Quantcast

08 888 ata wc vol. adj.

7lucky

Chimp
Oct 25, 2008
i got this fork a few weeks ago, its amazing and i love it. but the volume adjust seems to do absolutely nothing. it really doesnt matter because i have it dialed and its just awesome..but it pisses me off that i have a knob thats supposed to do something and doesnt. and like 99% of everyone else who has one, im not getting the last inch of travel. but i dont wana hear about that...just the volume adjuster..

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not sure what you whant to hear as you did not actually ask any question......

Anyways, the volume adjuster does the exact same thing as oil volume adjustment...it makes the fork more or less resistant to bottom out. Since like all ATA forks, the air spring is poorly disigned and does not allow the fork to get full travel....you will never notice the volume adjustment. The progression afforded by the vol. adj. pales when compared to the progression inherent in the air spring.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Remove the PAR. Put in a few more CC's of oil into the damper side so the change is more apparant. You won't notice the damper side ramping with the harsh progression of the PAR.

7lucky

Chimp
Oct 25, 2008
Not sure what you whant to hear as you did not actually ask any question......

Anyways, the volume adjuster does the exact same thing as oil volume adjustment...it makes the fork more or less resistant to bottom out. Since like all ATA forks, the air spring is poorly disigned and does not allow the fork to get full travel....you will never notice the volume adjustment. The progression afforded by the vol. adj. pales when compared to the progression inherent in the air spring.
well i guess i didnt have much of a question, i knew what the adj. was supposed to do, but wasnt sure if mine was broken, or simply just didnt really make a difference. so basically if i want the feel of more oil, i have to add oil. haha..awesome.

7lucky

Chimp
Oct 25, 2008
Remove the PAR. Put in a few more CC's of oil into the damper side so the change is more apparant. You won't notice the damper side ramping with the harsh progression of the PAR.
ive been arguing this in my head for a few weeks now. if i remove the par, how does the fork feel? will it bottom out easily? or is it going to be a progressive single air chamber? this is just stupid to me. its seems to me that as is now, im never going to get the full travel. i landed front heavy off an 8' drop sunday and didnt use all the travel. its as if the travel stops at 7''. end of story. and i dont get the requirement of 30 psi more in the par. i hear if you run less in the par than the main, then it will mess up the internals somehow. ive tried so many different settings, and i love the feel of this fork, its incredible. and i do not want to change the feel by taking out the par. unless removing the par maintains or improves the feel.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It is better. Way better. It's also easily reversable if you don't like it for whatever reason.

Benefits:

Ride higher in the travel and less divey (less compression required to compensate)
Better compliance with a higher springrate
Full travel while still being progressive - never any hard bottoming if any at all

7lucky

Chimp
Oct 25, 2008
It is better. Way better. It's also easily reversable if you don't like it for whatever reason.

Benefits:

Ride higher in the travel and less divey (less compression required to compensate)
Full travel while still being progressive - never any hard bottoming if any at all
are you riding this fork?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Sorry for the G dig.
Benefits:
Ride higher in the travel and less divey (less compression required to compensate)Why does it ride higher in the travel? This is the main reason I don't want to remove my PAR piston, I want it to ride high, and in theory, the Par would help me set it up so it doesn't plunge through the mid stroke:confused:
Can you remove the travel adjust while it's apart also? Serves no purpose to me, might as well lighten her up a tad and ditch it.
How much oil are you adding to the air spring to make it ramp up?
How much oil is meant to be in the air lowers ,and RC3 side?
Is the volume adjust the red knob around the rebound knob?
What exactly is the compression knob doing? Adjusting high or low, or the balance between the two?:confused:

Last edited: