Quantcast

'08 MSC schedule is up (but still partially tentative)

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Just complaints? No love for 3 UCI dates (the only ones in the US?) No love for adding SolVista (twice!)? No love for constituting over half of the domestic gravity NRC? No love for getting stand-alone gravity events (w/o endurance)?

Coupla points:
- We could keep Snowmass as state championships for DH and MX. Seeing as it's a UCI level 1 event how would all you Coloradans feel about the possibility of Australians and Californians wearing your state championship jerseys?

- Why does it matter if MX and DH are split? I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm asking because I'd like to hear your thoughts.

- We may move Telluride up by a week. Our date has been set in Telluride for over 5 months. A long while back I asked the Crankworks/Winter Park guys to consider moving their date by a week and was given a flat 'no'. Not super neighborly of them.

- The G3 format has been incorporated into the MSC. As a format it kicked ass. As a business venture it failed miserably. Bringing it into the MSC will give it the participation numbers it needs to stay alive. If we keep going into the whole to the tune of 10-15,000 for every G3 Bigfoot goes under. That means the MSC goes under too.

- there are 8 gravity events in 2008. Maybe 9 if we add Final D. Maybe 11 if we add the two Enduros we're thinking about. In 2007, including the G3 series there were a total of 9. Less events? Yeah, but at worst only 1 less.

Here's the whole schedule:
2008 Mountain States Cup Schedule – tentative

April 12-13
MSC #1, Rabbit Valley Rampage, Fruita, CO
Fruita, CO
Off-road Time Trial (Series Prologue) and XC
* pending USFS and BLM approval
* NRC Event - Endurance

May 2-4
MSC #2, The Chalk Creek Stampede
Nathrop, CO
XC, STXC, DS, MX

May 23-26
MSC #3, The Chile Challenge
Angel Fire, NM
XC, SD, MX, DH
* UCI Level 2 (level 1 pending) MX and DH
* NRC Event - Gravity and Endurance
* NMBS SD, DH and MX

June 6-8
MSC #4, The Sol Survivor (name subject to change)
SolVista Basin Ski Resort
XC, MX, DS (disciplines subject to change)
* NRC Event - Gravity

June 20-22
MSC #5, Wildflower Rush
Crested Butte, CO
DH, SD, XC
* same weekend as CB Fat Tire Festival (Bring yer townie!)

July 11-13
MSC #6, Blast the Mass
Snowmass Village, CO
XC, SD, DH, MX
* UCI Level 1 DH and MX
* possible new DH course
* Gravity and Endurance NRC
* MX State Championships
* NRC Event - Endurance and Gravity
August 1-3 (tentative date)
MSC #7, Full Tilt in Telluride
Telluride, CO
XC, HC, DH, SD
* date pending approval from Telluride
* XC, DH and SD State Championships
* NRC Event - Endurance and Gravity

August 15-17 (tentative date)
MSC #8, Keystone Climax
Keystone, CO
DH, DH, SD (disciplines pending approval)
* UCI Level 2 DH
* G3 format (gravity stage race)
* NRC Event - Gravity
* date pending approval from Keystone

August 23-24
MSC #9, The Eldora Escape
Nederland, CO
XC, STXC (possibly HC)
* Singlespeed State Championships

August 29-31
MSC #10, Sol Squared
SolVista, CO
DH/SD/DH
* G3 format (gravity stage race)
* NRC Event - Gravity
* MSC Gravity Series Finals
September 6-7**********
MSC #11, The Fall Classic, Breckenridge, CO
XC, HC, Circuit Race
* Endurance Series Finals
* Stage race
* NRC Event - Endurance

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Just complaints? No love for 3 UCI dates (the only ones in the US?) No love for adding SolVista (twice!)? No love for constituting over half of the domestic gravity NRC? No love for getting stand-alone gravity events (w/o endurance)?

We love you, Mike. Bunches. :cupidarrow: and the whole big foot crew. You all make it happen, BIG time.

Conflicts just suck, no? Especially when the conflicting events are both of great quality and have a lot of pull in the racing world (ie. Telluride and Bromont, Angel Fire and US Open, or Sol Vista and Tamarack).

Mike, sorry for the lack of love, you guys definitely deserve it and have earned it. Plenty of love coming from the side, cannot wait for this snow to melt and Darners to start and the season to go full swing. Looks like a busy summer and hopefully attendance will continue to grow for the year with all the great additions. Keep it up

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Awww, I'm gonna bake you guys some cookies.

We can't wait either. Just got off the phone with the Telluride folks. Thought I might be able to get confirmation on the date, but it looks like it won't happen today.

See ya,
MM

I will take chocolate chip please. Its unfortunate the Whistler guys are so stubborn about their date, but its good we have a company with us in mind who are flexible. I am really excited to race Keystone on my B-day this year. Cannot wait for the season to start. Keep us posted Mike. Thanks

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Yo Mike,
I'm quite fond of the MSC, and do appreciate how much you and your crew are doing to keep it running. The only thing that I'm curious about is why the gated and DH series points are still combined. Coming from my side, I focus on the DH side of the sport, that being the case, there isn't a chance of my making a top five in the overall, even if I was to win every single DH event. That's my selfish sob story. I do see where you have to be a well rounded rider in order to do well in the overall, also makes sense, it that the reasoning behind keeping the overalls combined?