Quantcast

07 Boxxer Team rebuild help

Apr 10, 2007
Hi guys, I'm in the process of replacing my wipers and seals, and changing the oil in my 07 Boxxer Team and I'm having some issues and I'm hoping to get some help from the collective.

First, after I took off the lowers I cleaned all the parts and marked where they came from, but I forgot to mark where these 2 rubber washer looking things came from. What the hell is this and where does it go?

It looks like there's only so many places where this thing fits so I took my best guess and stuck it here:

I slid the washer up the damper rod (not sure what else to call it), up against the bottom of the the upper stantion. It seems happy there but I have no idea if that's correct.

I got the lowers back on, and turned the bike upside down to add oil and realized I only had 10W-40. I know it's supposed to be 15w but I went ahead with it. The oil just lubes the stantions so I thought it would be ok. Don't mind re-doing it if its not.

Finally not sure if I got the bolts on the right leg or not. There's a 5mm standard looking bold with a washer which I assume is for the spring side. The other 5mm bolt has no washer, but looks a bit more complicated and has a built in rubber gasket and it a bit longer. Assumed that bolt is for the dampening side. Here's what it looks like. You can see the longer bolt is on the right.

The other thing I noticed was that I seem to be missing the thumb screw to adjust rebound. Turning the bolt with an allen key obviously just loosens the screw and doesn't adjust rebound.

Thanks!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
You got it all correct, the rubber washer is the bottom-out bumper, though usually it just sits in the bottom of your lowers, it's fine there. Your footbolts are on the right sides, if you have a gander at the damper side one, it has hole in it for a 2.5mm allen key to pass through to the rebound adjuster in the damper side. The 5mm allen key is just for removing the footbolt.

Apr 10, 2007
Thanks guys, appreciate it. What about the 10w-40 I threw in there? Think that's ok or should I change it out for 15w? The 15 is thicker right? I did notice I'm still getting a decent amount of oil leaking past the dust wipers and coating my uppers.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Not trying to be a dick but you did put the seals in the right way...right?the writing goes up, little coil spring faces down. You will have some residual oil, just spray fork down with alcohol/cleanstreak.you want 7.5 wt for the damper. doesn't matter as much in the lowers but if you want it done right than 15wt.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
confirming you did change the seals? the oil seals are the second set of seals, the ones below the dust wipers. did you knick the seal surface with the stanchion when reinstalling? if the stanchion cut or knicked the seal surface it will be no bueno.