Quantcast

'07 Sunday vs. 7Point

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I asked this question in the Freeride Forum, but I thought that it would be nice to have a "downhiller's perspective" regarding this issue.

I'm looking at the '07 Iron Horse Bikes, the Sunday and 7Point frames in particular, and thinking about getting one of them. I don't ride trails (Epic/XC) that much, but it would be nice to be able to if I felt like it (and I don't really have an issue riding a heavy bike on trails)... but I'm more focused on each's versatility. I'm all over the 7Point, but the Head Angle is fairly steep for a Freeride bike at 67.5 degrees, while the Sunday has a 65 degree HA. I will definitely make a few (2-4) trips to Snowshoe each season and ride DH occasionally in the North Carolina mountains, as well as hit up the local DJ spots and some local stair gaps, but I will only be able to get to the mountains maybe every other weekend, if that. Ideally, I would get a 6Point and a Sunday, but I don't have that kinda cash right now nor will I have it anytime soon.

Basically my questions are...

1) Would a 67.5 degree head angle be too steep for "legitimate" DH runs?

2) Would a Sunday be completely overkill for occasionally trail riding and occasional dirt jumping?

3) What are all the pros and cons of each bike?

Give me your thoughts. Thanks

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
maybe you should demo a 7point to compare it to the sunday you demo'd
We have a '06 7Point5 at my shop that I've ridden, but it feels completely different than the Sunday. Not in a bad way, just different. I think I would definitely like the Head Angle raked out a bit more like the Sunday.

Sep 8, 2004
I just bought a 06 7point7 on friday. I've only gotten two days in with it so far... but I have only good things to say about it from what I have experienced. It pedals great and seems to have been carved from butter. If you are worried about the head-tube angle... there are ways to change that a bit. You could keep a 2.5 tire up front, put a 2.35 on the back, and that'd slacken it a little bit. You could also go as far as putting a slightly smaller rear-shock on it. I'd take one for a spin though, it doesn't feel feel too bad... its obviously not as slack as a sunday though.

-James.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
7point bikes are freeride bikes that will handle dh with no problem a sunday is a RACE bike for dh with different geo. Its ment more for pinning a course through technical sections were as the 7point is for doing the 5 foot porch drop. If you arent going to be racing and from what i can read your more into the freeride sceine of stairs and jumps the 7point is more you.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Well I'm more into the DJ/Street scene than freeriding. I understand the Sunday is definitely a race-oriented bike, but they definitely are being advertised as also Aggressive Freeride bikes, and from seeing the way they are built, they would hold up just fine (structurally). Like I said, most of the Freeride stuff around my area is stuff that most any level of FR/DH bike could handle just fine, there is nothing like Santos or Whistler or Diablo around here.

I think what I'll likely do is just get a Sunday and if I find myself really needing more of a Freeride style bike, then save up and get the 7Point5 or 6Point or something, or just get a Totem or 66 for the Sunday.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
No question the Sunday will take whatever you dish out. But I'd think you'd be a lot happier on a 7 point all the times you're not going mach 3. Slack headangle = not so good for dj or slowspeed maneuvering. The only reason I sold my 7 point was because I wanted to get more serious about dh racing. I never felt like the headtube angle on the 7 point held me back no matter how steep the terrain.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
The Sunday are too slack and too sluggish when the terrain is not pointing downhill.

As a Sunday owner , I believe you will suffer on anything not DH.
I keep an old , 4" travel Kona Dawg for trail/4X/DJ and it's so much more fun than the Sunday on the trails.

I have demoed a 7point3 on leveled ground and it felt great - pedals better than the Sunday , nimble and much better play bike .
I truly believe you will enjoy the 7point more!

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
go with the 7point for sure, around NC, a sunday would be overkill, it would still be a fun bike to ride, but a 7 point would do nicely, I wonder how a totem would do on a sunday?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've got to agree with the general consensus here...while a sunday may be doable on level ground, it won't be as much fun. I say get the 7point then add an 888 or Boxxer and rake out the head angle.you can always do something like the boxxer ride, too, and rake it out for dh days.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I have a DH bike and a 7 Point. The 7 Point holds its own on the DH runs, but is much more versatile than a true DH bike. You may be able to pedal a Sunday uphill, but only on smooth trails. The BB is so low on the Sunday that you have to use 165mm cranks (not good for climbing) and even with super short cranks you will be hitting every rock on the trail trying to pedal uphill.

My vote is for the 7 Point and if you want to slacken it out a bit you can: 1. Use a taller fork 2. Use a thick stack head set 3. C'dale makes a 1.5 to 1.125 reducer/riser 4. Use a 24" rear wheel.

socalpride

Chimp
Dec 5, 2006
Encinitas CA
i came across the 7point vs sunday battle when i was chosing a bike to buy. I choose the Sunday, Its ok for trail riding, a little hard even on small up hills, but for dh it takes every rock and drop like butter, perfect suspension, braking, and turning. I even have used it out at the bmx jumps, works fine except its a tad heavy. But the 7points is much better for all around riding, if i were in your spot id take the 7 points because its good for everything you are talking about doing. Both are great bikes and whatever you choose you'll be happy with.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I think he really really really just wants the Sunday.
You are definitely right about that Alex.

But I got a chance to actually ride (more than just around the parking lot) the '06 7Point5 we have at the shop, which has a Boxxer Ride and Progressive 5th Element on it, and it was INCREDIBLE. It blew me away just like the Sunday did when I rode one at Snowshoe, and the geometry definitely feels like it could make some pretty speedy DH runs, particularly when the trails are technical. It was real easy to flick around, hop around, and the 7" of travel is super plush and bottomless.

I definitely agree on the idea of using a 24" rear wheel to rake out the fork if the DH runs got real fast, and even though the Sunday would probably be an OKAY FR bike, and a beast for DH, it obviously doesn't come close to the 7Point as far as versatility. I think the 7Point would be great for DH, as my Gemini was great for DH except for the flexy rear end at high speeds; but not for truly competitive DH racing, which as far as I'm concerned I won't be doing much of.

I think the way to go is the 7Point, and if I find myself wanting to be competitive in DH, then sell it or save up and get a Sunday. But North Carolina has almost every style of riding there is, and since any true DH are a good drive away from where I am, I think versatility is the key for right now.

Thanks for all your help guys and feel free to keep shooting opinions.

-Chase

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Which 7point are you gonna get?
Well I was dead set on a 7.5 for a while, but I would really like to have Compression adjustment on the rear shock, which the 7.5 doesn't have. And since I work at a shop now, I might just go ahead and spring for the 7.7 instead, but I'll see how much each costs and go from there.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would reccomend you get a newer model. My friend has an 05 and it's been nothing but trouble. The 05 Boxxers sucked and his has suffered from hydraulic lock a lot, even at really slow speeds. The 5th Elements that came on those bikes were often mis-valved and were pretty bad anyways. The hardware was mis-specced, and even after replacement of it and links by IH his has play, etc. That thing is a pile.

But if you're looking at a newer one, buy away.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Well I was dead set on a 7.5 for a while, but I would really like to have Compression adjustment on the rear shock, which the 7.5 doesn't have. And since I work at a shop now, I might just go ahead and spring for the 7.7 instead, but I'll see how much each costs and go from there.
nice Chase what shop you working at?
the 7point will do awesome for everything around here

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Have you considered the 6point at all? It definately won't be so DH but it'll jump better than a 7point and it will be significantly lighter for mellow stuff, and more lively. Just a thought.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The Sunday is a purpose built DH bike. Every millimeter, every angle obsessed over and optimized for ging down hill. Even the dw-link suspension is tuned specifically for pedaling on the flats and downhill grades. The Sunday is unreal whrn it comes to going fast in a DH environment, but it is not really meant for dirtjumping and uphill pedaling. This is where the 7POINT comes in. The 7POINT is a little lighter, and designed to be your swiss army knife full suspenison bike. I spent 2 weeks in Whistler with the Iron Horse Developmenty League (Lars Tribus, Dave Smutok, and Len Hornidge) last summer, with several days devoted to back to back runs on Sundays and 7POINTS. Honestly, there are only a couple places on the mountain where I felt that I really missed the Sunday. That was at full clip (Lars speed) on the steeper parts of Original Sin, and on a couple extremely high speed run ups to big gaps (a big left hand kicker off the face of a rock that Nate Adams showed us comes to mind). Other than that the 7POINT absolutely killed it. If you are going to be going downhill only, Sunday. Anything else, 7POINT. Actually, the 7POINT's geometry is pretty close to what 90% of full on DH bikes ran just a couple years ago.