Quantcast

07 sworks enduro vs 08 enduro sl expert

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I can get both of these bikes for pretty cheap (enduro sl will be about 600 more) and cannot decide which one to get. This will be used as my trailbike/mini dh bike. I already have a demo 7 in full race gear, a slopestyle 4-5.5 bike thats geo is to whackey for going up and down, a 26 hardtail, and a 24in hardtail. I weight about 180, ride hard, and will be running the bike on all of our local trails. the s works has a sick sick sick parts spec but i really like the geo and frame design of the enudro sl. give me your thoughts please

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
I would say the $600 extra is worth getting the SL. I've had mine since late october (an 07 pro) and couldn't be happier. It's been getting the majority of my ride time this winter with the lack of lift assisted dh, so my R9 has been collecting dust. From climbing to decending, the bike plain rips on everything. Compared to my old nomad, it is def a more XC oriented, but i have never once felt like i needed to hold back with my riding. I've done shuttle runs with it on less gnar trails, as well as 35-40 mile AM/XC type stuff on it (yesterdays ride, for example--http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=5091083)

mine is set up with formula k18's
gamut guide and 34T ring and 11-32 cassette
Sunline DH bar
and weighs just over 31 lbs

good luck with the decision, you wont be disappointed with either

Attachments

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My shop has a Demo 08 Enduro Expert SL and I've probably ridden 20 hours on it and it's an awesome bike but it's also overkill for about 75% of the XC riding I do. I'm not sure what kind of riding you would be doing with it though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey kidwoo, what was wrong with it and what did you replace it with?

Thanks
It makes a well designed six inch bike ride like a 3 inch xc racing machine.....rough

WAY too much platform damping. It's like they don't want the bike to ride as well as it could.

I've got an rp3 and an rp23 I've used on mine. Both are worlds better. This new turner ripoff design pedals so much better than the old ones. I leave the propedal at the lowest/off setting and never think about it.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
get the sworks, we got 2 at my shop and I sold both of them that day. They're at a killer deal, and they ride great! I own the enduro pro personally.

P.S. the sworks weighs 32.5pounds stock.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
what i really want is to get the enduro sworks and swap the parts onto an sl frame. doubt they can swing it at the shop

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
what i really want is to get the enduro sworks and swap the parts onto an sl frame. doubt they can swing it at the shop
I'm sure if you buy an sworks you can sell the sworks frame for a good profit and get your shop to hook you up with an SL frame at the same time at a good price, and pay for that with what the Sworks gets you.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Get the SL. That bike is amazing. It pedals so efficient that you wont realize you are on a 6 and 6 bike. i rode around on my buddy's Enduro (non-SL) and that bike is good but just feels like a freeride bike to me. the SL can climb all day and literally descends like a DH bike. I have an '07 pro w/ dual ring chainguide, juicy 7's, stan's conversion, at 31 lbs even. Get some.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Go with the Sworks, I work at a shope, and every single SL fork and shock we have had leave the shop has come back needing a warentee, some more than once. As well the suspention feels like CRAP. As well for a mini DH rig the old style will do alot better

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
I've got an rp3 and an rp23 I've used on mine. Both are worlds better. This new turner ripoff design pedals so much better than the old ones. I leave the propedal at the lowest/off setting and never think about it.
Woo, any size compatibility issues switching to the RP23? How much differnt does it feel vs. running the stock specialized shock?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Woo, any size compatibility issues switching to the RP23? How much differnt does it feel vs. running the stock specialized shock?
No specialized finally wised up and used a standard size. 7.875 x 2.25.

Just get an rp23, find the right sized reducers and slap it on.

It's worlds better. That AFR shock has way too much platform damping to allow the bike to work well in my opinion. The fox actually allows the rear end to move without knocking the crap out of it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's the model that was prone to the broken chainstays
A flaw doesn't mean the frame is weaker or stronger it just means the v1 chainstay was bad.

Silverturtle freejib's his monster 40 + lbs SX with 888, Rohloff, DH wheels/tires etc on the rocky harsh trails of MA and he's not a hack or a small guy either...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A flaw doesn't mean the frame is weaker or stronger it just means the v1 chainstay was bad.
Well kind of it does.

When I think weak frame, I think a frame more prone to failures. Maybe just a difference in interpretation.

But still where's the basis for claiming one is stronger than the other?

I dig both bikes and they've always felt plenty stout enough. But I've seen a lot of one variety fail more than the other.

Anyway.....I think the only real reason to get one over the other is in how they perform climbing/pedaling. Both have similar enough geometry that it's kind of a wash debating descending qualities. They both rule. The newer design just adresses the one fatal flaw of the old layout. It pedals much more level without squatting going up hill. Every one of the older style models I've ridden required an undesireable amount of compression damping to pedal well.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know the reason for the high failure rate but it could have been manufactured wrong causing the failure - material/welding/heat treatment/etc or calculation was off in the design so stress was concentrated in the place they failed.

Sometimes if something is too stiff and doesn't flex enough it fails.

Maybe it wasn't flexy enough but it did come in rootbeer:D

If he's buying an 07, I really doubt its an issue anymore...

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
I would say the $600 extra is worth getting the SL. I've had mine since late october (an 07 pro) and couldn't be happier. It's been getting the majority of my ride time this winter with the lack of lift assisted dh, so my R9 has been collecting dust. From climbing to decending, the bike plain rips on everything. Compared to my old nomad, it is def a more XC oriented, but i have never once felt like i needed to hold back with my riding. I've done shuttle runs with it on less gnar trails, as well as 35-40 mile AM/XC type stuff on it (yesterdays ride, for example--http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=5091083)

mine is set up with formula k18's
gamut guide and 34T ring and 11-32 cassette
Sunline DH bar
and weighs just over 31 lbs

good luck with the decision, you wont be disappointed with either
great advice. couldn't have told you better myself!