you will need some leverage to open the fork.

Step6

The top cap should look like this.

Step7

now carfully push the lower crown up a bit. But not to much that oil comes out.

Step8

now use that thin wrench to hold the red nut so you can twist the can off. Twist the cap counterclockwise. or the way most things losen.

Step9

Now it should come off like this. And the rod should not sink down.

Step10

Now pull the spring half out or almost out since oil will be dripping.

Step11

Clean the spring off so oil wont get every where.

Step12

To absolutly make sure that its the springs and spring holder that are making noise. push the spring top and bottom of the white spring holder together. if you feel vibration and hear noise then that the problem. The spring holder has worn out or was not tight when made. if may not sound like its the problem since its so quite but when it in the fork and mostly hollow it echos and makes 5 times the noise when its in the fork.

Step13

Take a screw driver and stick it through the hole of the spring holder. and pull the spring off of it.

Step14

Clean off the spring holder so no oil is on it. this makes it easier to shave it down.

Step15

now shave it down evenly. it will take a bit of shaving to get what you want. but test it by putting it back on the spring and push them together. the final result should be that it is loose on the spring holder.

Step16

when you think its done, put it back on the spring holder and do the other one. its the same thing on both sides except the black spacer that has nothing to do with this process.

Step17

Make sure the rod is up so you can srew the cap on when you get the srping in.

Step18

the way it shows in the photo is not how you should try to get the cap back on. you need to compress the spring so the cap can go on and touch the threads of the rod.

Step19

Do Not Tighten very hard. just enough so it wont get loose

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
great stuff thanks for posting that.

id pay special attention to the last step, its easy to break off the damper rods by overtorquing them, dont ruin your damper that way!

so, for the original question, this is not the problem, as the 888rc2x is completely different in that part, it does not have a plastic spring carrier but rather a very trick machined out alloy spring "basket".

nycurse: it seems some of the paint on the spring is coming off, ive noticed this can be problematic and sometimes its useful to remove it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What is the crunching sound? My 888 make a grinding or crunching sound when I sit on the bike and turn the wheel back and forth.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What is the crunching sound? My 888 make a grinding or crunching sound when I sit on the bike and turn the wheel back and forth.
That sounds like a king headset to me...

Give DHRrider some time I am sure he wil rip his fork apart (gotta measure for the ti's) , and i will bug him to get back with his findings.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
That sounds like a king headset to me...

Give DHRrider some time I am sure he wil rip his fork apart (gotta measure for the ti's) , and i will bug him to get back with his findings.
Have not got it compleatly apart but comparing the RC2X springs with the earlyer years the new ones are about an inch longer.