Quantcast

09 M815 Saints, 83mm BB and 165mm lenght

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Anyone know if these cranks will ever be available in 165mm? I ordered a set in August, as they said they would be available in September(ordered from Chainreactioncycles, as I am in Europe) Every time the delivery date is pushed back, and it is now in JAnuary, this is taking WAY TOO long!

Any tips?

^joachim^

Chimp
May 30, 2005
My tip: Relax and wait, shimano are known for beeing delayed and is always pushing their deliverytimes further away for every month.

Wrench

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Yes, there are available now, I know Action Bicycle on the east coast has them in stock, Only thing is they are a Distributor so only shop orders.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Where did you order from?

In the UK I have a friend who works for the importer. The first drop in August was virtually non existant, and was mostly for team/sponsored riders. The first main big drop is due mid/late December, so getting Xmas out of the way, January is looking about right.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
They are/have been a few available here in the states....

I think it will be a while for shimano to get up to speed and get stock for all their new stuff. I would guess that they see 165s as the 'least important' as well.

Remember old saint stuff went on sale and out of stock over a year ago, so the design/engineer/build/distribute time is obviously quite long for them.

Wrench

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Okay, I work at Action and know that we have two M815 165mm sets in stock sitting on the shelf's, Plus most other sizes and 09 Saint part's.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So why aren't they listed as in-stock? I think it's a bit unfair that all the sets get reserved for (and then taken by) teams/staff/bla bla bla before customers get some. Feel free to add me to the pissed off list that tried ordering back in August and then got delayed through Sept, Dec, and now Jan.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
They are currently back ordered from Shimano US until January, I have two sets coming my way when they send more out. Untill then, your only going to find them from anyone who might have ordered a set for stock, One set I ordered is spoken for, the others for stock<which I am sure it wont take long to sell>

Last edited:

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
UDI, They are instock right now with shimano aus, just checked. Not cheap though, the 83mms are nearly double the price of 73mm. I can get you a set if your lbs is too crap- order them tonight, have them to you mid next week :clapping:

send pm on farkin...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I don't particularly want to get reamed for them either haha, don't need them in a hurry so I'll probably just bite down and wait for CRC to get them.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
The 73s are only $369AUD with no ring. The 83 is much more expensive due to quantities brought in. The derailleur and shifters are only around $10 more to buy at your lbs than crc, and actually cheaper if your looked after. Which if you were loyal to a shop you would be. So I think shimano AUS is doing a damn fine job.

Getting shop prices has one downfall, you have to work in a shop fixing huffies. Think about it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You know what's win/win? Not working at a shop fixing huffies, not being loyal to a shop, and getting 83mm Saint cranks for $230. If I actually needed cranks I'd be pissed over the wait obviously, but since it's more of a want I think I'm happy to not get reamed.

Seriously I'd be happy to spend 300, but "nearly double" 369? That's not expensive, that's ridiculous. :)

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Its quantities. Buying os is never going to help justify shimano ever bringing anymore in. 165mm is ls way more expensive than 170. Same reason. And thus continues the cycle.

did that math, no fudging.

170mm 83, $409
165mm 83, $539

So I can't blame you, but don't bitch about availability when they are literally one day away from any bike shop in Australia.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nah, my bitch was at CRC (as per the original topic of this thread :p).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well poop. I just checked CRC and now they're saying March (I think). I'm assuming when CRC posts 06/03/2009 that's March in Euroland (it would be June in North America).

Linky

TomkDH

Chimp
Dec 7, 2008
So why aren't they listed as in-stock? I think it's a bit unfair that all the sets get reserved for (and then taken by) teams/staff/bla bla bla before customers get some. Feel free to add me to the pissed off list that tried ordering back in August and then got delayed through Sept, Dec, and now Jan.
I dont see why your upset, you ordered something that was not yet produced or available in august. Of course it will take awhile for things to start coming in but it will definetly be worth it in the end. Shimano really went all out with their new saint grouppo and it shows that they do listen to the riders. The saint cranks do infact come in 165 options for both single and dual ring setups and also in differnt bottom bracket options. you should also consider yourself lucky because shimano has now upped their pricing by a significant amount.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Actually, they were in production back in August (before that in fact). I'm not sure why I'd "consider myself lucky" either, seeing as I have no cranks. FYI prices at CRC are free to vary even if you've already ordered, especially if you are from somewhere other than the UK; exchange rate can cause large fluctuations. The cranks currently cost 20% more than they originally did. Still a bargain, but at this rate they'll never be in stock, so there's no point. A bird in hand...

Might want to get your facts straight before using flawed logic as reasoning again. ;)

TomkDH

Chimp
Dec 7, 2008
yeah fair enough maybe you didnt get lucky because it seems like you missed out on the price hike. Your first problem is that your going through an online dealer rather then shimano direct or through a bike shop who gets it direct. Now that i know this i still dont see why your upset at shimano... if CRC is the one that hasnt delivered? Maybe they've been too low on their booking to order your cranks.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Read post #18, and the first post of this thread. This is about CRC.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Its quantities. Buying os is never going to help justify shimano ever bringing anymore in. 165mm is ls way more expensive than 170. Same reason. And thus continues the cycle.
Eh? Maybe Shimano Australia should smarten up and buy their **** from CRC then.

I find it ludicrous that an Australian wholesaler is somehow unable to be competitive with a UK-based retailer. If the Australian industry wants to survive they need to stop whining about grey imports and conglomerate their buying power, sharpen their pencils and make it worthwhile to buy from them.

The price difference on Shimano cranks from CRC vs. Aussie shops is easily 90 - 100%. I'd be willing to pay marginly more (~10%) to support the Australian industry and shops just to get the easier warranty service. But when prices are doubled, warranty service is non-existant and it's actually quicker most of the time to order from the UK, then no way.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Toodles, I'm not going to argue with you- If you want to buy online, fine. Just don't do a UDI and bitch about it not be available from an online shop in Ireland when it is available here right now. :P

Shimano Australias warranty has always been outstanding in my experience, I think a lot of the time it does come down to the quality of the shop to get a good deal and do the right thing for their customers. This may mean pushing the point. I have gotten busted cranks replaced with no questions asked from shimano, they even included a new bb and chainrings. Last week I got a non warranty repair bill reduced from $122 to $22 from another supplier. Sometimes you just have to bust balls.

While shops struggle though its going to be hard to find quality staff willing to work for minimal wage, people with passion for bikes usually can't afford to hang around. I'm not a pusher of the 'you owe a shop something just because its local' cause. I do think they deserve a chance though. There is shops I would never go to. Shops have tried to sell me 2nd hand steel brake cables as stainless gear cables, deore chains as XT. These are the ones who will fade in time, big or small.

It sounds like you've been burnt and you a bitter. Like a jaded lover. But if found a shop who REALLY looked after you (and not just price!*) and shared your passion, I think you'd find that love again.

Oh, shimano freight is around 2 days. Find a shop who is with the times. They can get on webshop from shimano and view exploded diagrams and get real time stock and price information of even the smallest shimano parts. Other suppliers are starting to catch up. If you want to order something from a LBS, I'd always ask that they confirm the stock and order it while you wait. Only a few suppliers have a min order, just expect to pay for freight if its just one item.

End spiel. Give us a chance.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just don't do a UDI and bitch about it not be available from an online shop in Ireland when it is available here right now. :P
Bit rude. In case you didn't notice, that's what this thread was about (165mm saints at CRC). If you don't like it, don't read it. No one was ever talking about them being available here in sunny Australia.

I won't pay $500 for something here that is worth $250 elsewhere, and I have no reason to "love" a shop when I build my own wheels, rebuild my own suspension, and do everything else on a bike myself - arguably better than a shop at that. The only kind of loving I get from shops here is in the rearend, and I'd like to limit that to disposables like tubes and gear cables where possible.

Not sure about you, but my love is for riding and building bikes, not wasting money. :)

Last edited:

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
bit rude? What do you think the :P is for nutter turd. You might want to remember that I checked stock and pricing in Australia for YOU. As in to help?

Very good, you can work on your own bike, but what is with the mentality that the bike shop is ripping people off? And why is it that people who work on their own bikes wish to rub this in a shops face and spread the gospel word that parts are cheaper online?

Not all parts are double the price, only the odd size cranks.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
":P" doesn't excuse constantly calling me a whinging bitch. Come on.

No one mentioned aussie bike shops at all until you chimed in, that's what I was trying to say! The thread was about them not being in stock at CRC (believe it or not - whinging about an overseas shop rather than a local shop), and when you came in with "well they're in stock in aus" I was like yeah, but at over twice the cost - as if we're going to buy them. Common sense!

I have nothing against local shops, what they do, and the people that support them. I didn't say they ripped people off either, but you have to realise, at $599 (pricetag on 83 x 165 at my local), they might as well not be available here. I'd just be throwing away money.

Aside from that you talk about passion and love, but ultimately a bike shop is a business like any other. Unfortunately over here, getting a decent price on parts (as a customer) involves first spending thousands to build a "relationship" with the store, which might result in a whopping 15-20% discount on parts. You have to agree that it's much easier to buy elsewhere and get larger discounts without having to build any form of relationship at all.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Mind if I ask? What the hell shop is selling 165 by 83 single ring saints for 599???? Jebus, thats just rediculous, I just sold our set last night for 350. We are ordering another set to, kicker is, they sold already.

My question is, At that 599 Price, does it include the chainrings? Because the chainrings from shimano are rediculously overpriced, we have been ordering them without chainrings, saving a ton

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Ah between the aussie guys we've been talking aussie prices ($AUD). Disregard those figures.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah aussie pricing on a lot of gear is a joke. Somehow the Oz bike industry is still stuck with the whole "island country - no other option but retail" mentaility.

When I can get stuff from a country 10,000 kms away to my door faster and for less than half the price of my LBS, you'd have to be mental to think supporting the hand the bleeds you is worthwhile.

j5ive - you're not paying retail on stuff are you? Your point about shops rewarding loyal customers sucks arse. How about just offering "loyalty" pricing in the first place? Or are the shops still banking on those customers that don't know/can't organise OS orders?

Oh and given warranty support here consists of a 'make claim - get laughed at' system and the fact I can buy 2 or 3 of one item for the cost of a single item here in Oz, means losing warranty support by purchasing OS a non-issue.