Quantcast

'07 Sunday vs. 7Point

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Well I'm looking at the '07 Iron Horse Bikes, the Sunday and 7Point frames in particular, and thinking about getting one of them. I don't ride trails (Epic/XC) that much, but it would be nice to be able to if I felt like it (and I don't really have an issue riding a heavy bike on trails)... but I'm more focused on each's versatility. I'm all over the 7Point, but the Head Angle is fairly steep for a Freeride bike at 67.5 degrees, while the Sunday has a 65 degree HA. I will definitely make a few (2-4) trips to Snowshoe each season and ride DH occasionally in the North Carolina mountains, as well as hit up the local DJ spots and some local stair gaps, but I will only be able to get to the mountains maybe every other weekend, if that. Ideally, I would get a 6Point and a Sunday, but I don't have that kinda cash right now nor will I have it anytime soon.

Basically my questions are...

1) Would a 67.5 degree head angle be too steep for "legitimate" DH runs and technical trails?

2) Would a Sunday be overkill for occasionally trail riding and occasional dirt jumping?

3) What are all the pros and cons of each bike?

Give me your thoughts. Thanks

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I can't really answer the first question because I don't know much about that technical stuff, but I'd go with the 7point because it's more of an all around bike. I've ridden my friends 7point3 a lot and it's felt really nice, and he dirt jumps with it and he has a boxxer for a fork. I think the Sunday would be really hard to ride trails and dirt jumps, but i've never ridden one in my life.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
if you got the cash get the 07 7.7 it has one of thee nicest specs of any 07 freeride bike. I had an 05 7 point which i just sold and i rode it up at whistler quite frequently and i raced a couple dh races on it, as well as dirt jumped. 7 point is your answer the sunday is a great race bike, but seems to lack in the trail and dirt jump category as well as lack a little in freeride. my .02 cents, get the 7.7

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
7 point, much more versitile, sunday is dh only, putting an 8in fork on it would slacken it a bit if it feels too steep.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Chase did you win the lottery? New hardtail and bigbike?

What happened to your other bikes?
Well since I work at a shop now that opens all kind of doors as far as prices being so low, and I will be getting either a new hardtail or big bike in a few weeks, so we'll see. A big bike as of now will be in a month or two, but I definitely want to start racing some DH and I'll for sure have a big bike by the end of spring. It can never hurt to start figuring out which route to take a little early, you know?

As for my other bikes, I'm getting tired of the size and weight of the Banshee, and I sold the Gemini a few months back, since I never used it much in the winter anyway, but I kinda regret that decision. Oh well.

MouseMonkey said:
he 7point7 can run a front derailleur... that might be a pretty important factor if you want to ride trails.
In regards to the thread, I've always wanted a Sunday with a 888 since I first rode one at Snowshoe. The 7Point definitely seems more versatile, but I know when I went to DH I would wish I had the Sunday. Even though I would ride trails occasionally, I refuse to run a front derailleur, period, so being able to run a front derailleur means nothing to me. I do like that the 7Point has a full-length seat-tube, and the shorter wheelbase, and the fact that it's 3 pounds lighter than the Sunday. Also, my last big bike was a 2004 C'Dale Gemini with a Sherman Breakout Plus 7" travel fork. It weighed about 40 lbs. even and had a 67 degree Head Angle, which felt great even on high speed DH runs, so would the 7Point's 67.5 HA be that big of a difference or would it likely be imperceptible? The rest of the geometry is almost identical to my Gemini, which I loved, so likely the 7Point is the right one, and I just WANT a Sunday more...

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
If you want a sunday more then get a sunday. I would recomend a sunday more then a 7point for Dh at snowshoe and I ride there 8+ days each year on my Bighit FSR 3. If you are getting a hardtail soon too then you can just use that for trails and jumping. Thats what I would do if I were you.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Well if I were to dirt jump on a big bike it would be for big gaps, big drops, stair gaps (basically things I couldn't work up the cohones to do on a hardtail) or on occasions where I wouldn't have my hardtail, that sorta thing. There are some guys around here that ride shorter XC trails (8-10 miles) on their Demos and M1's and all sorts of 45-pound-plus bikes, so I could just start riding with them...haha.

escapeartist said:
What shop are you working at?
Performance Bikes.