Quantcast

09 Mavic 823's

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Howdy. I bought a set of Mavic 823 rims back in '09 and had a lot of trouble with them. I ran Maxxis UST Minions front and back (30 psi both) and I pinch flatted the rear (right above the bead) during race practice off some rocks. At that point I threw on a regular Minion with a tube and I think that held. I've ridden this section before on different rims with tubes with no problem.

I had built up these wheels a couple years ago and they have been collecting dust ever since. Trying to figure out what to do with them.

Has anyone else had issues with 09 and later 823's? I heard the rim design was a bit different before 09 and that people didn't have any pinch flat issues.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
That makes sense about adding more air. I may try that.

IH8RICE: I assume u meant Maxxis UST tires? What about just running regular Maxxis tires with a little Stans? Would that hold?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
yes i did.
regular Maxxis tires and Stans would be the best

them ust maxxis tires are more prone to that problem than their regular tires
Then I'm definitely never buying some because I pinch the crap out of the regular ones. I only run tubeless on my 7" (non-dh) bike. Doing it on my dh bike just ends up becoming a waste of money every time I try it.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Then I'm definitely never buying some because I pinch the crap out of the regular ones. I only run tubeless on my 7" (non-dh) bike. Doing it on my dh bike just ends up becoming a waste of money every time I try it.
This is my experience too.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, I pretty much only run tubes on the dh now. I rarely flat so, I think I'll just stick with it. I guess I'll just try and sell the old wheels or at least the hubs.

A little tangent:

Part of this thread was also to figure out what wheels I'm going to re-build on my Heckler. Right now I have 719's with 2.35 minons (single) and stans and I haven't flatted with them yet. However it's become too much of a pain in the arse because the rims have a few small dents and I had to build up so much rim tape to get them to seal. I was thinking of trying some 819's with the same tires and put in a little stans to get them seal. What do you guys think?

Thanks for everyones help. :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Pretty common on every single tire ever made........
No such problems here. It happens to me once a season at best. Maxxis ust have a bit worse sidewalls but they are not nearly as bad as people make them to be if you use stans. Though my light weight may help me a bit but I still hit my rims on the ground fairly often.

btw. I only ran 04 and 07 823s so the 09 may differ a bit. 04 are lighter for sure, 07 weight wise seem similar to the new ones, don't know if they are the same.

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
That makes sense about adding more air. I may try that.

IH8RICE: I assume u meant Maxxis UST tires? What about just running regular Maxxis tires with a little Stans? Would that hold?
I put 1/2 cup Stans even in my UST Maxxis tires. I have run non UST with Stans too. I check them both before each day and the UST holds air better over time.

I'm 210 pounds and run low 30s for pressure, they burp once in a great while but no serious issues. Oh and mine are 2009 823s.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
my 823 are from -10 . I have no problems, after a season, no pinchs, flats. I run Schwalbe tires, normal ones (stans cup added)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
It's a problem with Maxxis UST & 823 rims. I don't have the same issue with Michelins or with Maxxis on different rims. The sidewall is higher on 823s, so it seems to cut into the tyre more on pinches. Stans ZTR Flows (for example) definitely don't come as far up the tyre, and don't seem to pinch as easily.