Quantcast

07 Manitou first look!!

J

J5ive

I dunno, its good to see some changes. However, it always seems like they try to do as little as possible to decrease the costs of changing production systems and then hype it up way too much, as if its something new?

The tulio style dropouts look a bitch to me. How many small parts do you want? GO back to the drawing board manitou, start again from scatch and stop trying to label dogfood as 'chunky soup'.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, manitou has decided what kind of damping system you need, so if you want a plush short travel fork for your XC bike, you're out of luck. You are obviously mistaken and you NEED a harsh platform fork.

I also like how manitou is implying that consumers are stupid in the article. Even if it's true, you don't come out and say it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm digging the Nixon, but I'd like to see the Travis...

Manitou seems to have figured out their damping stuff (finally).

Jm_, they're catering to a market segment. XC guys dig the ultra-platform schit. I doubt they're seriously trying to conquer that market anyway, what RS is currently offering (Reba, and a MC SID) blow any competitor XC fork out of the water when it comes down to price v. performance. But, 85% of the people that read this forum really could care less about the R7 and snapvalve.

Consumers are inherently idiot sheep. What's your point?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Jm_ said:
Yes, manitou has decided what kind of damping system you need, so if you want a plush short travel fork for your XC bike, you're out of luck. You are obviously mistaken and you NEED a harsh platform fork.
You realize that plush and short travel don't work well together right? A plush short travel fork will bottom too easily and blow through travel. I think most XC guys would rather have a stiff fork than a plush one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bballe336 said:
You realize that plush and short travel don't work well together right?
Seemed to work fine on my Z2, plush and it didn't bottom.

If you want your short travel fork to work well, and not bottom, adjust the progressiveness of it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
blue said:
IXC guys dig the ultra-platform schit.
No, that's what marketing tells them to "dig". I see that most bike companies have moved away from the harsh platform stuff that was prevalent a few years ago. I think it was and is somewhat of a fad, not that it's actually something people are looking for. Platforms kill small bump sensitivity, which kills traction when going uphill on sketchy stuff, which defeats the purpose of having "better pedaling".

Anyhow, with the SPV system that manitou is using in their forks, you don't really have a "choice", you have to keep a certain pressure in there to make it work correctly, which ruins the small bump sensitivity. Fox, marzocchi, and RS all have systems that allow you to choose whether you want excessive low speed compression damping.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Jm_ said:
No, that's what marketing tells them to "dig". I see that most bike companies have moved away from the harsh platform stuff that was prevalent a few years ago. I think it was and is somewhat of a fad, not that it's actually something people are looking for. Platforms kill small bump sensitivity, which kills traction when going uphill on sketchy stuff, which defeats the purpose of having "better pedaling".

Anyhow, with the SPV system that manitou is using in their forks, you don't really have a "choice", you have to keep a certain pressure in there to make it work correctly, which ruins the small bump sensitivity. Fox, marzocchi, and RS all have systems that allow you to choose whether you want excessive low speed compression damping.
Wait wait...uphill traction on your front wheel? What are you smoking, son?

I agree that SPV sucks-However, it's what the XC guys want. Most of them really don't know how to setup their suspension, all they care is that it doesn't move on the uphills (Think market generalization-how Manitou is marketing the R7 SPV Snap Valve). I used to ride only XC, and I really didn't understand how suspension functioned (or how it was to be setup) until I bought a DH bike. Now, I actually notice how my little 4 inch fork on my XC bike needs to work.

I recognize that many people on this forum (like yourself) are suspension junkies, and will scrunitize and shoot down SPV for what it is-an inferior damping system. However, 75% of the people in the market for a fork like the R7 don't care (see above), hence, the point that it sucks for use in that application is irrelevant.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
blue said:
Wait wait...uphill traction on your front wheel? What are you smoking, son?
Actually, I think it can still apply. SPV would cause small impacts to not activate the front fork, causing your bike to not roll across small bumps, but that force will be transfered to you, and cause your bike to "hang up" on a small scale. No matter whether I'm going up or downhill, I want my suspension to improve my traction...both ends. SPV will keep it from doing that IMO.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
bballe336 said:
You realize that plush and short travel don't work well together right? A plush short travel fork will bottom too easily and blow through travel. I think most XC guys would rather have a stiff fork than a plush one.
you've apparently never ridden a quality short travel fork.