Quantcast

'07 Cove Shocker vs 08 Turner DHR

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I promise that this isn't one of those threads!

I've been riding a shocker for a fair while now at home in the UK and a season in Whistler. It's a great bike - especially for the big stuff. It's always nice to have a bit of a change though and I've come across an opportunity to do a swap for a DHR (Large). I've not had the chance to ride one which is why I'm a little reluctant to do it on a whim but I've seen a fair few ride reports over time from last year's and this year's model and they all seem to be very complimentary.

So + and -'s of the Cove (imo):

+ Very well balanced bike (weight distribution, no quirky suspension action)
+ Is easy on bushes
+ nice balance between a 'plow bike' and a 'finesse' bike

- Heavy
- Quite short cockpit area (used to this now however)

The reasons why I'm thinking about the Turner is that it is supposed to be more manoeuvrable and with the 2lb weight saving is possibly more suited to the tracks in the UK - tech, twisty etc. I accept that it probably won't hold its line as well as the Cove but it might be a worthy trade-off.

About me:
I'm about 210lbs fully kitted and stand at 6'1" . I like to choose my lines most of the time and am quite aggressive in throwing the bike around to do so but do occasionally get lazy (tired!) and let the bike do the work. I'm used to a fairly low BB on the shocker so don't think that will be an issue and I'll be running the bike with a CCDB (currently on my shocker). I did do a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I seem to remember seeing a post ages ago about a DHR with a CCDB but couldn't dredge it up!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've ridden both and can honestly say you'll be happy with either. Both very, very capable bikes. I'd probably recommend just keeping the Cove and save yourself the "new bike" headaches when it comes to switching components

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Any tips for getting the Cove to corner better (suspension tips?) I have a Cove, but have been riding a Demo 8 for the past couple days. The Demo 8 corners way better, but the Cove is much more comfortable in the air.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Any tips for getting the Cove to corner better (suspension tips?) I have a Cove, but have been riding a Demo 8 for the past couple days. The Demo 8 corners way better, but the Cove is much more comfortable in the air.
Get further up front. If you think some short chainstay freeride bike corners better, you're not pushing hard enough

In response to the thread topic. Get the DHR! The Shocker is a very nice, capable bike - I've almost bought one several years in a row....

But you've never ridden the Turner, so you may as well try something new, you might fall in love with it. You might also hate it, but I'm sure you could sell it for more than you could sell your Cove for.

I've ridden a Shocker 3 different full days in three different settings (Leavenworth, Whistler, Cypress), and it rips.

But I'm on a DHR this season and couldn't be happier.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If it's a new one, yeah. If it's the old one is a whacky uncomfortable feeling glorified huck bike.

The Shocker has a real sweet spot to it for cornering. Try leaning back a little more and keep your feet level through the corner.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Any tips for getting the Cove to corner better (suspension tips?)
What's your spring rate like? With the CCDB, I'm running 40% sag on the back, with the low speed compression dialled up relatively high. The front end is pretty low (41") with a 53mm stem to get as much weight forward as I can. I did run a DHX the whole time I was in Whistler and had no complaints (although you don't know what you're missing with the CCDB :biggrin:) so it's not the shock.

I came from an M3 before the shocker and I can honestly say, I felt that it cornered better although the shocker is so predictable in it's suspension action that it more than makes up for that minor deficit.

I've ridden both and can honestly say you'll be happy with either. Both very, very capable bikes. I'd probably recommend just keeping the Cove and save yourself the "new bike" headaches when it comes to switching components
Thanks Toodles, it's def helpful to hear someone who's ridden both. I'm inclined to agree with you as the Cove is amazing - just got a bad case of "New Toy Syndrome"!

I suppose braking forces comes into this too. I imagine I'll get some braking effects from the DHR whereas I don't really notice it on the Cove. It's been a long time since I rode single pivot (Y2k Super8 that was a pretty bad bike for it!) but I'd like to think my riding style has improved to the point where it won't bother me.

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
I don't have experience enough with the Cove to offer any 1st hand advice, but from what I've heard from other riders (and other posts in this thread) is that the Cove's sweet spot is a little further back, whereas the DHR (which I've been riding since the new one came out) has a sweet spot very much centered over the bike.

The aggressive riding style you describe might be better suited to the Turner.

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
Shocker FTW! I've been riding a shocker for 3 years now. by far the best bike I have ridden. my 2 previous bikes where an Intense M3 and a Giant Team DH. both very capable bikes, but nothing sits in the corners like the cove. This year I put a Vivid on the rear, it's even better now. The bike likes fast rebound but it sometimes got to the point of being too fast and bucking off jumps. but now with the vivid I can have the best of both worlds. It might be on the heavy side, but most of the weight is right down low, giving you that good ballast to keep you upright.
Keep an eye out the frames might get a bit lighter over the next little while.

and it seems to work for Steve Smith.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I too love my Cove. Its lively, but can still plow. Its stable at speed, but can still rail corners. In the steep stuff its amazing. The only downside is its a little heavy, but it can take a beating better than any dedicated "race" bike. Most DH bikes are a creaky mess, even with regular maintenance, after a single season. My Cove is totally solid and creak free after almost two years of riding and racing, even a a really wet week in Whistler. Have I maintained a pivot yet? Nope ;)

I do love the DHR though and actually find it ride similar to the Cove. They are both lively bikes and great cornerers. The DHR is very refined, simple and light. Its got a lot going for it.

If you already have a great bike though, is it really worth it to blow all that money on a new frame? I'd put it into roadtrips, racing and maybe a couple key upgrades to what I already have.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I personally feel a bike named "Shocker" should be a women's-specific bike that's pink and brown.;)

With all do respects to seriousness, you're in a win/win situation. I would say if the current ride ain't broke, don't fix it...especially if you're dialed on it.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm in the rather fortunate position of hardly having to spend any money to do the swap - just shipping which is why I'm having this dilemma!

I don't have any problems with the Cove at the moment and love the way that I only had to change the pivot bearings last week after a boatload of riding!

After all that, I think I'm going to stick with what I've got...at least until they release a slightly leaner version!

faireycakes

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
First of all i have no experience of either bikes
But

If their is a new shocker coming out the value of your current one will plummit for when you want to sell it for a new one
Maybe its worth trading for the turner, seeing if you like it and then if you dont you can always sell it on for a new shocker or keep it if you do, I guess the money you would spend on postage would be saved in depreciation on your shocker when the new one comes out.

I guess you will either think its a good or a silly idea, but none the less it is an idea :lighten:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Get further up front. If you think some short chainstay freeride bike corners better, you're not pushing hard enough
Ah that's a bit rough, as well as incorrect. The shorter chainstay bikes put more of your weight over the rear wheel by default, and therefore you need to get further over the front on them. If you "get further up front" on a bike with longer stays you're going to start sacrificing rear wheel traction.

I'm not denying it's always good to get over the front (on any bike) but just pointing out that your logic is either flawed or nonexistent.

As for the thread starter - I've ridden both too and I'd swap for the turner because it's lighter and still has pretty dialed geometry. Put it this way, if I had a shocker, I'd swap it for the DHR, and if I had a DHR, I'd keep it (or ditch it for a sunday :)).

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
As for the thread starter - I've ridden both too and I'd swap for the turner because it's lighter and still has pretty dialed geometry. Put it this way, if I had a shocker, I'd swap it for the DHR, and if I had a DHR, I'd keep it (or ditch it for a sunday ).
Haha! I must admit the thought did cross my mind! The only thing is that switch would cost me ~$400US and I'm a bit loathe to spend needlessly when I have a bike I'm comfortable with. I'm also unsure what the CCDB is going to be like on that bike given the discussion that was on here a while back (even though CC say it's fine, I'd like to try it before I committed to it).

With all the uncertainty with IH next year, sourcing spare parts might become an issue or it could go the other way and Sunday's could be more desirable than gold :biggrin: