Quantcast

09 Fox 40RC2, good or bad?

eastcoast_dh

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
plattsburgh, ny
I just bought a bike shop and am taking advantage by getting a new Jamis Bam II this year. It has the new 40 on it and I know from the past that the Fox's have always given me trouble while trying to set it up. I just wanted to know if anybody has ridden one yet and if the setup has changed from the previous years?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have and it is much better than the previous models. I don't think you will have a problem setting it up.
Can you compare it to previous models? What has changed in feel and overall performance? I've heard some nice things about it and I'm curious what has really changed.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Can you compare it to previous models? What has changed in feel and overall performance? I've heard some nice things about it and I'm curious what has really changed.
It is a little lighter due to the shortened stantion tubes and one less internal spacer. It has the possibility of running an integrated stem with the new crown. The damping has been increased meaning that you can run more LSC and HSC. It comes with a blue ti spring which is perfect for me.

Basically it feels smoother. The LSC works much better without any noticeable spiking. It kind of disappears under me and does what it is supposed to more than before. It feels better to me, IMO; however Avy is better.;)

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
BuckoW, what do you tip in at, level of riding, general preference of fork setup (hella buttery, or semi buttery and able to take hucks to flat) ?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm curious is it buttery but dead and giving no feedback or smooth but feels agile and you know what you are riding on?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
BuckoW, what do you tip in at, level of riding, general preference of fork setup (hella buttery, or semi buttery and able to take hucks to flat) ?
I am about 185 lbs.
Expert? Pro? I ride for Scott http://scott-sports.com/gb_en/team_rider/192/ben_walker
I either like semi buttery but can take hucks to flat or a ****load of LSC and can still take hucks to flat. I would like it more buttery but I G-out so much that I have to run a stiffer setup to not constantly clip pedals and have crazy geo whenever things get rough.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
My session 88 came w/ an 09 40 on it - I've never had a 40 before so I only have my 09 to comment on.

Good:
1. Very light
2. Super Stiff
3. Tons of dial in options.
4. Beautiful
5. Very smooth

Bad:
1. LOUD (well it was, my spring was banging around. Took the spring out and flipped it upside down and that fixed the problem)

Note: the spacers have changed. Previous years had 4 spaces on top for the full 8in of travel. In 09 they change to 3 spacers on top which is how it comes stock.

hope this help some -

eastcoast_dh

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
plattsburgh, ny
It sounds like I may like it then. I am about 190 and get into a little more racing than hucking, but it is good to here some positive about it. When I get it in I will have to toy around with it, maybe if I don't like it I will sell it and replace with the new boxxer.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
It sounds like I may like it then. I am about 190 and get into a little more racing than hucking, but it is good to here some positive about it. When I get it in I will have to toy around with it, maybe if I don't like it I will sell it and replace with the new boxxer.
I had an 888 on a Stab before this - I have found that all the controls on the 40 can be a bit overwhelming, but with enough time I'm sure it will dial in nicely.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My session 88 came w/ an 09 40 on it - I've never had a 40 before so I only have my 09 to comment on.

Good:
1. Very light
2. Super Stiff
3. Tons of dial in options.
4. Beautiful
5. Very smooth

Bad:
1. LOUD (well it was, my spring was banging around. Took the spring out and flipped it upside down and that fixed the problem)

Note: the spacers have changed. Previous years had 4 spaces on top for the full 8in of travel. In 09 they change to 3 spacers on top which is how it comes stock.

hope this help some -
Mine is loud too, maybe I'll try to filp the spring around. That sound drives me crazy:monkey:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I ride for Fox by the way so take that into consideration.
So you ride FOR FOX or Scott bicycle and Fox being their sponsored you end up with a Fox product?

Ive been on 40's for 4 years now, I had a chance the test ride a 2009 for a few minutes,didnt have much more time that this on it but surprisingly the weight difference is noticeable or maybe ist just me but its the first Ive noticed when I sat on the bike and pedalled around.As for the performance I cant really comment as the fork wasnt set up for me and didnt have enough time to come up with an honest opinion.

Apparently Fox is saying they've tweaked out the damper but Im afraid they've probably got the best they could have out of that design as the new RC4 is soon to be is replacement.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Mine is loud too, maybe I'll try to filp the spring around. That sound drives me crazy:monkey:
yeah it was driving me crazy - when the fork compresses the spring bows a little in the middle and taps the leg. I read on line that you can try and turn the spring a little and that will work - I just flipped the spring and was good to go.

The spring is on the preload side

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
the 09 40 is amazing....very tuneable, with a practical range of adjustments....stiff, light strong, and it finally comes with shorter stanchions and a direct mount compatible top crown.....you'll love it

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
So you ride FOR FOX or Scott bicycle and Fox being their sponsored you end up with a Fox product?

Apparently Fox is saying they've tweaked out the damper but Im afraid they've probably got the best they could have out of that design as the new RC4 is soon to be is replacement.
No, I ride for the Swiss importer of Fox (Suspension Center) and they also have a WC team.

You can go way farther with the design but it must still be rideable for the masses. The new fork is all the factory tuning that Gee had this season on his forks. But try for yourself because I am obviously biased.

Last edited:

mantra

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Stuttgart Germany
Hey Ben,

do you know when the Fox RC4 forks and shocks will be available to the public?

Cheers Robert

btw. I think we met last year in chatel. I was there with Björn from Thömus/Bern. You were testing a Gambler prototype. Was that you?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
They released 200 already right now. You have to order straight from Fox. I don't think the fork is RC4 but it is tuned just like Gee's fork.

Yes, that was me. When are you coming back?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
yeah it was driving me crazy - when the fork compresses the spring bows a little in the middle and taps the leg. I read on line that you can try and turn the spring a little and that will work - I just flipped the spring and was good to go.

The spring is on the preload side
I've already swapped out the spring with a stiffer one, so I'll try the flip over method. It's kinda frustrating considering how much that fork costs.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I flipped it over an it's better, I think it would be nice if one of the spacers had a spring retainer, that way the spring would be locked in at the top & bottom instead of being loose at the top.

mantra

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Stuttgart Germany
They released 200 already right now. You have to order straight from Fox. I don't think the fork is RC4 but it is tuned just like Gee's fork.

Yes, that was me. When are you coming back?
Thanks for the infos! I think I have to contact Fox and see if they are willing to give one of this forks to me ;)

Have you tried one of those, yet? Can you describe the differenze between Gee´s Tune and the stock models?

Uhm...when am I coming back? I was in LesGets for a few days this summer but that was the only riding I did this year. Some other things beside bikeing showed up in the past but biking is still in my heart so hopefully next year will be better?!
Björn has his shoulder surgery done last month so he will be back in the DH business next year and I got my riding buddy back! Maybe this pushes my motivation ;)

Btw. nice blog do you have! I like the "toolbox backpack roadgab action" most. You guys are nuts ;)

Hope to meet you again and maybe you can show us some nice riding spots or two?!

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Last time I checked avy produced forks.

BTW. What's with my vocabs and what since when avy has sth to do with it? ;)
i was reading the battling over at the BOS s**toy review thread with the fierce avy fans and thought it was funny to mention avy in this thread.

but obviously it was not that funny and i also proved that i'm an idiot, cause i didn't know about their forks. :biggrin:
so, forget that post!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've been debating swapping my '08 Boxxer WC for the '09 40.
I really like my boxxer, but would love to give the 40 a go. There has only ever been 1 40 that I have ever liked the feel of though. The others have felt far to progressive, stiff and sticky. With the price of a '09 40 being cheaper than my '08 WC was I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I sit at 155lbs w/gear. I really like my fork to be buttery but not completely dead, just a tad lively. Is it worth the swap?