Quantcast

'07 Marz 66 RC2ETA *first ride*

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Thought I would give a quick review of my first ride on my new fork: 2007 Marzocchi RC2 ETA. I'm moving from the land of rollers back to my beautiful Cascade Mountains and wanted to beef up the bike again. I have a 2006 Yeti ASX and shed my last 66 (last year) for a 2006 Z1 Light since I mostly ride XC/AM here. The Z1 was great but 30mm more travel and tons of added stiffness is nice to get back to. I also chose the RC2 ETA because I hate trying to tinker with two compression adjustments and I wanted some travel options for climbs.

Out of the box I was worried. The stiction was horrendous. I've had many Marzocchis and while they all feel sticky out of the box, this was bad. It looked like it was 160mm due to it being stuck and I would have to pull the lowers down every time I compressed it, to get back to 180mm. On another note, the stickers/decals are a little nicer than I expected but when I removed the protective plastic (carefully) some of it did rip. whatever.

So I installed, set my air pressure and did the parking lot ride. Felt a little better with some weight on it but the biggest thing I noticed was my geometry was way different. Duh, it's a longer fork but I haven't been on anything over 170mm since a Shiver DC in 2003 (favorite fork of all time in terms of plushness BTW). I set my air to about 1 psi on the pump gauge but a lot of air could come out if I let it. I like my fork to be nice and soft and don't really mind pedal-bob. I don't huck 8ft+ drops anymore either so compression was set to 2 clicks. Rebound somewhere in the middle, quick but not lightning fast.

Took it out to a nice AM trail with a couple of jumps and lots of roots for a fast pedally ride. Sorry, that's all I've got to ride within 45 minutes. The FR/DH test will have to happen in Oregon. Anyway, noticed right away how responsive, snappy, and controllable it was. Within minutes it started to feel more plush and by the end of my 2 hour ride it almost felt like my broken in Z1 in terms of plushness, and that's saying a lot. Corners were getting eaten up with or without massive roots and it was clear the new geometry and stiffness was altering my riding immensely, in a good way. It even pedaled well! Somehow on a few steeper sections I pedaled up better than with the Z1 and the ETA worked better than expected. I sold my old 66 in favor of the Z1 so I could pedal up but I had no issues pedaling the 07 66 and trust me, I'm not in better shape. ETA pushed down about 50mm and still had give but I cranked it down hard and it set at about 60mm remaining and fully stiff for some steep stuff, so there are a few options with ETA.

I haven't had this good of a ride in quite a while. From cornering, bump and hit sensitivity, to acceleration and steep climbing, I felt like things were improved. And did I mention stiff? Felt like I was back to my old Super T days only so much better. Also, I was worried about going back to a 6.6lb fork from a 4.9lb fork but forget about it. The 66 performed substantially better than I remember and I never noticed the weight or a problem with the greater ride height. Love the fork.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, always go with Marzocchi. No matter how tempted I am by the other brands, I never regret a Marzocchi.

:monkeydance:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
"I've said it before and I'll say it again, always go with Marzocchi. No matter how tempted I am by the other brands, I never regret a Marzocchi."

I couldn't agree more. Good to hear you're happy with the fork. I have an 06 Rc2x and love it but can't wait to see what is comming in 08

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im loving my 07 66. I actually think it feels better than the 06. I know it only has 10mm more travel, but I swear it feels like a full inch more. My buddy rides the 06 and when he gets on my 07 he always tells me how it feels like it has more travel than his 06.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I am coming from an 05 66 and at first did not like the 07. After a couple rides now the fork is starting to breakin..I think this fork is going to be a stiffer fork regardless but its starting to feel real nice. I also love the fact it doesnt rake the bike out completly like my 05 did.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Did you check the oil yet?
I have tuned (3) 66s in the last couple months. All 3 were 10-15ml low on oil in each leg.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Nice. I've got the same fork 66rc2 eta on my '05 ASX, it is money. Mine was super plush right out of the box though, running zero psi in the negative air chamber. Honestly it feels as plush as my old Shiver DC. It's definitely my all-time favorite fork at this point.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Yeah I'll be letting out a little more air next ride to get a true 0psi. Went out again today and my star nut install is sucky so it got loose. Guess I'll have to redo that.

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
man that sounds sweet

i just got my 07 66 sl a few days ago and i gave it a few pushes and it has massive stiction, just like you described; and about 1/3 into the travel it made a little clicking sound and a clicky feeling, it only happend 2 or 3 times, but i don't think it is a good sign. has anyone else ever felt that on their new fork?? with my luck, my fork is probably screwed up.

i don't want to derail your thread or anything but i thought i would throw that question in there.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
How far down should the oil be in the stancions? I have a 07 66rcx2? Also does anyone know what psi the air comes from the factory ?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
For the 2007 RC2X
-They come with about 5 psi. I think they only do this to check and see if they hold air. You will have to check the air.
-Oil level is 60mm from the top or 200ml from what I have been told. Can anyone else varify this? Im just going off the top of my head but Im pretty sure this is correct.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So how would I know if its low? Should I make sure their is 1 psi in my fork? The air is for the preload right? I ride mainly on flats and some bumpy roads but no downhill action unfortunately due to florida being flat

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Does any-one know if the 2007 66 RC2 ETA can be lowered from 180 to 160?

Does Marz offer a travel reduction kit?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Nothing as of yet. Tech will call me back, but sales doesnt show any part number for an 07 66RC2 ETA lowering kit.

Its easier typing here than text.:monkeydance:

Update: Got the call back from Zoke tech.

There is only a 150mm ETA cartridge avail spec'd for the 06 model but should work in the 07 as well. Youll need to pick one of those up, but as of now, there is no 160mm option. The cartridge retails for about 169.99

Lemme know.

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Thanks J-Boxxxer,. Didn't know it was you until i read the feather part at the bottom.,.Haaaa

150 is lower than what I wanted to go, but thanks for the info and research.

If thats the case I may sell my Marz and look into a Adj Travel Totem or Fox Van 36 RC2 for the BR,....